That is a good bit of ghetto electrical engineering.

It is VERY ghetto. Pulled out all the dirty tricks from the box; glue gun, gaffer tape, etc.

• Like 2

It is VERY ghetto. Pulled out all the dirty tricks from the box; glue gun, gaffer tape, etc.

Is there an idiot's guide to making these DIY Tomix point switches somewhere? I realised on part of my layout I won't have space for the standard Tomix switches.

• Like 1

Thank you both. It's very simple to make these yourself. If you have not much experience with electronics, like me (calculations? what?), you have to be careful with the polarity of the capacitors, but that's about it. I got my source material from this blog where the owner describes himself pulling this plan off the internet as well: http://tetumo-n.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2011-05-23

Basically, the capacitors have to be 3300mF (micro Farrad) rated 16V or higher (at least for Tomix points). The rest, like the switch can be to your own liking. The switch only needs to be a 3-pointer at minimum. I was thinking of getting 6-pointers for dual-switch control, but then I'd lose flexibility in operations.

I already noticed the capacitors pull a lot of Amps, but that might also be due to the power supply transformer being only rated at 0.5A. I might change it out for a little bit more powerful power supply with a higher Ampére rating. It's not very urgent though, as point throwing should only be done when all traffic stands still. Safety first!

The next step is making a nice frame for the layout, to hide the ugly sides, as well as starting to plan the actual scenery! Maybe get a Moving Bus set as well...

• Like 2

A little side project from the big home layout:

IMG_20161222_151927.jpg

My first alternate spacing T-Trak module! This time I will finish it, as there is a certain goal set for an exhibition/contest in the 2nd half of March next year: http://www.artfactory-j.com/layoutaward For model trains and meetings, 2017 will become the T-Trak year. Art Factory Jōnanjima in Tokyo (Ota-ku) will have the Tetsudō Mokei Module Layout Award in March (sponsored by World Kōgei and Sakatsu Gallery) and Kato Precision Models will hold the first official T-Trak contest in August. The latter requires an entry fee, but included is a baseboard for either a single (¥5900) or double length (¥9900) module. I'll probably just go for a single length one, as IMO it's a bit pricey and I make my own baseboards for at least six times less than that... So yeah, modules will be made and finished in 2017!

Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 4

The controller is fantastic Toni san! Yap I too need an idiot's guide to making your own control box! It looks good, functions well and save space!

Making T-Trak modules is such a waste when you can't use them at home! Why not make a raised track that is able to connect to T-Trak? Connect all the things! Multi-capable layout!

IMG_20170123_152236_DRO.jpg

Yes, I have to figure out the correct track setup yet, but it looks like it's going to become a standalone inside-corner-double length T-Trak module. Not decided yet.

Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 4

Looks like you caught the CMTIC virus, aka Cram in as Much Tracks as I Can.

True, but it will all be hidden and/or masked by scenery. Another idea is to cut a hole in the middle of the layout that can actually fit an irregular length module inside... I mean, there is space:

IMG_20170123_154800_DRO.jpg

I'd just have to make an adaption module (186mm) to be able to integrate the layout into a meeting and all'd be well! The elevated tracks would also be a great transition to the background.

• Like 1

Went to TamTam today and decided to get an elevated a suburban station to put in front of the original station. This elevated station will hold six cars and will be a good transition to the future background board in the middle of the layout. The background will feature half-relief buildings on rolling hills to imply a bigger city scene that justifies this terminus.

IMG_20170124_140546_DRO.jpg

I'll probably leave some space between the station building and the elevated station (where the two buses are) to have a pedestrian crossing, as well as a footbridge that will bypass the crossing as well. Not too sure what to put in the open space to the left of the station building, but it will probably a rotary with busstation. It'll be a busy scene to contrast the rural mountainous other side of the layout. :)

Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 3

I'm deciding to (once again) start abandoning old projects in favour of new ones. Because of space restrictions, time and finances, combined with sharply increasing activities in the local T-Trak community, as well as the start of a project at a friends' place that involves T-Trak modules, I think it's best to focus solely on that as far as layout building goes. T-Trak is ideal for those who expect a transition in living space soon, so it's good to have a modular system that can be brought anywhere at almost any time.

