E7 intermediate cars being test run inside KHI plant

bikkuri bahn

It doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. What I find the most interesting point is that the livery is mainly white with an old fashioned (even partially blue) stripe; the old Shinkansen style livery that was gone from the JR East Shinkansen network after the 200 series retired. Yes, the E6 looks a bit like that too but it's just not close enough in my opinion.

To me the paint scheme looks a lot more refined and dignified than most recent JR East Shinkansen, maybe JR West told them to tone it down a bit.

maybe JR West told them to tone it down a bit.

:laughing4:

It's a nice change, and it looks really good.  I wonder if these will be transported by barge, or if they'll go by conventional line on temporary bogies.

Edited by miyakoji
maybe JR West told them to tone it down a bit.

Could very well have.  Given that the Hokuriku Shinkansen is a joint JR East/JR West operation, using a paint scheme with a strong corporate identity on the E7/W7 sets would have likely been nixed.

:laughing4:

It's a nice change, and it looks really good.  I wonder if these will be transported by barge, or if they'll go by conventional line on temporary bogies.

My guess: the trainsets manufactured by Hitachi, Kawasaki, and Kinki Sharyo will be transported by ship to the Tokyo area, where they will be transported by special wide trucks to the railyard at Omiya for setup. Trainsets manufactured by J-TREC will be transported by truck to Omiya for setup.

(By the way, has anyone announced where the service yard for the E7/W7 trainsets will be located? I'd favor either Toyama or Itoigawa for the service yard locations.)

"Hey there younger cousin! Looking shiny!"

220px-183_Kitakinki_Osaka_20070908.JPG

I'm not sure if the residents are liking this enormous depot in their rural landscape...

Pffft. Japan and landscape aesthetics. :D

• Like 1

The front looks a bit like the Class 395 Javelin and E2 combined. I still find it remarkable they suddenly don't do aerodynamic noses as the E5 and E6 have.

bikkuri bahn
The front looks a bit like the Class 395 Javelin and E2 combined. I still find it remarkable they suddenly don't do aerodynamic noses as the E5 and E6 have.

Since the maximum service speed for the Hokuriku Shinkansen is 260km/h, the specialized nose designs of the likes of the E5/E6 or the N700 are not necessary. A shorter nose design also may offer more revenue space in the form of more seating.

N700's also have much shorter noses than the E5/E6 have. Is that because the E5/E6 operate at a faster speed of 320km/h which is higher than the 300km/h of the Tokaido Shinkansen?

N700's also have much shorter noses than the E5/E6 have. Is that because the E5/E6 operate at a faster speed of 320km/h which is higher than the 300km/h of the Tokaido Shinkansen?

It's possible that the E5/E6 nose shape was specifically designed to handle speeds much higher than the current 320 km/h limit. Could we be seeing speeds as high as 360 km/h north of Omiya all the way to Fukushima by 2016? 

Given that the Hokuriku Shinkansen is limited to 260 km/h (161 mph) top speed, that's why the nose shape is a bit more blunt, just like the Hitachi-built 800 Series trainset used on the Kyushu Shinkansen line between Hakata and Kagoshima-Chūō stations.

There are reports that barges have been moved to the dockside location at KHI's Hyogo Plant.  Perhaps in preparation for a delivery of E7 units to JR East this week??

Chatter on twitter based on spyshots this evening that the first E7 trainset will be based at the Nagano Depot (code 長ナシ)...

• Like 1

Ugh, another duckbill design. (It's nt as bad at least)  I know the E/W7 were going to be like the E5/E6, but still.... at least figure out a way to engineer a shinkansen with decent picture windows. I've been on commerical jetliners with more side glass.

BTW: Whats with the end of the video where you can see a JR-H 735 there? I thought the delivery of those were complete?

Edited by Shashinka
spellcheck fail