Planning a trip to Japan for November

Darklighter

I’m currently planning a trip to Japan for the second half of November.
On my last trip (18 days in October 2009) I spent some days in Kyoto and Tokyo, visited Osaka, Nara, Kanazawa, Nagoya, Takayama, the Kiso Valley, Matsumoto, Matsushima, Kamakura/Enoshima. I wanted to visit Shirakawa-go, Hakone and Nikko but didn’t make it (due to bad weather, loss of motivation and taking the wrong train :blush: respectively).

This time I want to visit:

Kanto:
- Nikko
- Railway Museum (Saitama)
- hobby shops in Akiba
- Asakusa, Tokyo Station, Nippori Station, Ochanomizu Station
( - Hakone)
( - Ghibli Museum)
( - Gundam Front Tokyo)

Chubu:
- Oito Line, Koumi Line
( - SCMaglev and Railway Park (Nagoya))
( - Shosenkyo Gorge (Kofu))
( - Fuji Five Lakes/Fujikyuko Line)

Kansai:
- the stations I’m modelling, i.e. Seta (Biwako Line) and Ikebe (Kintetsu)
- Koya-san

- hobby shops in Osaka
( - Saga-Arashiyama)
( - Modern Transportation Museum in Osaka)

Chugoku:
- Hiroshima
- Miyajima
- Okayama

Kyushu:
- Nagasaki
- Kumamoto
- Aso-san

I'm thinking about taking a flight to NRT and spending 4-5 days in Tokyo (day-trips to Nikko, Koumi, etc.). Then I would travel to Kyushu (stay for 3 days), then to Hiroshima/Miyajima/Okayama (2 days) and finally to the Kansai region (4-5 days) before leaving from KIX.

Can you recommend other railway rides, museums, sights, cites? What is the best railway museum? Any other suggestions?

Hi Darklighter

Sounds like a fun trip....Westfallen has done numerous rail trips to Japan and has shared many photos/videos of his experiences....he'll give you excellent information on planning out your trip!

Where to start?

The museums in Saitama, Nagoya and Osaka are all worth a visit and they are all different in their own way, if you haven't already been there and have an interest in steam then the Umekoji Museum in Kyoto is worth a look as well.

A good day trip while in Hiroshima is to take a Shinkansen west to Shin Iwakuni, watch a few expresses go by then go for a trip into the mountains on the scenic Nishikigawa Railway, maybe return via Iwakuni and Miyajima, time permitting.

Thanks for the tips, westfalen!

What are your favorite railway lines from Kyushu to Kanto (scenery- or operation-wise)? What do you think of sightseeing trains like the Kurobe Gorge Railway or the Saga Scenic Railway? What are the best places to film freight trains other than container freight trains (I guess there will be enough of them on the Biwako Line)? An EH200 with tank cars would be great.

Kyushu to Kanto is a lot of territory, but a couple of spots come to mind and I'm sure others will.  In Nov 2010 I spent a day on the Sanyo Main Line to the east of Hiroshima videoing freight trains, you only see containers here but all eastbound trains have one of Japan's last pusher engines on the rear helping them up the grade.  This year my friend and I are planning on spending a good part of the day at Kiyosu (the second station north of Nagoya) on Nov 29th watching freight trains.  There is a guy on Youtube who spends a lot of time there and has posted a lot of video of what you can expect to see including limestone and tank car trains, he gives the time and train numbers of passing trains, here is one from just a week ago, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa0IE3kCZMc, the train at about 4.25 is interesting and a couple of limestone trains toward the end.  The tank car trains headed to and from Nagano via the Chou Line often have EH200s and you get a good view of the freight tracks from the station's island platform, the busiest time seems to be mid-morning.  Closer to Tokyo Yono station, a couple of stops before Omiya on the Keihin-Tohoku Line has a similar view of freight trains and I saw several EH200s (along with just about every other electric loco operated by JR Freight) on container and tank car trains and could be included in a visit to the Saitama museum.  Of course you can just sit in the observation deck or cafeteria at the museum and watch them go by.

