Yamanote/ Jyoban/ Sobu line annoucer in person!

JR 500系

Haha!

I chanced upon this video, and you will be amazed at the true person who made all the annoucements on the Yamanote, Jyoban and Sobu lines!

*It's in Japanese though, but i could understand the main things about it. They were asking people off the streets what kind of face do you think the annoucer has? Some said a 'Clear image type', while others said, 'A smart person, 'A strict superior' etc. The annoucer also revealed her secret of getting the annoucements so correct precise and clear is by actually taking the train itself! Now that's nice!

Interesting and clear voice indeed!

Edited by JR500 のぞみ
  • Like 12

Wow, it is nice to finally put a face to the voice from my favorite lines announcements. Although the people never seem to look like how you imagine.

ha thats great! yes always hard when you put a voice to the face! a good friend is an npr reporter so at parties at his house you would hear all these voices you had heard forever on the radio but never saw their face. it was fun to track the voice down and put it with the face and see how it matched up with what was in your mind from just the voice only.

having produced/directed a lot of voice over work, its rare to find that clear voice that gives the pretty much the same image projection to all your audience that you want. it takes listening to a lot of demo tapes then doing a bunch of reads till it clicks. really is the subtle part of the business but when its voice only its really important. its funny as documentary makers ive worked with will knee jerk to the famous actor voice to have the star grab the audience, but so few of those really have a great voice or have great diction or projection of image with voice alone! you get the little star recognition to begin with but with time the voice's problems kill the content delivery and retention in the listener...

I love the way she came to talking to the train itself to get the right projection to the listener to be the clearest (the big goal here!).

cheers

jeff

I should note that there is one VERY well-known seiyuu (voice actor) whose voice you hear a lot on station platforms all over Tokyo: Sayaka Ohara. Best place to find that voice: the platform announcements on the JR East Shinkansen stations. Indeed, Ohara-san is just as well known for her station platform announcement work as for her work as a voice actress in anime series and video games.