Magazine series- build a N scale freight layout

bikkuri bahn

Hachette Japan has released the first issue of a series of magazines that will enable purchasers to build a 725mm X 1278mm freight-themed layout.  The length of freight cars and freight trains lends themselves well to having a reasonably proportioned compact tailchaser layout.

http://www.kamotsu.jp/home.html

Oh man, this is very tempting, but the price increases from ¥490 on the 1st issue to ¥1,790 on the 2nd and up. Buildings look like cardboard or thick paper prints (which isn't necessarily bad), but the tracks look... Hmm... Strange to say the least.

Glad I'm not into freight trains, otherwise I might have bitten :D

Guest keio6000

The total price will be extraordinarily expensive for what will be an unoriginal layout using second quality components. Whats the interest in this for all but those entirely new to the hobby?

• Like 1

Some like painting by numbers and like the idea of the step by step approach. Modeling community is large enough in Japan to probably find a good size crowd with such preferences.

Jeff

Im imagining something like the bookcase that our trains comes in - but in this special package you get a single locomotive, a few tracks, some paper models and maybe a bit of scenery turf. Next subscription could be a single rolling stock, some tracks, paper models and turf again......so forth and so on. By the end of the subscription, you got a completed layout done by stages and gets you to save up till the next subscription.

If the bookcases could be interlocking, then they could be the layout base or something......

Apologies for letting my imagination run..... but could be a good idea?

Mardon

This has been done with tomytec stuff a couple of times with a layout by subscription. I think it ended up like $1000 for a small layout if memory serves me right. Not a cheap way to go, but for some folks it's a much more comfortable way to go.

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

Are these the Tomytec dioramas you're referring to:

http://www.1999.co.jp/search_e.asp?Typ1_c=104&scope=1&urikire=0&andor=0&scope2=0&sortID=0&SFlt_f=0&SFilter=Series&ItKey=Diorama+Set

$1000 is indeed expensive (Well, the greatest hobby in the world isnt exactly cheap anyway) and im sure we could do for a lot less knowing what we know now. However, newbies need guidance or they may end up buying stuff that they may not use. I've been on that boat before too.

Mardon

Out of the blue, a couple of large boxes arrive yesterday containing 30 of so of these weekly 'magazines' - it appears a relative in Japan had been collecting them for me!  So it is a chance to provide some belated feedback. 

I am not one for these subscription type projects as I think in terms of what the final cost will be rather than what you may get out of it each week. But after going through these I do think that they serve a good purpose and they would encourage people into the hobby.

The project is to create a steam era diorama.     http://www.kamotsu.jp/home.html#feature01top 

The weekly magazine and contents is packaged to a size similar to the Tomix / Kato 7 car cassettes thus  overseas postage would not be viable.  The price of each is 1790 yen - thats about 3x Big Mac meals in Japan.

Each magazine is about 12 pages which may not seem like a lot, but as it comes out each week it does provide a lot of reading.  It is not aimed at a particular sector - they contain instructions for beginners through to prototype diagrams with dimensions that a scratch builder could use.  They go into binders for storage and as a reference.  Although text is in Japanese, the photos are 'English' and I particularly like the number of historic photos included.  

The attachment varies each week but typically contains something like a length of track, a plugin LED; and a building kit or freight car.

The trackwork and turnouts are similar to Tomix in overall appearance but more generic and no doubt to a lower quality.  Buildings require glueing - more like GreenMax than the Tomytec snap togethers.  This is in keeping with the build aspect of the project.  Freight wagons have the appearance of the Kawai range.  I note that they are not weighted which is not really needed for their intended use.

I am pleased to see the emphasis placed on weathering techniques as there is nothing worse than looking at a steam depot where everything is in pristine condition.

So for the right person, this subscription method would be a good hobby in itself, with the weekly 'feeding' keeping ones enthusiasm over a long period of time - especially if someone else is paying!

Bob

Edited by gcmr_new_zealand

This has been done with tomytec stuff a couple of times with a layout by subscription. I think it ended up like $1000 for a small layout if memory serves me right. Not a cheap way to go, but for some folks it's a much more comfortable way to go.

Cheers

Jeff

Kodansha has issued at least two layout series usually around JAM using Tomytec components.  Here is a blog on one of the Kodansha subscriiptionsIt is only 60cm x 45cm or 24″ x 18″. Its probably as much aimed at the non-railfan as the railfan. Or maybe more people attracted by the diorama itself, with the lights and railway providing a bit of automation.

The project is to create a steam era diorama.

This is something strange... The track system looks different from all the manufacturers i know, the turntable has only half the tracks connected and the rest is just decorative, while the freight cars look like kato and the buildings have tomix style pegs. Either the company is making everything from scratch or they are sourcing everything from the cheapest source. Not to mention the special 3 way turnouts that almost look like tomix, but not 100%. I can't really imagine how all this would end in a complete and working diorama. Does anyone have more info about them?

Google translate from the site's QA:

Q.17 final issue What issue are you?

A.17 It will up to No. 140.

Q.18 Or will be sold separately (power unit)  controller?

A.18 It becomes undecided. It is scheduled to be guided by the publications in the future.

Q.19 Can you tell me information about locomotive?

A.19 It becomes undecided. It is scheduled to be guided by the publications in the future.

Q.20 Joint part of N gauge do you connect with other products?

A.20 It is not possible to substitute to other companies for this collection dedicated parts.

Q.25 turntable electric are you?

A.25 It will be manual.

Seems like they don't really know where the whole thing is going...