I've ridden the Kurobe Gorge and Saga Scenic Railway in 1994 and 1997 respectively and would recommend both.  The Saga line is a trip in open sided cars behind a DE10 through the bottom of a river gorge on a former JR mainline bypassed by a new line cut through the mountains and connects at Arashiyama with JR and the Keifuku Railway so could be combined with a trip on that railway.  The Kurobe Gorge is also an experience twisting and turning up a steep sided mountain gorge through tunnels and around impossibly tight curves and you get a good look at the dams and hydroelectric works the line was built to help construct.  Not to mention its proximity to Toyama with its trams, portram and the Chitetsu.

• Like 2

Hello Mr Darklighter,

Please allow me to provide some advice on your forthcoming trip to Japan:

Tokyo:-

- I highly recommend Ghibli Museum.  However, you must buy your ticket online NOW.  Tickets for any month are sold on line for international customer two months prior to the date of visit. That is to say, tickets sold on-line in September, are for visiting in November.  At least, this is what I have been told.  Purchasing the ticket will give you freedom to attend any time on the appointed day.  If you purchase a ticket in Japan (I'm not sure you can), you will need to buy one week in advance and you will be allocated an arrival time, which you must be sure to attend at that time.

Hakone:-

- I highly recommend Hakone also, although I cannot fathom why so many tourists go for just a day trip.  There is so much to see and do that I must recommend that you have an overnight stay or leave Hakone to a future trip.  My wife and I prefer to stay at Hakone Setsugetsuko, Gora because of the excellent food and hot springs.  If you make the journey, please be sure to use different Odakyu service in/out to experience different train journey.

Shosenkyo:-

- The 215系 Holiday Rapid View Yamanashi operates on weekends between Kofu and Shinjuku.  It is not the fastest service, but by purchasing a seat on the upper floor (left side going to Kofu, right side return) it is by far the best way to enjoy the view.  The 215系 Holiday View Yamanashi service is due to be retired soon.  I recommend this schedule:

- 07:30 - Azusa 3, Shinjuku, Platform 9 - E257系 - Please buy your bento box at Shinjuku station.

- 10:15 - Arrive Kofu Station Platform 1

- 10:25 - Bus to Shosenkyo, leaves in front of Kofu Station, timetable below.

- 11:13 - Arrive Shosenkyo Taki Ue.  Use ropeway to enjoy view then take lunch.

- 14:30 - Start 4km gentle walk to Shosenkyo-guchi - generally down-hill and about 1.5hrs at "Obaachan" speed;

- 16:00 - Arrive at Shosenkyo-guchi bus stop;

- 16:11 - Bus to Kofu Station;

- 16:41 - Arrive Kofu Station;

- 16:48 - Holiday Rapid View Yamanashi 215系 to Shinjuku, depart Kofu platform 2. Please buy bento box at station;

- 18:55 - Arrive Shinjuku

Alternate morning trip to travel E351系 before it is retired next year (but I offer similar alternative for return journey later):

- 08:00 - Super Azusa 5 depart Shinjuku, platform 9;

- 09:28 - Arrive Kofu

- 09:45 - Bus to Shosenkyo

Kofu-Shosenkyo Timetable here: http://yamanashikotsu.co.jp/noriai/timetable01.htm  The first table is from start of April to end of November.  Yellow table, second column, 4th row is 10:25 departure time.  They take 30 minutes and cost 570 yen to "Shosenkyo-guchi", 40 minutes and 800 yen to "Greenline Shosenkyo", and 50 minutes and 870 yen to the terminal stop "Shosenkyo Taki Ue".  So sorry, I cannot remember the bus number.

