Nagaragawa Railway game

I had been hoping someone would attempt to bring a train sim to 3DS! It looks like real video footage too like Railfan.

The only downside it appears is that according to the listing for the game on Play Asia, it is not a region free game but only compatible with Japanese and Asian 3DS systems. This is a shame considering that 99% of 3DS software carts are all region free.

I might have to just buy it and if it doesn't work on my Australian 3DS, I'll have to try and get a cheap Japanese 3DS.

Someday I'll sell my EU 3DS and get a Japanese 3DS XL. The screen of the normal 3DS is way too small for viewing 3D properly anyway. And there's much more interesting games in Japanese too.

E231-500, thanks for pointing out the region compatibility.  Too bad, I thought this might be a reason to get the 3DS.  Is that site's info usually reliable?

E231-500, thanks for pointing out the region compatibility.  Too bad, I thought this might be a reason to get the 3DS.  Is that site's info usually reliable?

Yeah play Asia is usually good on checking compatibility before posting to their sites. One of my side hobbies beside Japanese railways is collecting video games and I have quite a few overseas games (mainly Densha De GO of course!). I think I'll get me the game and a Japanese 3DS LL and see how good this is :-)

I'll also try it in my AU 3DS and confirm compatibility for anyone here if interested? I don't have a US 3DS though I'm afraid.

I'll also try it in my AU 3DS and confirm compatibility for anyone here if interested?

I'd be interested to know if it works, but definitely don't do it on my account, that's one expensive experiment.  I'd like to get a 3DS or something, I recently got a fairly decent android phone and although the phone itself is cool, to be honest I'm not impressed with the gaming on it (plus there are no railway-related games I've found).  I've got to wonder why this game publisher chose to apply region coding on this title.

We'll on the up side if you were to get a japanese 3DS you would be able to play the Yamanote 100th Densha De Go on it as well. It's an original DS game but the 3DS is backward compatible with DS games

miyakoji, my credit card just wants to thank you for posting about this game :-)

I just ordered a copy. Funny thing was that even with FedEx shipping to Australia, the game only comes out about $10 more expensive than buying most new release 3DS games here from retail stores.

On arrival I'll try it in my Aussie 3DS, and if it doesn't work......back online to get a Japanese one!

Someday I'll sell my EU 3DS and get a Japanese 3DS XL. The screen of the normal 3DS is way too small for viewing 3D properly anyway. And there's much more interesting games in Japanese too.

I can recommend the XL. The original 3DS is good for little hands but the XL makes a huge difference for people with big hands. The games are stretched out to fit the larger screen so although they look better on the original screen the picture on the XL screen is still pretty good.

I have had the XL in my hands before and you're starting to think the normal version is designed for children' hands. The XL screen has the same resolution as the smaller so it doesn't look bad at all!

Received the game today - Confirming does NOT work on Australian 3DS system.

Will hopefully get a JP 3DS soon and then post up a few impressions of the game.

I know a little japanese but tend to fluke my way through japanese games. Helps being a train driver by trade. Anyone on here who lives in japan can help me obtain a JP 3DS LL.

*Edit - My wife is gonna kill me now! Just bought a Japanese 3DS LL off ebay.

Edited by E231-500

We'll, for those who are interested, I received my 3DS LL and have given this game a whirl.

For a handheld game it is actually pretty good. I have managed to get driving pretty easily even though I know little to no Japanese.

The controls are both touch screen and button, with the D-pad providing acceleration and the buttons controlling the brakes. The top L button controls the horn. As for touchscreen control, the handles are all manipulated with the stylus and are all pretty self explanatory.

The game utilises real footage in 3D for gameplay with it being sped up or slowed as driving permits. Those who have had the luck of playing Railfan on PS3 would know what this is like, but the 3D adds a unique touch. Unfortunately working with film footage also means on slow speed the video becomes very choppy, but it does not detract from the gameplay much. Especially as when you are stopping at the station you tend to monitor your distance and speed meters more than look at the track to get that perfect 0cm stop.

The only drawback so far is the fact that I needed to buy a Japanese 3DS to play it, as the 3DS is a region locked console. However I managed to get a system from japan for cheaper than a local (Australian) unit and free EMS postage to boot! A plus for me is that with the japanese system I can also play japanese eshop games I want but can't get here in Australia. This game coincidentally is avaliable on the Japanese eshop.

I will be giving the game a bit of a rest for a few days from tomorrow (Pokemon X and Y come out here tomorrow) but once I get into playing it a bit more I will try to provide some screenshots or even a video if anyone is interested.

• Like 2

Haha, I got sorta tired of Pokemon years back. It's just all the same and Black and White weren't interesting at all.

But good to hear it working over there!

Well, 2+ years later...

To date Sonic has released 5 more of these games:  Kashima Rinkai, Eizan Dentetsu, Omi Tetsudo, Yui Rail, and Jomo Denki Tetsudo.  It appears that these are only for Japan-region systems, like the Nagaragawa version.

Sonic's own videos on YT:

Eizan

Jomo

• Like 2