My shinkansen layout project

macdon

Mardon,

Another video of a ship delivery of a Shinkansen. Pretty small ship and very rectangular cargo ship and not much dock space needed.

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/8047-e7-delivered-to-depot-in-rifu-cho-sendai-area/?p=89563

Construction set from tomytec on sale gets you the two cranes

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360778740138&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:3160

Two car e2 for cars

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10003462

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
Mardon,

Really like your paper structure of the ship! Maybe I missed the post, but where did you get it? Do they have more ships?

Thanks Bernard ......... and yes, they do have more ships!

http://www.conysmodellbau.de/download.html

Its a german website so you need to translate it via google. Its 1:160, so just right for the shinkansens (though, not exactly prototypical).

If you'll be doing the "MS Dan", this website can help as it has lots of construction photos.

http://modellbauer.forum-aktiv.com/t2738-eisenbahnfahrschiff-ms-dan

Hope that helps!

Mardon

• Like 1
Mardon,

Another video of a ship delivery of a Shinkansen. Pretty small ship and very rectangular cargo ship and not much dock space needed.

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/8047-e7-delivered-to-depot-in-rifu-cho-sendai-area/?p=89563

Construction set from tomytec on sale gets you the two cranes

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360778740138&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:3160

Two car e2 for cars

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10003462

Jeff

Thanks Jeff!

Yup, saw that video this morning while I was doing some searches on E7/W7 (could be my next shinkansen).

Though it may not be prototypical, but im thinking of ferrying in the cars that somewhat connects to the elevated shinkansen yard......... something like a dedicated track where I could place any type of train to run on the shinkansen line (for fun or testing purposes). But im still on the fence with that - just those ideas that come and go in my head  :icon_scratch:

I still need to plan the other commuter line - one line is done (and im having fun running that huge ground level oval!) but the second line may have to take a different route that serves the inner city. 

Mardon

For some reason, the shinkansens are scared to run my "dead man's curve". Its just a 2" drop anyway if they cant make it! hahaha! :D

post-1282-0-10080600-1385025896_thumb.jpg

I obviously lack just 2 pieces of track and it took more than a month to get here, so now atleast the trains could stretch their legs. 

Along with that arrival, the 455 series green liner that I got for $50 from MTP will be my first commuter train for the shinkansen layout. It has strong headlights and a real steal for the price! Thanks Nariichi-san!

post-1282-0-17534600-1385025937_thumb.jpgpost-1282-0-52335400-1385025958_thumb.jpg

Im also in the process of planning a tram line, so I ordered the Tomytec Toyama Centram.  In hindsight, maybe I should've gotten a portram instead since I'll be making a port too? 

post-1282-0-10793400-1385025980_thumb.jpg

For the tram tracks, I ordered a few kato 6" tight curves to play around with and to check if they could mesh well to finalize the layout shape. 

Again, I lack some straight tracks to be able to join the circuit so need to order more I guess. 

post-1282-0-90360800-1385026001_thumb.jpgpost-1282-0-33703500-1385026026_thumb.jpgpost-1282-0-39273700-1385026049_thumb.jpgpost-1282-0-55526700-1385026073_thumb.jpgpost-1282-0-92239400-1385026097_thumb.jpg

In the mean time, Im powering both the commuter and the tram lines with my 852B varipulse  handheld throttle. I feel that the tomytec trams are moving fast using regular throttles, so I am thinking if I would need that Tomytec tram throttle (battery operated?), get another varipulse handheld or another MRC dual controller for both the commuter and tram lines.

Mardon

Some updates..........

I guess one of the advantages of having a decal mounted on sintra board roadway is the ability to cut it easily with a sharp xacto knife.