Here is Shosenkyo tourist map: http://www.shosenkyo-kankoukyokai.com/images/SHOSENKYO%20GUIDE%20MAP%20A.pdf

WARNING: Shosenkyo will be quite busy in Autumn, especially if you attend on the "best" week of color.  If you miss the bus at 16:11 please wait for the next bus and follow the following plan:

Highly recommend: Alternative return trip if you miss 16:11 bus or wish to ride E351系, or experience Minobu line and experience 313系 and 373系

- 16:41 Bus to Kofu

- 17:11 Arrive Kofu Station

- 17:16 Depart Kofu Station platform 5 or 6 (side-by-side) on 313系

- 17:24 Arrive Minami-Kofu platform 2

- 17:52 Depart Minami-Kofu platform 1 on 373系 Fujikawa Wide View Express

- 17:57 Arrive Kofu.  Please purchase your bento box ready for the final leg of the journey.

- 18:05 Depart Kofu on Super Azusa E351系

Osaka:-

- I recommend visiting the Osaka Aquarium.  They have a huge cylindrical tank with, amongst other amazing things, a fully-grown whale shark swimming around.  The giant crabs at the bottom of the tank always amuse my wife, who likes to speculate on what they are saying to each other based on their posture.  I also admire the jellyfish displays.  We usually take an evening admission around 19:00 followed by a late dinner.

Hiroshima:-

- You must enjoy the Hiroden - the trams of Hiroshima. http://www.hiroden.co.jp/en/

- Please see the Peace Park and museum

- My wife and I like to take lunch at Shukkeien Garden.  There is a restaurant inside the garden.  There are volunteer staff at the front gate who can show you around the garden or the way to the restaurant.  http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3403.html

Nagasaki:-

- You can travel on 885系 to Nagasaki.  Kamome 5 from Hakata at 07:17 is 787系 and the finest train trip you can have.

- You must also enjoy the trams of Nagasaki.

- Please see the museum, it is superior to that in Hiroshima, I think.

- I recommend Gunkanjima if you stay overnight in Nagasaki (because it really takes a lot of the day) http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4414.html

- If you enjoy walking and views please consider the Dutch Slopes http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4409.html

- Many international tourist like Dejima, the man-made island port for international trade with the west. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4408.html

- If you like temple please visit Kofukuji and the surrounding gardens. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4401.html

- Before leaving Nagasaki please visit the excellent variety of food shops in the railway station building which sell a multitude of delicious desserts.  There is no stopping my wife ...

Kumamoto:-

- You can visit Kumamoto Castle

Beppu:-

- When we stay at Hakata (Fukuoka) we like to take a day trip to Beppu:

- 07:17 Depart Fukuoka to Kokura Shinkansen 500系

- 07:34 Arrive Kokura - please buy your bento box breakfast in Kokura Station

- 08:00 Depart Kokura to Beppu on Sonic 3, 883系 (please purchase ticket for seat on left side.

- 09:22 Arrive Beppu

- Take bus to visit Jigoku (Hells) http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4702.html

- Walk to Onsen and enjoy hot spring bath http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4701.html  I recommend private bath and lunch at Hyotan Onsen.

- You can then take afternoon Yufuin-no-mori back to Hakata http://www.jrkyushu.co.jp/english/train/yufuin_no_mori.html but you need to be at Oita station by 15:00.  NOTE: You must book Yufuin no mori as soon as you collect your JR Rail Pass because the service is very popular, especially on weekend.

I hope you find my advices helpful.  Of course, don't forget to ride the Shinkansen 800系 Tsubame to Kumamoto.  You can take it one  way and ride N700-7000/8000 the other way on Sakura.  It is valid for JR Rail Pass.  So sorry, you cannot use your JR Rail Pass for Mizuho services.  We were in Kyushu just one year ago.  If you require further information please don't hesitate to ask.

I wish you the very best for your trip to Japan.

• Like 4
Kurobe Gorge Railway is a really nice line. The best season for this line is in November. Autumn colours!

