Bouncing ideas around for a small/micro urban layout.

rosskin92

Hey all,

I got a Pocket Kato Freight train a while ago, and I've put it into the back of a cabinent for a while before getting interested in model railroading again.

I'm looking for some opinion on a small/micro urban layout, something more than just a circle, I want to add some switches to make it interesting.

Size im looking at is 36"-36", 24"-36 , 12"-36". Maybe something in between.

Any ideas of what to do? Supplies to use? I have left over atlas N scale track... looking to use what I have before getting new things.

Edited by rosskin92
Mudkip Orange

You could do a 24x36 with the Atlas 9 3/4" curves, but you're really squandering the capabilities of pocket line/b train if you stick to that size.

Make the switch to Tomix mini-rail and you could come up with something ridiculously complex, a la Toni's Sagamiko Line... or at least have the option to grow in that direction later.

One of our club members did a 2x3 coffee table layout with a over and under and a bit of a siding puzzle out of a big bag of old atlas track he was given buy another member. Quite fun. Lots packed into a tiny space

Jeff

Okay, while I was sitting in the O'Hare airport transit system, and idea hit me.

Why not build a small railroad based in or around an airport?

It could be point to point, compact and combining two of my favorite forms of transit.

However, I dont know what to use for passenger stock.... looking for a two car EMU, what types are there out there?

Mudkip Orange

If you're freelancing, any two-car EMU would work. This is a common train type outside of the major urban areas.

Tomytec's railway collection skews heavily towards two-car EMUs.

• Like 1
If you're freelancing, any two-car EMU would work. This is a common train type outside of the major urban areas.

Tomytec's railway collection skews heavily towards two-car EMUs.

I like that two car EMU that you have in your sig :) I found it as a Kato item.

I found it! :) http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10015305

Question about scaling.... Looking at airplane models, very few come in 1:144, the usualy N-Scale for US type trains. But then I realized they come in 1:150, very few but enough. So I should go with the 1:150 scale, or 1:200, which has more models but may look weird. 

Ontop of that, I am looking for a track design software with the Mini track in the library. I dont have a mac, so I cant use the one that Toni used

I was riding the Metra home from Chicago when I decided to play around with any track:

One of the ideas I came up with:

Basically a U shape, airport in center, trains around it

post-514-0-26876200-1380914368_thumb.png

Edited by rosskin92

Just a thought, what about completing the loop with a tunnel between terminal 1 and 2? There are several airports in the world with railway tunnels underneath it and doing it that way doesn't make it look like a boring roundy roundy.

Edited by Densha
  • Like 1
Just a thought, what about completing the loop with a tunnel between terminal 1 and 2? There are several airports in the world with railway tunnels underneath it and doing it that way doesn't make it look like a boring roundy roundy.

I think thats a great idea.

going off of that:

I think thats a great idea.

going off of that:

post-514-0-71348500-1380918007_thumb.jpg

Mudkip Orange

I like this idea.

I think you could probably get away with mixing 1:144 and 1:200 items if all your 1:200s are large (e.g., 747/787) and all your 1:144s are small (e.g. helicopters)

This is a cool idea for a layout.  I don't think I've ever hear of anyone doing an airport railway before. Plenty of layouts with airports next to the tracks, but not an airport layout.

The layout could change also, exploring some shelf layout options too.

Once I buy the track , and an airplane to use for scaling, then i will decide.

Also, who is a good vendor for Tomix Fine Track? I live in chicago btw, is online the only option?

Edited by rosskin92

well tomix is starting to distribute thru walthers now in the us, just not yet doing finetrack. if and when they do im sure the markup will be quite a bit more than what you can do ordering from japan.

bttrains was starting to stock a lot, not sure if they are continuing with more stuff after bob's death (i would email them first to check before ordering).

ordering from japan is very easy and shipping sal is not much more than priority mail and takes 2 weeks and is pretty safe. just keep it under 2kg (4lbs) per order or the sal shipping rates go up! EMS is the express option, but can be very pricy for larger shipments.

ms motoko is fmodels.jp. you can email orders <order@fmodels.jp> to them and they will get you a total and paypal request will be sent. its usually 15-20% off list.

jeff

Hakone!

I always suggest Hakone.  The Hakone Tozan Railway is picturesque and well patronized.

The train is nostalgic:

DSC_0328.JPG

There is variety in rolling stock:

hqdefault.jpg

and the scenery has drama:

Hakone-Tozan-Hayakawa-Bridge.jpg

Product is made by Tomix, Micro Ace, and Greenmax.

Also, to get to Hakone it is best to take the Odakyu Romance Car from Shinjuku: http://www.odakyu.jp/english/romancecar/lineup/  This is a nice range of product to collect, especially the older series that are now out of service.

This is not just my idea.  Someone in Netherlands has made it: http://home.wanadoo.nl/reinoud.kaasschieter/railway/hakone.en.htm

I hope you will consider.

• Like 1

is the Hakone in MTS ? I remember driving a train around it, could have been a different line.

I love that small layout some one made. I would feel bad copying it though! 

I love those cars. I see them getting much use on my layout.

I started a new thread to discuss the plan more in detail,this one was just for ideas ;) Link:http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/7970-first-layout-airtrain/

Just an fyi- I'm a university student with big dreams and limited resources, so I don't expect the project to progress fast. I'm budgeting years for it to come to fruition :P

In the meantime, I may build a micro layout just to test my modeling skills first before i plunge into the big AirTrain one. I don't know yet, im still researching prices and such

Also, if any one is looking for or knows some one looking for Santa Fe locos, cars, and american models, pm me. I've got some im going to clear out to make room for more japanese ones.

Edited by rosskin92

Hello Mr Rosskin92,

So sorry, but what is MTS?

If resources and funds are scarce then I recommend you build linear T-track modules or similar and abandon the idea of a loop layout.  That way, your layout can grow with time, resources and funds.

• Like 1

He probably means Microsoft Train Simulator (MSTS is the more common abbreviation). If I remember the Odawara line was featured in the game. On wikipedia it says also a part of the Hakone line was included but I can't remember you could drive a train on that line.

Wow I really dropped this one. Thus is life, been extremely busy with school and such it seems

I re read the posts here and agree that modules is the best. I have a small freight switcher from Kato currently, but I would like to add a Hakone style pax train. All in good time!

I've rethought the idea, I still want to go with the airport theme but extend it into a connector to a town. I am on a Alaska whim at the moment, so I was thinking about using Alaska Airlines/ Horizon Air planes in this examples include: http://www.airplaneshop.com/productdetail.html?tablename=ALLITEMS&id=18835 , http://www.airplaneshop.com/productdetail.html?tablename=ALLITEMS&id=21408. I am thinking about basing it loosely off of Juneau, where the airport is separated from the small city.

I am going to plan this very slowly, and work on it here and there. I still want to do it but I am not sure if now is a good time :P If I were to start I would start with the airport area and go from there. 

I am thinking this as a preliminary route:

Airport-> City-> Mine/Industry (Gold Mine, Fish Hatchery/Processing). This will give me a mix of operations and an excuse for me to fly Combis/cargo planes out of the airport too!

Edited by rosskin92

Why don't 3D print 1/150 planes? Buy some 3D plane files, scale it to 1/150, then ask Shapeways to do it. Also you can always ask your neighboring modelers to paint your planes if you can't do it by yourself.

1/144 planes looks weird with 1/150 trains.. Except if you're running 1/148 UK trains.