Transformers

Mudkip Orange

Mudkip Orange

I'm curious if there is any performance difference in using Japanese vs US transformers. Intuitively I think, hey, 12VDC is 12VDC.

The MRC Railpower1370 I have for my HO stuff actually outputs a square wave to coax the trains into moving at slow speeds. I've read this makes the trains noisier and can also fry some motors. Certainly my HO stuff is not quiet, though I've never run it on anything else.

Do the basic Kato/Tomix packs also output a pulse or is it constant? Going with JDM transformers would cost more (on account of having to buy a step-down transformer) but I wanna do what's best for mah trainz.

CaptOblivious

The Kato and Tomix power packs output smooth DC—except for the Tomix CL (constant lighting) power packs, which use an AC waveform to power the train's lights independently of the motor (it's a very clever system).

The low-end Tomix power packs are nothing to write home about, and although they do work on 120VAC 60Hz mains (Japan uses 100VAC 50Hz or 60Hz), I find that mine actually puts out about 16VDC at full throttle—more than I am comfortable with.

You would do fine with any quality power pack that outputs 12VDC. Pilotfish uses the MRCs, and so he can comment more. I've heard great things about the <a href="http://www.gaugemaster.com/controls.html">Gaugemaster</a> line of controllers, but since these are for British 240VAC mains, you would have to get a travel adapter thingy.

Mudkip Orange

I've noticed that Kato sells a "powerpack for Unitrack" to the US market, that looks like it has a 120V transformer plugging into it. It's 60 dollars though... hard to fathom when my MRC guys cost me 25.