I cut the roadway in the middle to separate both lanes to put in tracks for the tram line.

post-1282-0-53527400-1385454040_thumb.jpgpost-1282-0-45728400-1385454069_thumb.jpgpost-1282-0-92335200-1385454090_thumb.jpgpost-1282-0-06602100-1385454113_thumb.jpg

A unplanned and totally unexpected surprise addition to the shinkansen layout is this 6-car Tomix "Kamome Express" that I got locally for about $35! Really happy to have it!

post-1282-0-93332500-1385454132_thumb.jpgpost-1282-0-38612400-1385454152_thumb.jpgpost-1282-0-80297900-1385454198_thumb.jpg

I also did a short video of testing the tram line:

Mardon

• Like 2

the tram passengers will need a ladder to climb up to the island platform.  might be better for getting 2 LRT low platform stops, puting 1 near the current island stop, and one in the carpark out the from of the viaduct station.

kato on is awesome as you can turn it into a island setup also.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10241360k/50/1

150mm curves right?

Edited by katoftw
Martijn Meerts

You should change the title of the thread considering it's long since gone way past a 'shinkansen oval' ;)

• Like 1

the tram passengers will need a ladder to climb up to the island platform.  might be better for getting 2 LRT low platform stops, puting 1 near the current island stop, and one in the carpark out the from of the viaduct station.

kato on is awesome as you can turn it into a island setup also.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10241360k/50/1

150mm curves right?

Yup, I was deliberating on that.  I was planning on making 2 commuter lines, thus the V15 and island platform. I may still go with that if I ever find the space to run the 2nd line. The tram line could be detoured.

However, there is still hope for that island platform - both ends of the platform are ordinary kato platforms and I scratchbuilt a platform out of sintra to join both ends together and fit the V15 opening.  I could actually lower half of that platform for the tram.

Yes, 150mm (6") curves - kato 20-174

Mardon 

Edited by macdon
You should change the title of the thread considering it's long since gone way past a 'shinkansen oval' ;)

Done :D

I actually thought only the mods could do that, but with the 'more reply options' I guess now it could be done. Thanks!

Mardon 

Don't most layouts start out as ovals....then you see a train you must have...and another, and another....then you want to run them all, so you need more track....and before you know it you need more room in the basement and ask the wife, "Do we really need the washer & dryer? They take up so much space!"

Don't most layouts start out as ovals....then you see a train you must have...and another, and another....then you want to run them all, so you need more track....and before you know it you need more room in the basement and ask the wife, "Do we really need the washer & dryer? They take up so much space!"

Hahaha - story of my life, man! :D

Mardon

Wow, this keeps getting better and better Mardon. You've got it all from the viaduct to the compact corners. I quite like your different stations.

Todd

I'm already telling my wife that we don't really need a toilet in the basement. :)
Wow, this keeps getting better and better Mardon. You've got it all from the viaduct to the compact corners. I quite like your different stations. Todd

Thanks Todd!

Its really a mix bag in my head, so trying to play things around. With my previous large oval, I got overwhelmed with what to plan within with various ideas coming and going. I just couldnt get those ideas to jive together.

Changing the oval to the shape of V11-V16 gave me more focus to plan the layout in quadrants or to think of them as modules as the layout left blank spaces.

After completing the V11-V16 shape, my first impression was that it looked kinda smaller than my previous oval - however, making the new layout shape required more viaduct tracks which also means that I have now a longer run time on the same size table.  The end curves also made the trains bank longer than with my previous oval - its really great to see banking trains!

Mardon

I was curious to see all moving trains in all track lines............

Just pardon all the non-prototypical direction and movements.

Mardon

• Like 1

Yes they were all running too fast specially the tram as it was just sharing one controller with the commuter as I need to get one more throttle. Placing it in true tram speed will not move the commuter much. 

Mardon

Yes they were all running too fast specially the tram as it was just sharing one controller with the commuter as I need to get one more throttle. Placing it in true tram speed will not move the commuter much. 

Mardon

Sounds like it is time for DCC.

Great layout too.  I'm so jealous.  I'm still currently setting up my layout on the floor and packing it away when finished.  You think with over 10 meters of track, 4 engines and 10 cars, I'd be a little more advanced in my plans.

Edited by katoftw

Wow Mardon That's an awesome layout. I wish I had that kind of space. Is that 4x8? Where did you find your roadway decals if you don't mind me asking?

Edited by Thomas