My 2013 trip.

westfalen

I like that picture where you're putting your hand on the 500 as if it's yours. ;)

Ditto that! Wish that was my though.. It's definitely a photo to keep for memories ~~ Wonder if by the time i can go Japan again (probably in 2015), will the 500 still be around for me to put my hand on...

Thanks West for the photos! Enjoying them like as if i'm there myself! Nice! is that the Hiroshima Atomic Bomb memorial statue?

Hey i have the N scale model of that 'World Wide Heart Moving Services' truck!

Edited by JR500 のぞみ

Yes, that is the Hiroshima A bomb memorial.  We didn't have time to visit the museum after riding trams all day but we had to get some photos while it was still daylight.

We travelled from Hiroshima to Izumoshi via the Geibi and Kisuki Lines today and will spend the day riding and photographing the Ichibata Railway before we head for Tokyo on the Sunrise Izumo tomorrow night, so this will probably be the last internet access I get before I get back home.

Edited by westfalen
  • Like 1

Hello Mr westfalen,

Thank you for posting the photographs of Hiro-den.  It is my favourite trams in Japan, especially 900系.

Also, if you are travelling to Nagasaki on this trip please consider a visit to the Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum.  I think it is superior to the Hiroshima museum, which is also very informative.

Very nice pictures, Westfalen.  In DSC_1789, is that some kind of observation post, for automobile traffic or the trams?  The picture of the cushions on the seats brings back memories.  It also brings back the same thought--these would be vandalized almost instantly in the US.

Very nice pictures, Westfalen.  In DSC_1789, is that some kind of observation post, for automobile traffic or the trams?  The picture of the cushions on the seats brings back memories.  It also brings back the same thought--these would be vandalized almost instantly in the US.

That's likely the Touka-ichi machi Signal Tower, which handled the point controls at this junction.  These types of signal towers were once common on systems with multi-track junctions, now they have been decommissioned due to automation.

Here was a similar installation on the Yokohama municipal streetcar system, at Aokibashi, which crosses the Tokaido Mainline and Keikyu tracks just several hundred meters on the up side of Yokohama Station.  From 1958.  The bridge remains today, the streetcars and their tracks are long gone.

http://www.yokohama-album.jp/picture/detail/458/

Nice photos West! 

Did you visit any hobby train shops? Would love to see some pictures from there!

It's nice to be able to visit Japan every year! I'm so envious!

Nice photos West! 

Did you visit any hobby train shops? Would love to see some pictures from there!

It's nice to be able to visit Japan every year! I'm so envious!

We got to one in Hiroshima but didn't have much time in Tokyo because we had been too busy during our day there watching real trains, we figured we can always buy models on line when we get home.

Hello Mr westfalen,

Thank you for posting the photographs of Hiro-den.  It is my favourite trams in Japan, especially 900系.

Also, if you are travelling to Nagasaki on this trip please consider a visit to the Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum.  I think it is superior to the Hiroshima museum, which is also very informative.

Riding the trams was the main purpose of our day in Hiroshima, after going through my photos I counted 61 trams that I could confirm the numbers of including the Hannover tram.

Unfortunately we didn't get to Nagasaki this trip but I have visited there in the past and the museum there is excellent.

Thanks West for the photos! I saw the Shimaneko car! Very sweet! Did you ride on it? The Yakumo looks sweet too... Bet you're having fun! 

Thanks West for the photos! I saw the Shimaneko car! Very sweet! Did you ride on it? The Yakumo looks sweet too... Bet you're having fun! 

Unfortunately we didn't get a ride on the Shimaneko.

We did have fun, we got back home this morning.  It was over all too quickly.

Great pictures of the whole trip.  I loved seeing the maintenence and staffing area photos.  Gives me a little insight into how to model stuff like that.

some really nice, sharp photos .Especially love the E4 shots at station and the older freight locos. Hard to believe I was their in 1985.So much has changed!

Several nice images of autumn foliage, westfalen.  Was it late this year?

Not sure, but it was looking good.

A question for my learned fellow JNS members.  This is a still from one of my videos, the question is what was it doing passing through Kiyosu towards Nagoya on the Tokaido mainline on Nov 29th?

post-182-0-45313100-1386745880_thumb.jpg

Edited by westfalen
This train was in the area at the time for crew training.  It doesn't elaborate on why Nagoya/Gifu area crews need to be qualified on this type, but that's apparently the reason.

http://railf.jp/news/2013/11/30/184500.html

At least we know what it was doing if not the reason why.  I guess we were in the right place at the right time, the four Japanese railfans (including one who posts a lot of video from Kiyosu on youtube) who turned up later seemed surprised when I showed them the video.