Bus Turntables

bill937ca

Tomytec offers a bus turntable and in past years there at least two dozen of these turntables across North America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KK-MK25HJ_Tozan_B960_Turntable.jpg

There were two in New York City.  The Central Union Bus Terminal (aka Dixie Bus Terminal) was in the basement of the Hotel Dixie (now Hotel Carter) and the bus turntable still exists and has been documented recently. At the present time the hotel itself is closed after year's as the dirtiest hotel in the US.

http://www.scoutingny.com/?p=6766

http://www.neatorama.com/2013/07/09/The-Remains-of-the-Dixie-Bus-Terminal/

http://www.t2conline.com/the-things-hidden-in-plain-site-a-bus-depot-in-a-new-york-parking-lot/

There was another bus terminal in Manhattan not too far away on 42nd Street that also had a turntable.  This was the Baltimore & Ohio bus terminal in the Chanin Building.  Baltimore & Ohio passenger trains did not cross the Hudson River, so passengers destined for Manhattan used a bus shuttle to cross the river. The buses themselves were operated under contract by Fifth Avenue Coach Lines,  a New York City private bus operator.

http://www.t2conline.com/the-things-hidden-in-plain-site-a-bus-depot-in-a-new-york-parking-lot/

http://collections.mcny.org/C.aspx?VP3=SearchResult_VPage&VBID=24UP1GWWHDMW

These turntables date from an era of 30 foot buses and highway coaches. By the late 1950s economics had changed and buses were starting to get longer. I believe both these terminals closed in 1957.

• Like 2

I'm waiting for the insane engineer that modifies this turntable to a functioning piece for the Moving Bus System from Tomytec. It should be doable...

Even if this thread is in "Non-Japanese Modelling", I would like to show a Japanese Bus turntable!

W050403-023.JPG

• Like 1
Once again, not in U.S., but one in action (Tobu Takenotsuka Sta. on the Isezaki Line):

Surprisingly enough, no chimes on this one...

Cheers NB

Once again, not in U.S., but one in action (Tobu Takenotsuka Sta. on the Isezaki Line):

Wow, that was fast, the bus driver already started accelerating even before the turntable was done turning.

bikkuri bahn
Did he activate that by pushing something attached to the windshield post?

He pulled a cord dangling from a post.  You can see it better in this video:

Unfortunately, this turntable is due to be removed in concert with the elevation project (高架化) for the railway station, which will also result in a new traffic rotary being constructed.

• Like 1
Wow, that was fast, the bus driver already started accelerating even before the turntable was done turning.

I noticed that too. I thought for sure he'd have to wait for it to stop, then point at the ground and say yoshi, before he could go :grin

He pulled a cord dangling from a post. You can see it better in this video:

Unfortunately, this turntable is due to be removed in concert with the elevation project (高架化) for the railway station, which will also result in a new traffic rotary being constructed.

Yeah, I didn't see that in the first video. Too bad it will be removed. But it looks like it's had a nice long life, such an installation in the US would probably be generally neglected and then vandalized :(

I see an igo club or something in the background. I always wanted to get better at that. I never won a game.

bikkuri bahn
I see an igo club or something in the background. I always wanted to get better at that. I never won a game.

Yeah, and yakitori for 80 or 90 yen.  "Come and enjoy". Indeed. :icon_smile:

Surprisingly enough, no chimes on this one...

Cheers NB

He pulled a cord dangling from a post.  You can see it better in this video:

Now is the chine we're hearing coming from the train crossing behind? Seems to be the case since there was chime ringing even before and after the turntable operation... I think since there is a fence around i'm guessing there won't be outsiders wondering into the turntable, hence there is no need for a chime? Or will the chimes cause too much disturbances to the shop just directly next to it? It's a real pity it will be torn down... 

That's a rush! I was worried the turntable is not done turning yet and decides to go another round? That wouldn't be pretty then.. Perhaps he needs the toilet? 

Even if this thread is in "Non-Japanese Modelling", I would like to show a Japanese Bus turntable!

W050403-023.JPG

Oh my, we can see it's near the end of the road and it is way too narrow to do any 3 point turns to turn the bus. It's effective! Nice bus, by the way ~ Would there be a chime on this one, since it's open? 

I'm waiting for the insane engineer that modifies this turntable to a functioning piece for the Moving Bus System from Tomytec. It should be doable...

That sparked my thoughts! Thanks Toni! I was wondering how to turn my moving bus around. But i won't be doing it since i'm very poor at electronics... Hoping for someone really talented to do it. Wishing for Tomytec to do one soon perhaps? 

Should be pretty easy to make one with a servo. The tomytec bus would jus need the guide wire down the middle and the appropriate stop/start magnet. Little electro magnet would probably do the trick, but would increase the turntable depth, but the servo will do that anyway.

Would be a fun animation even without the moving bus to just do the 180 every couple of minutes.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
Guest keio6000

That post on US bus turntables was nerdy even by the standards of this forum. Well done!

I wonder if the turntable has a failsafe strain gauge or something if one of the drivers does something dumb like only puts one set of wheels on (perhaps because he drove an overlong bus onto it and didn't notice).  Given how fast the man flow on to the thing in the Tobu video, it wouldn't seem outside of possibility.

Also, that cord wins the prize for lowest tech solution ever.  Another "well done!"

• Like 1