shrink wrapping your cars

I saw this done to n gauge by wrapping cooking foil around the vehicles, spraying them with primer, and then cutting neatly around the bottom to allow the wheels to show.

have seen cars on road trailers and in dealerships here in the UK with white protective coatings on them, apparently they come off with a jet wash and are bio-degradable

It`s practically all by truck. once you get onto those highways you see a fair few trucks taking cars about.

also many of Japanese highly populated areas are all coastal. Kyoto might get a fair bit in but i have never really noticed any freight passing carrying cars.

I think it`s all by truck.

I find that to be quite typical. In the Netherlands I often see a very long freights only existing of car carriers, including Japanese car brands. :P

Cars in Japan are transported by truck and in containers. The standard size JR Freight container will carry a Kei-car: http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/exptokiwa2/3068183.html and Nissan has Nissan Car Pack Containers:

_DSC8886s.jpg

I presume a lot of cars are delivered to container distribution centres (when delivered by container) and individually driven to dealerships or delivered by smaller trucks (more likely).

Transport by train in dedicated car carriers hasn't been done since the mid-nineties.

EDIT: changed blog link to a functioning one.

Edited by Toni Babelony
  • Like 2

Can you link to the original blog post?  The image link isn't working from my, and I can't figure out how to transform it to find the post it was in.

I hadn't heard about container shipping of cars before. That's interesting.

sorry have to say it, too cute! looks like big matchbox or tomia packages!

i guess they fork lift them out? probably sitting on a palliate or some sort?

jeff

Without the caption I'd have assumed it was older than 2003 given the cream & blue containers.  Judging by the people that is indeed a standard 12' long container. I wonder if they use a special type with interior tie-downs or something to hold the car in place.  The guy bent over by the front of the black car might be attaching it.

That would make a nice mini scene for a container terminal.

I'm guessing they are tied down to a palette that can be slid in with a fork lift or perhaps wheels or ball bearings to just roll out.

Jeff

Krackel Hopper

Might have to try this 12' containers w/ car.

I've got a couple of the new Greenmax containers with functional doors on order. Just need some compact cars.

Would post a link, but HS appears to be down.

Sorry to hop into this outdated thread.

Just found some photo how they tie-down those cars.  It seems they don't use palette but the floor has some feature to tie-down directly like ordinary car carrier.

kamotsu0801-01.jpg

http://butsuryu.web.fc2.com/utsunomiyata.html

Also seems this Nissan car container is still in use for very limited occasion like when it comes for fiscal year end (around March) and they can't reserve car carrier truck.

In Japan, new cars are transported by ship as well.  I have bought a new Toyota this year and it was shipped from Nagoya port to Chiba port.  It took about 2 weeks to come to my place after it is manufactured...

• Like 2