Backscenes!

Claude_Dreyfus

not cheap for 90cm, but getting a good high res photo and then printing it properly is not cheap and easy either. but once you get it all set up for production price should come down. large format print on demand for poster size is still not super cheap.

jeff

Claude_Dreyfus

I'll stick with my homemade backscenes, but these are the first ready-made Japanese scenes I have seen...

Those are some sweet CG painting prints right there! They're not actual photos, but rather artists' renderings. Think of it as buying an art print or a very high quality poster (background) to liven up (add depth) your room (your world).

• Like 1

yeah that will make the best rendering in the long run to tweak it just right and get angles and perspectives to work out the best for a backdrop like this. photos can be near impossible to get all the variables just right to make great backdrops. also sounds like nice plasticized paper to help with wrinkling and such when gluing down.

actually i checked and most print shops are at about $25-50 for that much area to poster print a one off. so i take it back its really not all that unreasonable for a bigger print like that at all and the great artwork to boot.

jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1

There's a shortage of urban scenes there: really just the port, industrial and a couple with buildings that look a little too small for the distance.

That said, it's not priced horribly compared to do-it-yourself large-format photo prints at a print shop.  The main problem I have is the size, 30 cm tall is a bit short (I prefer 45 to 60 cm) and my usual length is four feet (122 cm).  Plus, they really need urban ones than can link end-to-end (much harder to do than with rural photos). 

Long layouts probably aren't as common in Japan, but if you've got something larger than a diorama, it's going to be longer than 90 cm. The "diorama sheet" (printed ground) Kato sells for use with the M1 is 180 cm along the long axis, for example.

Guest Closed Account 1

Well if you don't want your landscape to fight the background then go with a sky scene.

Clouds are to scale in any size.

It worked for my desert layout.

I think that works best for large open areas (desert, prairie, and perhaps coastal). But in an urban scene, part of the job of the backdrop, as I see it, is to reinforce the feeling of being closed in. It's rare to be able to see the horizon in an urban area, unless you're looking out over ocean.

I've seen urban backdrops, but they tend to be either historic (lots of brick mill buildings) or European, or both. Which is why I ended up grabbing panoramic photos off Flickr to use. Those have their own problems (often low resolution or buildings out of scale with what I want to put in front of them).

But I'm constantly looking for something better, which is why these intrigued me.  If they were only a little longer...

Mudkip Orange

The problem with selling a prefab urban scene is that eventually you'll start to recognize it.

Witness the plethora of US prototype HO layouts with HOTEL GOTHAM in the background...

Spaceman Spiff

Has anyone actually bought or seen these? I'm needing a mountain background and like the look of snow covered one. I wonder how well they look when you have 3 or 4 these sheets next to each other? Do they match up ok?

Spiff

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

With any back scenery or backdrops, I always try to see how a particular scene would look in the layout using photoshop. A small sample file, even with watermarks could still be used just to envision how they will look before you buy. Multiplying files to form a bigger scene could be done as well.

While my backdrops are mostly free files from the net, there are also hi-res files available and I feel that files which could be manipulated to a degree using photoshop yields a better outcome than buying an already finished backdrop. Nothing is a perfect fit and there are those scenes that you wanted omitted, stretched a bit or changed to fit your layout properly. With an already made scenery, if your layout land contours doesnt match or possibly your mountain/hill somewhat covers a nice scene - then you are not maximizing your investment.

My only problem with free jpeg files is the resolution as pixelation occurs while you stretch that file to the size of your layout. Thru zooming-in in photoshop, I could see how close you have to be to your backdrop in order to see those pixels and decide if your chosen file is acceptable or not.

Below are files that Im considering for my revamped layout - I took a pic of my layout and just used photoshop to mount the scene.

Mardon

post-1282-0-89647400-1379468988_thumb.jpgpost-1282-0-75411000-1379468993_thumb.jpg

Mardon,

Cleaver man!

There is Rez up software that can get you 3-4x size increase w/o much artifacting. Talk to your printer chap, he may have one of these.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4