My shinkansen layout project

macdon

On 6/5/2018 at 4:45 PM, JR 500系 said:

Cool Mardon!

Are those 2 different layouts? Looks amazing! Cant wait for its completion!  🙂

Hey Sammy! Yes sir .......... 2 different layouts. Bounded in the middle by the stairs that goes down to our 2nd floor. The shinkansen layout on the right has about 11 feet, while the steam layout on the left has only 7 feet in length. Maybe one day I'll join those 2 layouts! Hah! Been thinking about it for years!

IMG_6238.jpg

• Like 2
On 6/5/2018 at 11:44 PM, cteno4 said:

Ha that itch got too great! Glad to see you playing with trains again! Only great things can happen...

jeff

You said it Jeff.........an itch thats gotta be scratched! 😄

On 6/6/2018 at 8:00 AM, gavino200 said:

Very nice! Is that going to be a big river crossing the layout? What technique are you planning to use to make "water"?

Thanks Gavin! Yeah, either that or I just forgot to put a 2'x4' styrofoam in there! 😄 I thought about a river .......... been thru a cityscape awhile back so kinda "been there, done that" bit so maybe just all nature this time. 2 mountains, bounded by a flowing river in the middle.........serene! I'm definitely gonna fall asleep watching this layout! 😄 

• Like 1

Never had steam trains before.........nor a turntable, so this would be my first steam layout! I'm stoked! 😄

Just putting tracks down and learning to operate the TT .............. trying to see if they could fit the small space.

IMG_6240.jpg

• Like 4
8 hours ago, EF57 said:

i really like the easemented curve on the steam overpass!  how’d you do that?

Thats a combination of 3 x 20-150 curves and a single 62mm straight track which I joined together and placed it on a 3mm thick sintra board. Drew the track pattern and cut out. I then added about 1/4" sintra long strips glued under to provide stiffness as well to equal the height of a kato viaduct (10mm). I then marked off where each track joins together to cut out a rectangular hole on the bottom of the sintra stiffener so I could install some kato plastic viaduct s-joiners so they could clip to the 2" kato piers.

Still wip as I needed to add side railings as well as paint it, but for now just trying so see how viable it is as well as let trains run :)

Mardon

• Like 1