Here is a revival color that I like, and that is basically identical to the original livery, and on rolling stock directly descended from the original type that had it.

Kintetsu Minami Osaka Line, 6000 series.  Occasion was a special train promoting an animated film DVD release:

This rolling stock with this livery was nicknamed the "Rabbit Car", not for being high speed, but rather having high acceleration in local services, to enable fast runs between stations on the Minami Osaka Line, threading paths between the express and semi-express services, which were in the hands of older (axle hung motors?) rolling stock.

The original 6800 series that had this livery no longer run on Kintetsu Lines, but refurbished examples are used by the Yoro Railway.  Here are a couple of photos I took of one in the revival colors at Ogaki:

post-133-0-28989300-1378542210_thumb.jpg

post-133-0-75455600-1378542289_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

As a child, I always had a yearning to wash trains with this colour scheme in the hope that I could brighten them up.

These days I find the salmon colour quite appealing.

E6 San,

LOL! that is actually common with some combinations of colors, textures, and finishes that you get the it needs to be cleaned/brightened up effect! I have worked with a couple of very good old school colorists and before diving into colors they want samples of the materials its going on and the finishes that are then applied as well as the paint itself and lighting. I was interesting to see how important this data was to choosing color schemes. But seeing some of the things that i looked at the pantone chips and was not all that impressed with the choices but in the final finish it was spot on beautiful with the texture, finish, and light. ive also seen things like this that then go the other way, like many pastels with gloss finishes. probably a mind's eye thing that some colors we expect to see glossy others flat or satin for some reason or another... Your mind's eye tends to change with age as its relying on a lot of experience/memories to help build its picture, so i can see your changing later! kids tend to love bright colors and notice subtle color stuff less, but that is not to say its not totally lost on them!

cheers,

jeff

Being educated in the fields of history and social sciences, I look at these "revival" colors not only in terms of "like" or "not like", but also in terms of context- nowadays color schemes are myriad and can take advantage of the technologies available in painting as well as applied "wrapping", all the while keeping labor and upkeep costs in mind.  Back in the 1950's- when many of the color schemes we see now as "revival" were quite revolutionary- railway rolling stock tended to be dark green or brown (actually a dark crimson, in many cases), which presented a very somber, conservative image. These new bright colors presented a new, forward thinking image of the railways, and came to symbolize a rebuilt, prosperous Japan that only a decade before was in complete, utter ruins.  Now vermillion orange may not be everyone's choice for covering anything, but add a white "racing" stripe, and you have something that has impact, that will grab people's attention when it rounds the bend before entering the station you happen to be waiting at- children will see it, and shout- "it's the rabbit car! I want to ride that mommy!". Exactly what a railway wants to see and hear.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
... Your mind's eye tends to change with age as its relying on a lot of experience/memories to help build its picture ...

Hello Mr Jeff,

So sorry ... mind's eye is blurred and memory faded ... ;-)

Mudkip Orange
Being educated in the fields of history and social sciences, I look at these "revival" colors ... also in terms of context

LOL.

Still not a fan of this one. Many of the "revolutionary" 50's color schemes turned out to have staying power. Orange with wide blue stripe is still a common sight on kintetsu's 1435 lines, "crimson and cream" limited express is absolutely everywhere.

The "ridiculous diagonal stripe" of various 80's JNR represented an even further evolution over the 50's bright colors... but no one's bringing that one back yet (thankfully).

The "ridiculous diagonal stripe" of various 80's JNR represented an even further evolution over the 50's bright colors... but no one's bringing that one back yet (thankfully).
The 185s have some diagonal bands, is that what you mean?