TV program heads up (2)- 9/29 (sun.) TV Tokyo, 7 Stars in Kyushu

bikkuri bahn

Just finished watching the program.  The trainset had its interior fitted out in Nagasaki by a staff of 70- perhaps due to the proximity of shipyards there, with contractors experienced in fitting out the interiors of cruise liners? I must say the interiors are, as mentioned elsewhere, a bit overdone, especially the lounge/common areas, but the corridors are better, and the en-suite washrooms are quite nice, with hinoki (Japanese cypress) shower stalls and sinks made of Arita ceramics on the design of a living national treasure craftsman.

To allow good views of the lineside scenery, the speed of the train has been slowed down in places (in one case from 50km/h to 20km/h)- the test train had a JR Kyushu scheduler on board who had a string diagram handy to make notes.

• Like 1

if they were boat fitters they would have been howling that that moulding in the tight spaces was going to both make things feel smaller and really cause a lot of bruising! but heres the designers plans go at it i guess...

most of the cruise ship interiors ive seen are not much wood, but look more like most resort hotel corridors... fine yachts definitely are not usually decked out like this at all. there it would be teak and sleek styling and if done in an older tradition with moulding then they would have done it low so that the relief came thru to the eye, but not to the shoulders and elbows. 

I actually grew up on an old motor yacht from the 20s that was later turned into a research ship. much of the beautiful old moulding detail was still there and amazing how you could slip along it and never really hit a hard bump! horizontal mouldings were also just at the right height and with just enough relief to just get enough hand grip along the wall if you lost your balance, but w/o looking like there was a rail or anything there at all at times. really is a neat design trick.

jeff