The M250...what is this locomotive for?

quinntopia

I've been wondering about the M250 ever since I first saw a model of it online at one of the hobby sites.  Can anyone explain to me what the purpose of the design is?  it appears to be a standard electric profile engine with the engine cut out for space for a container.

But...why?  Is there a motor in this? Is it low power, like some sort of shunter or switcher?  Why would you need a container in that particular spot where it could get more easily damaged by the loaders, etc...?

Very unusual (not bad! just really perplexing!)

the funnest thing is the fact they realized that spreading out the traction motors more (ala shinkansens) was a better way for a cycle train like this so they put motors on either end of the 4 engines and slapped a container in the middle of each! basically 8 traction trucks on the train, 4 at each end then.

the train get a great double take from visitors looking at the JRM layout! great train to talk about how interesting japanese trains are!

cheers

jeff

Claude_Dreyfus

Yes it is a real head-turner. Especially in view of its length; which rivals the bullets.  ;D The word 'WOW' gets used a lot in its company....

Also tough as like the shinkansens the full 16 car m250 requires a big siding!

in the new jrm layout plan we have a container dock and siding that is long enough to hold the full m250 for display when not running.

cheers

jeff