Tenshodo Ef57 reissue

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Tenshodo will be doing another run of their plastic ef57 passsenger locomotive due "sometime" this autumn.

pre-production sample (retail price TBD):

http://www.tenshodo.co.jp/models/product/release/ef57_p/tabid/849/Default.aspx

previous run:

http://www.tenshodo.co.jp/models/museum/el/ef56_812_tohoku/tabid/598/Default.aspx

*35000 yen in 2008, which is reasonable.

I really wish Tenshodo (or Tramway) would do an EF15 freight type, much more versatile loco for smaller layouts, but I suppose not glamourous enough for the deep-pocketed collectors. Must be the same reason Kato never re-releases their D51.

• Like 1

Bikkuri Bhan;

Thank you for the "heads" up on this engine. Would you provide a little more detail info on the prototype. Where did it work? What did it pull?

I occasionally see these on eBay in brass but cost seems to be high this seems like a better approach. By the way the Tenshodo's web page had a very interesting stream engine at the top ...do you know what that is? Is it available from Tenshodo currently?

Thank you.

Regards

Jere Ingram

I really wish Tenshodo (or Tramway) would do an EF15 freight type, much more versatile loco for smaller layouts, but I suppose not glamourous enough for the deep-pocketed collectors. Must be the same reason Kato never re-releases their D51.

If either maker were to do an EF15, I think I'd grab one or two. They're jazzy looking locos, IMO. But lately I've developed a fancy for these two handsome machines:

rem6405.jpg

rcm14224.jpg

I know that World Craft do a kit for the ED16 but it's a bit out of my league price-wise...  :sad1:

Cheers,

Mark.

Martijn Meerts

Mark, I've started getting more and more interested in the old machines as well. I'm trying to figure out which one to get for my first H0j kit, but many of them are sold out. Looks like they have an ED14 and EF10 in stock, with prices being around 550-600 USD for the kit version (and up to 2000 for the completed models ;))

It's a shame their H0j range is limited, but if I'm going Japanese H0, I want to go all the way and go for the correct gauge as well.. And well, I wouldn't need many H0j stock anyway, since much of the H0 layout will be narrow gauge forest railway anyway.

• Like 1
Mark, I've started getting more and more interested in the old machines as well. I'm trying to figure out which one to get for my first H0j kit, but many of them are sold out. Looks like they have an ED14 and EF10 in stock, with prices being around 550-600 USD for the kit version (and up to 2000 for the completed models ;))

Yes, they're a bit pricey, but from what I've seen they're very nice models. Maybe we should both start buying lottery tickets!  :)

It's a shame their H0j range is limited, but if I'm going Japanese H0, I want to go all the way and go for the correct gauge as well..

I think if I was starting out now with Japanese modelling I'd probably do the same, but I've gone too far down the 1:80th/16mm road to turn back now. Still tempted though.

And well, I wouldn't need many H0j stock anyway...

LOL! I remember saying something very similar when I first got interested in Japanese modelling. These days I'm running out of shelf space to store the things! 

All the best,

Mark.

Martijn Meerts

All my N-scale stuff is taking up all my shelf space already, so I need to keep the H0 side low profile (for now, until I get more shelves ;))

bikkuri bahn
Would you provide a little more detail info on the prototype. Where did it work? What did it pull?

Jere, sorry for my late reply, I was on holiday.  They operated in their final years mainly on the Joetsu Line and southern end of the Tohoku Main Line (in 1500v DC territory), mainly pulling express trains.  This video has some scenes, from about the middle (the last scene, a doubleheader with an ef58 is great):

What appears to be a semi-professional documentary:

*even after the end of steam in 1975, JNR in the late 70's and beginning of the 1980's still offered tremendous interest for the railfan, and was the golden age of the 1067mm zairaisen daylight limited express network (before the opening of the Tohoku/Joetsu Shinkansen lines).

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1