Feel good advertisement for JR's shinkansen service

alpineaustralia

Really good ads, it makes you want to visit Japan. For such a small country, in technology, they are way ahead of everybody else.

Sushi Train

The first vid in Hong Kong Cantonese does not do this video justice, just doesn't seem right but the Japanese version is awesome.....like most things in Japan!  ;D

I work in the advertising industry and what's amazing about these videos is how much they focus on the the trains!  Compared to the US, where Amtrak's advertising is either about the value ("Look how cheap it is!") or the scenery (okay), the Japanese are able to make the technology/trains the star of the ad.  I don't think you even see the train in most Amtrak ads! That says a lot.

Where is the 300 in all those trains ?

Poor old 300 series! :-\

Love the ads - reminds me when I was there earlier this year . Very smooth and professional services these trains provide.

CaptOblivious

Love the ads - reminds me when I was there earlier this year . Very smooth and professional services these trains provide.

It's an ad for JR East…which doesn't run 300-series :D just 200 (no 200 love in that video…), 400, and E1–4

Quinn - I am surprised that Amtrak doesn't show the Acela that much in ads.

In the DC market, I see Acela ads very fifteen minutes during the morning and evening news.

It's an ad for JR East…which doesn't run 300-series :D just 200 (no 200 love in that video…), 400, and E1–4

Thanks for that ... not It makes sense!

I don't think you even see the train in most Amtrak ads!

For most of the country, you'd just see a P42 pulling some mismatched coaches and sleepers, all with dirty windows.  :-\  It'd be nice if Amtrak could someday afford some new or refurb'd rolling stock, and (heresy) a color scheme other than dull silver with blue.

CaptOblivious

I don't think you even see the train in most Amtrak ads!

For most of the country, you'd just see a P42 pulling some mismatched coaches and sleepers, all with dirty windows.  :-\  It'd be nice if Amtrak could someday afford some new or refurb'd rolling stock, and (heresy) a color scheme other than dull silver with blue.

You mean like this one?

http://www.missourinet.com/gestalt/go.cfm?objectid=00462099-5056-B82A-37C7995F74F846F8

This is the face of Amtrak for St Louis ('cause it winds through very visible parts of the city on its way in and out): A P42, and a set of four grubby refurbed smoothsides and/or Metroliners—a train infamous for taking way way too long to get to KC, because UP can't be bothered to accommodate Amtrak services beyond the bare minimum (single-track, very few sidings, none nearly long enough for the mile-long coal trains that come through almost hourly, so Amtrak has to take them and wait, sometimes up to an hour for freight traffic to pass). Nothing to feel good about here! Move along!

Yup, exactly. Way cooler than a shinkansen any day.  ::)

UP can't be bothered to accommodate Amtrak services beyond the bare minimum

Exactly the problem....trying to run a public passenger service on lines owned by private freight lines.

Oh, and...."ShowMeMO"?!?  :P  I'd sooner ride Train 17A than something with a ridiculous marketing name like that.

If Amtrak could only get to the point that they had so many trains that they couldn't name them all, *then* we'd have a decent service.

Hmmm....how to get back on topic? Ummm...in that second video, at about 0:47, how long a set is that?!?  There were some nice tunnel/bridge/tunnel shots there that give me some layout ideas....eventually we'll have to break out the Kato 500 and see how it looks.

CaptOblivious

Oh, and...."ShowMeMO"?!?   :P  I'd sooner ride Train 17A than something with a ridiculous marketing name like that.

tunnel/bridge/tunnel shots there that give me some layout ideas....eventually we'll have to break out the Kato 500 and see how it looks.

"Missouri River Runner" was the winner, ugh.

But services in Japan are named, too! Among the named services in the video: Hayate, Komachi, Nasuno, Tanigawa, Toki, Tsubasa, Yamabiko (and, if run by an E4, add "MAX" to the end of the service name).

Martijn Meerts

No offense, but seeing that Amtrak makes me happy I'm not modelling American prototype...

But services in Japan are named, too! Among the named services in the video: Hayate, Komachi, Nasuno, Tanigawa, Toki, Tsubasa, Yamabiko (and, if run by an E4, add "MAX" to the end of the service name).

I'm not totally against naming--just against stupid names.  :)  Plus the difference is that the Japanese *services* are named, with many trains running each service, but Amtrak is running *a* train under each name. Here, for example, we get 1 per day in each direction of the Cardinal and the Crescent. Not sure if both of them are every day.

SubwayHypes

Exactly the problem....trying to run a public passenger service on lines owned by private freight lines.

exactly the same here in the bay area, the amtrac line runs on a freight line used alot of Auto racks which pull very long freights filled with new cars.

a single track runs real close to my house, and i have no idea how they manage to fit both amtrac traffic and freight traffic.

also, the trains are always dirty, and its always one of those p42 things pulling, like you guys said, 4 or 5 dirty mismatched cars.

about that shinkansen video, WHYS IS IN CHINESE?!??!?!  doesnt make sense.

Its not an official video, just some youtuber from Hong Kong putting HK pop into it is all.

Oh, good--that makes me feel better about it. I thought the music was irritating, so it's nice to know JR isn't condoning that sort of thing.  :)

BTW--"youtuber"  ;D  Sort of like "sofa tuber."