It's a bit far away from your route - but if you can squeeze it in, you will not regret it!

A glimse of what you could expect: (Nov 10, 2008):

http://bae.se/kitayama/photos/W081110-041.JPG

But as I metioned, it could be bundled in with a visit to Toyama and it's trams and the Chitetsu and the trip across from Nagoya is very scenic.

should probably visit the railway museum in bentencho osaka

it`s closing down soon.

I wonder what will happen to their steamers.

Some of the collection at least will go into the new museum JR West is building at Umekoji.

Thank you all for the great input!

In the meantime, I have made a first draft of an itinerary and booked the flights.

I decided to leave Hakone, Oito Line, Kurobe Gorge Railway, Beppu and Koya-san for the next time.

Thu 14 Nov 13      NRT->Tokyo (Asakusa, Tokyo Station, Nippori Station, Ochanomizu Station)
Fri 15 Nov 13        Tokyo<->Nikko
Sat 16 Nov 13      Tokyo (Railway Museum Saitama + Railfanning, Akiba)
Sun 17 Nov 13     Tokyo<->Fujigoko
Mon 18 Nov 13     Tokyo->Shosenkyo->Koumi Line->Tokyo
Tue 19 Nov 13      Tokyo->Okayama (garden, castle)
Wed 20 Nov 13    Okayama<->Matsue (Izumo Taisha, Adachi Museum of Art, castle)
Thu 21 Nov 13      Okayama->Hiroshima (Peace Park, Hiroden, …)
Fri 22 Nov 13       Hiroshima<->Miyajima
Sat 23 Nov 13      Hiroshima((Railfanning)->Nagasaki  (Mount Inasa (at night))
Sun 24 Nov 13     Nagasaki (Dutch slope, Glover Garden, Dejima, Peace Park)->Kumamoto
Mon 25 Nov 13    Kumamoto<->Aso
Tue 26 Nov 13     Kumamoto (castle)->Osaka
Wed 27 Nov 13   Osaka->Seta Station(Railfanning)->Ikebe->Osaka
Thu 28 Nov 13    Osaka<->Nagoya (Railfanning + Railway Park)
Fri 29 Nov 13      Osaka<->Kyoto (Arashiyama, Saga Scenic Ry,...)
Sat 30 Nov 13     Osaka->KIX

I'm thinking about combining the trip to Aso-san with a ride on the Yufu/Yufuin-no-Mori but I can't find connections involving the Trans-Kyushu Limited Express using Hyperdia. (without this train, the tour would take very long) Doesn't it operate in November?

The part between Tokyo and Osaka will change considerably, if I decide to ride some of these special trains (I found them on this very informative site):

Rapid Holiday Kaisoku Fujisan / Rapid Yamanashi Fuji (Shinjuku<->Lake Kawaguchi)

Rapid Setouchi Marine View (Hiroshima<->Mihara)

Limited Express Aso Boy! (Kumamoto<->Miyaji)

Rapid SL Hitoyoshi (Kumamoto<->Hitoyoshi)

A Ressha de Iko (Kumamoto<->Misumi)

Which offer the most interesting rides?

How difficult is it to get reservations for these trains?

Further questions

Are there less freight trains on the weekend?

How can I find out which train operates on a specific service?

Are there less freight trains on the weekend?

How can I find out which train operates on a specific service?

Most mainline freight trains operate 7 days a week.  It is the special traffic trains and single customer trains that often have irregular or weekdays only schedules.

I don't understand your second question.  Do you mean rolling stock?

Hello Mr Darklighter,

Please allow me to provide further assistance with your vacation plan.

1. I believe you shall be somewhat rushed to see everything listed for your day in Nagasaki.  I suggest making the Peace Park and its Museum a priority, then Dejima.

2. Yufuin-no-mori does not display on Hyperdia.  The line between Kurume and Chikugo-Yoshii was washed out in the storms last year.  Services recommenced on August 24.  I believe it is running normal schedule. 

