Jason and Nick do T-Trak Modules

nickhp

Or at least we did in the past!  We started these modules after meeting at a train show in the middle of February 2013.  Finding out we had the same interest in Japanese trains, we decided to make some T-Trak modules.  By May we had assembled a large number of modules!  Shown here are some of the modules, most of them are Jason's.  I made the mountain end module shown with the 10 car B-Train E5 Shinkansen and the godzilla module included in the photographs below and have a couple of other modules not taken to the most recent show where these pictures were taken.  All the other modules are Jason's.

We have decided not to make more modules since we find the size very restricting.  The corner modules are our favorites and they are really 2 modules wide and 2 modules deep and therefore somewhat defeat the purpose of T Trak in the first place...  I won't say I will absolutely never make another module, but I would have to come up with something that really appeals to me in order to use the T Trak footprint again.

Cheers!

Nick

post-627-0-48016600-1381586267_thumb.jpg

post-627-0-24627900-1381586275_thumb.jpg

post-627-0-65569700-1381586288_thumb.jpg

post-627-0-15337000-1381586297_thumb.jpg

post-627-0-43209600-1381586303_thumb.jpg

post-627-0-83151600-1381586326_thumb.jpg

post-627-0-61475100-1381586352_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nick,

great stuff! Yes ttrak size can be limiting, but can get you really creative as in your results! 

No worries that you stray, its your fun you can do that! really as long as you have the ability to move to the height of others and can work out spacings and such you can play with others even when you start breaking some rules! 

love the goji module. ive been meaning to build a disaster scene for our goji on the club layout but just never gotten to it! ive threatened people dangling from a torn up train car, but that may be a bit too far!

looks like you have had a great time with this and can take it out and show it off! even if you dont run with others you have a nice set up to see about keeping on with some trains shows or other events! really encourage you to do that! this kind of set up really shows the creativity of ttrak and train modeling more than the really standard ttrak layouts. this is when you see the wheels start turning in folks heads that are not modelers yet!

cheers

jeff

I like the two end modules.

My opinion of T-TRAK may differ slightly.  The modules might be smaller but you can be very creative with what you can do in a small space or spread over several modules.  My club is doing more and having more fun with T-TRAK than we did with N-TRAK in the previous thirty years.  Lately we have been getting into single track modules and return loops to add variation to operations and my latest ongoing project is working block signals on the main lines using Digitax detectors and CML Electronics signal boards because it's not unusual for us to have up to ten trains running.  We made the change to T-TRAK because of the ease of setting up compared to N-TRAK, we can have a 50+ module layout up and running in thirty minutes once we decide how we are going to arrange the modules where we previously had to arrive and set up the night before and were still at it when all the other exhibitors had gone home or back to their motels.  T-TRAK is the best decision we have ever made and we have never looked back.

I really like that corner module with the E5 running over it.

On the T-Trak modules being small, that is because the original concept was named, but Romen Module (路面モジュール) http://white.zero.jp/t-trak/ by RailMagazine Models, implying the use of the modules for trams and not full-size heavy rail. They were made to be easy to carry in a small container (e.g. a simple cardboard box) on a train, not to be a hindrance during transport. They are also cheap and easy to make as a basis, which allows for quick, low-cost and simple modules, but also for very elaborate detailing.

Personally, I'm a very big fan of T-Trak and have already proposed to a friend I'm building a layout with to build our project loosely based on T-Trak standards for easy removal and expansion. With the right approach, you can make modules in such a way that they have almost seamless transitions (like your station module) or even attack the concept with double, triple or even quadruple length/depth/height modules (yes, height is also possible!). As long as you stay in the dimensions of T-Trak, you're good to go.

If you are not going to run with others the other option is to just go sectional. Create your track plan on top of convenient sized bases and just have track joints at the base joints. This way you can have more track plan variety as well as the portability. You can't maxi and match modules, but you can expand at junctions. This is how we did the JRM layout to get a more complex track plan than by going modular. Really depends on what you need/want. Can never have it all, but sectional does well if you don't care that much about running with others or changing modules around.

We looked into some modified ttrak ideas with front, center, back junction points, but we could not easily get the scene features we wanted without going really big in layout size. This then needs more transport...

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

I think the rural curve with the E5 is my favorite, but they're all impressive.

And the Goji scene is just perfect. Exactly what he should be doing.

The end module with Kato unitram, the double straight module with bridge and the corner module with river and bridges are all for sale at our local train show this weekend. All modules for $300 total. Decided to do something new but need to make space first!