From Kumamoto 10:28 to Aso 12:00 on Aso-Boy101. 

From Aso 12:44 to Oita 13:45 on Kyushu-Odan-Tokkyu 4.

Lunch at Oita

From Oita 15:03 to Kurume 18:47 on Yufuin-no-mori 6 (the only connecting service to Aso, via Oita)

From Kurume 18:55 to Kumamoto 19:16 on Shinkansen Sakura 565.

However, I fear you will not be able to fit this journey into your schedule, especially if you are travelling with friends who are not willing to sit on the train all day.

Thanks again!

@bikkuri bahn: Yes, I mean rolling stock. For example, what rolling stock is used for SHINKANSEN YAMABIKO 127 on November 15?

@Ochanomizu: I'm travelling alone, so no problem in this regard. But because I want to spend at least three hours at Aso-san, I wouldn't make it to Oita on time. Too bad, there isn't an earlier Aso-boy. I guess it's best to leave the Yufuin-no-mori (in combination with a visit to Beppu or Yufuin) for the next time.

However, I came up with two alternative trips:

Kumamoto 10:36 -(A-Train)-> Misumi 11:14 | 11:21 -(A-Train)-> Kumamoto 11:59

Sightseeing/Lunch

Kumamoto 13:55 -(Aso-Boy)-> Aso 15:14

Nakadake Crater

Aso 18:36 -> Kumamoto 20:08

Kumamoto 9:44 -(Rapid SL Hitoyoshi)-> Hitoyoshi 12:13

Sightseeing/Lunch

Hitoyoshi 13:21 -> Yoshimatsu 14:47 | 15:03 -(Hayato No Kaze)-> Kagoshima-Chuo 16:32

Sightseeing (Shiroyama Observatory)

Kagoshima-Chuo 19:01 -> Kumamoto 19:58

Edited by Darklighter

JR SL trains are included in the JR Rail Pass(!). Just go to the station and make a reservation in the same way as for any JR train. (Unless something has changed since 2005.)

I reserved the SL Yamaguchi as well as the connecting Shinkansen with my Rail Pass at Okayama station. No charge.

With only yourself it might not be a problem, but if you can't get a seat on an outward journey of an SL try the return trip.  They are often less crowded with tourists riding only riding one way and then doing bus tours and other stuff.

I notice our trips overlap.  My friend and I are starting our trip in the Osaka - Nagoya area on 28-29 Nov.

@bikkuri bahn: Yes, I mean rolling stock. For example, what rolling stock is used for SHINKANSEN YAMABIKO 127 on November 15?

I think this conversation has been done before.  Maybe someone can find it.  As far as Yamabiko 127, it appears to be assigned an E2 set coupled with a E3 on a Tsubasa service.

If you take the earlier Yamabiko 205, you can ride an E5 set, if that interests you.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

Darklighter,

Before you take the Super Azusa at Shinjuku, between 5 and 7 in the morning, there are three to four diesel freight trains, usually two an hour, running North. One is the Toyota train with blue containers. It will be dark until about 6:00-6:30 but you can use the platform lighting to provide some light. Stand at Platform 7.

I'll try to go to Shinjuku early in the morning to let you know when the diesels are passing through. 

On the weekends, there are two or three diesels parked at Kofu Station, perhaps you may see one there when you pass through on Monday. If you can, I would spend an hour at Kofu Station. You would be able to shoot the Azusa and Super Azusa passing thru as well as the 115s on regular service. That would also give you time to shoot the various trains on the Minobu Line that come in. If you were to make that trip on a weekend, you could start at Shinjuku with the 183 holiday Kawaguchiko (8:14) and wait about 45 minutes at Otsuki Station and catch the 215 Holiday Rapid View Kobuchizawa to Kofu. (Leaves Shinjuku at 9:00) You can shoot the colorful Fujikyuko Line at Otsuki. When you travel the Koumi Line, you might want to transfer to the E200 Hybrid at Koumi Station, if you can. If you end up at Komoro, shoot the Nagano Line trains and ride it to Karuizawa before returning by Shinkansen to Tokyo. If you have the strength, get off at Omiya and try to shoot diesels going South from platform 6. It will be dark but you can use the platform lighting. They barrel through on track 6 with the lights glaring at you, so you have to stand away from the track to shoot them at an angle. It isn't easy, but it's possible.

I don't know if you know this, but if you look at the arrival sign on the platform, when a diesel is passing through, the sign goes blank and blinking red kanji says that a train is passing through. The platform announcer, sometimes a male for one side and female for the other, will say "....... densha ga tsukan shimasu..." That means the next train, sometimes an express, sometimes a diesel, will pass through. ".........densha ga mairimase..." means the next train will stop, and the upper kanji won't disappear but the red flashing kanji will appear. If you see just a JR on the arrival sign, it sometimes means a special charter or a non-schedualed train or test run. Sometimes the JR sign won't appear until after the train has arrived. 

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips, Grant! I'm afraid, there won't be much time for shooting trains at Kofu or Otsuki Station on Monday but I might have some time for that on Sunday after the hike.

If you take the earlier Yamabiko 205, you can ride an E5 set, if that interests you.

Thanks, you guessed right.  :D 

With only yourself it might not be a problem, but if you can't get a seat on an outward journey of an SL try the return trip.  They are often less crowded with tourists riding only riding one way and then doing bus tours and other stuff.

I notice our trips overlap.  My friend and I are starting our trip in the Osaka - Nagoya area on 28-29 Nov.

Depending on the weather (rain on 15 Nov) I might run into you at Kiyosu.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my current itinerary:

Thu 14 Nov 13        NRT →  Tokyo (Asakusa, railfanning, Tokyo Station, Nippori Station, Ochanomizu Station)
Fri 15 Nov 13         Tokyo ↔ Nikko (sightseeing)
Sat 16 Nov 13        Tokyo (Railway Museum Saitama + railfanning, Akiba)
Sun 17 Nov 13       Tokyo ↔ Fujigoko (hiking) (Rapid Holiday Kaisoku Fujisan / Rapid Yamanashi Fuji)
Mon 18 Nov 13       Tokyo → Shosenkyo → Koumi Line → Tokyo
Tue 19 Nov 13        Tokyo → Fukuoka (Dazaifu)
Wed 20 Nov 13      Fukuoka ↔ Hikosan or Yufudake (Hiking)
Thu 21 Nov 13        Fukuoka ↔ Nagasaki (Peace Park, Dejima, Glover Garden, Mount Inasa (at night))
Fri 22 Nov 13         Fukuoka → Kumamoto → Hitoyoshi → Kagoshima → Kumamoto (SL Hitoyoshi, Hayato No Kaze)
Sat 23 Nov 13        Kumamoto ↔ Aso (hiking) (Aso-Boy, Trans-Kyushu Limited Express)
Sun 24 Nov 13       Kumamoto → Hiroshima (railfanning, Peace Park) ↔ Mihara (Rapid Setouchi Marine View + Sanyo Line)
Mon 25 Nov 13       Hiroshima ↔ Miyajima (hiking + sightseeing)
Tue 26 Nov 13        Hiroshima → Otsu →  Seta Station (railfanning)
Wed 27 Nov 13      Otsu ↔ Kyoto (Arashiyama, Saga Scenic Ry,...)
Thu 28 Nov 13       Otsu ↔ Nagoya (Railfanning + Railway Park)
Fri 29 Nov 13         Otsu → Osaka (Ikebe station, shopping)
Sat 30 Nov 13       Osaka → KIX

I exchanged the visits to Okayama and Matsue for the SL Hitoyoshi trip and a hiking day trip to Hikosan or Yufudake. The Yufudake hike could be combined with a ride on the Yufuin-no-mori. Furthermore, I changed the order of the middle part to allow the rides on the SL Hitoyoshi, Aso-boy and Rapid Setouchi Marine View

I'm thinking about staying at the Toyoko-Inn in Otsu for 26-29 Nov, as it offers the best compromise (I've found) between price, distance to the next JR station, distance to Seta Station/Biwako Line and distance to Kyoto.

In Tokyo I'll be staying at the Toyoko-Inn Nihonbashi.

Hello Mr Darklighter,

So sorry to further complicate your very busy schedule, but I would like to draw your attention to a little station on the Chuotosen called Shinano-Sakai ... 信濃境駅.  It is on the Chuo Main Line, just one stop down from Kobuchizawa.  I believe you will visit Kobuchizawa to see the Koumi Line on November 18th, right?  Well, if you are the fan of nostalgia, then please consider travelling just one more stop to Shinano-Sakai.

Why?  Well, that is the question ... and this is the answer:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/74193823

You can read about it here: http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/%257eiwate/vehicle/extra/preservation/yamanashi.html

Here is coordinate for Shinano-Sakai in Google Earth:  35°53'5.19"N 138°16'32.81"E

Here is the coordinate for the forgotten 3100形電車 in Google Earth:  35°52'52.59"N 138°17'5.69"E

It is just a 15 minute walk from the station.

Of course, you can access the location and touch the train, have photo with the train and even enter the train.  My friend has photo of interior.  That is to say, he has visited 3100形電車, climbed in .... and onto ... the car to take interesting photograph.  You can learn more here: http://haikyotabi.blog33.fc2.com/blog-entry-85.html

I hope you can fit such a visit into your busy schedule because 3100形電車 is very lonely and neglected these days.

• Like 3

If you are staying in Otsu, don't miss the Keishin line from Hama-Otsu to Kyoto.

In Ōtsu, the trains run in the street, than on "normal" Railway and finally they dive down in the Kyoto Subway.  

W081113-044.JPG

• Like 1
Hello Mr Darklighter,

So sorry to further complicate your very busy schedule, but I would like to draw your attention to a little station on the Chuotosen called Shinano-Sakai ... 信濃境駅.  It is on the Chuo Main Line, just one stop down from Kobuchizawa.  I believe you will visit Kobuchizawa to see the Koumi Line on November 18th, right?  Well, if you are the fan of nostalgia, then please consider travelling just one more stop to Shinano-Sakai.

Why?  Well, that is the question ... and this is the answer:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/74193823

You can read about it here: http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/%257eiwate/vehicle/extra/preservation/yamanashi.html

Here is coordinate for Shinano-Sakai in Google Earth:  35°53'5.19"N 138°16'32.81"E

Here is the coordinate for the forgotten 3100形電車 in Google Earth:  35°52'52.59"N 138°17'5.69"E

It is just a 15 minute walk from the station.

Of course, you can access the location and touch the train, have photo with the train and even enter the train.  My friend has photo of interior.  That is to say, he has visited 3100形電車, climbed in .... and onto ... the car to take interesting photograph.  You can learn more here: http://haikyotabi.blog33.fc2.com/blog-entry-85.html

I hope you can fit such a visit into your busy schedule because 3100形電車 is very lonely and neglected these days.

Wow, thank you for sharing this, I will certainly be visiting this on my trip in November too!

• Like 1

It's a shame that piece of rolling stock has not been better preserved.  Apparently it was the first use in Japan of the Westinghouse-Natal cardan drive* in a traction package.  At that time most emu's used axle hung traction motors.  The mid-1950's saw a lot of experimentation and innovation by the private railway companies- more than JNR at the time, at least until the introduction of the 101 series. 

*this type of drive was also used in North Shore Line Electroliners, as well as the New York City Subway R12 type.

Edited by bikkuri bahn