T-Trak is however a double track 'zairaisen' focussed system, whereas my interests lie more with single track operations. A simple solution to this would be to handle the T1-Trak standard, which eliminates the inside track. The problem with this system however is that it's hard to join a meeting where there are no branch modules, as this module would force the whole layout to be single-track operated. A solution I have thought up during last weekends' Jyōnanjima Art Factory Layout Award is to hide the inside track through adapting half an offset module.

post-188-0-32369500-1490074968_thumb.png

This idea forces a hidden track (or not if the builder chooses so), as well as a module that can be flipped around without compromising on space, general operations and electronics.

These two modules would be two double-length transition modules with smooth R781-15 curves that wouldn't look bad anyway. The idea is to have some kind of standard height clearance (probably the standard 25mm) for the hidden track. A possibility as well is to have points to the visible track as well to allow for bi-directional operation if desired during operations. The hidden track could even feature a small staging yard if hidden behind a background.

post-188-0-28059300-1490075378_thumb.pngpost-188-0-76744000-1490075386_thumb.png

Anyway, the track layout in between these transition modules speak for themselves (210mm wide modules with track at both 38mm distance removed from both sides). However, I think shrinking the visible width of the module via a background and a possible boxed frame (perhaps with its self-contained light as well), which would also make this concept interesting!

I'll be playing with this idea for a little while before actually starting to build these modules.

• Like 2

Toni,

Have you thought about doing transition modules to move the tracks to the rear of the modules to have a few modules with the main scene in front of the tracks?

Jeff

Have you thought about doing transition modules to move the tracks to the rear of the modules to have a few modules with the main scene in front of the tracks?

Yes, but that would not create a pseudo-single track line which I want to have. I have talked with a few other members of the local T-Trak community who were also interested in this concept. I'm sure if there is a demand in double-track transition modules, these will appear.

Anyway, the track layout in between these transition modules speak for themselves (210mm wide modules with track at both 38mm distance removed from both sides). 

I think this is a great idea! I like the format and have another idea to extend it further: How about making single track mini modules out of it? That would be 38mm + 25 mm + 38 mm = 101 mm (~10 cm) Two of these single track modules could be combined with 210-101*2 = 8 mm (~1 cm) of space between them for a backdrop. This would allow two different scenes to be depicted on each side, which is barely enough for a 3 track yard or a station with a single platform (a single track one with a side platform or an island variant by using two Y turnouts).

post-1969-0-81822100-1490098893.png

The 'double single' orange module is Toni's idea above, the red/green/blue modules are the single track mini modules (101 mm deep) that could be connected in between the full depth (210 mm) modules. A scenery divider could fit between the mini modules and could be optional, shifted or masked (ie. by a tunnel) on the full depth ones. The meandering ones are a combination of a double and a single length mini module (the single length allowing one 33 mm shift)

post-1969-0-81822100-1490098893_thumb.png

• Like 1

Toni - this doesn't help with your current situation, but thinking about your proposal I had an idea for a possible future offshoot of T-Trak - something along the lines of Fremo-Trak.

You indicate you prefer single track operations, and I'm guessing at least some of that might be due to the character / ambience of single track lines. Only a single track line can achieve the charm of the South Bohemia layout recently seen in the Kanjiyama thread.

Besides the small size and portability of the modules, perhaps the greatest achievement of T-Trak is maximizing the space used on a 30" wide "banquet" table. At the same time, the greatest negative aspect of T-Trak might be the compulsion to achieve ever larger octopus-like set-ups of long trains running continuously on unrelentingly straight track, and I see that even Tokyo 2020 has succumbed to this questionable goal.

I appreciate that straight track at a fixed offset is a necessary evil for standardized modules, widely accepted until the European Fremo movement proved that it wasn't the only way to approach modular layouts. The design freedom of Fremo presents its own difficulties, illustrated by the immense amount of planning required for even a moderate sized meet. The diversity of module shapes and sizes requires that accurate information on each be stored in a database, to enable meet planners to create a reasonable and functional track plan. A complex operation scenario must also be scripted in advance.

T-Trak freed modelers from needing to be concerned with the weight and clumsiness of module legs, but it wouldn't do to have rectangular tables set-up in the helter-skelter manner of a Fremo meet. I'm suggesting that the current format of long rows of tables be retained, but certain design standards be applied to ensure that single track modules stay within the edges of the tables. Modelers could build any size and shape of module within these (proposed) tentative guidelines:

- Maximum length of a module is one meter - track is Kato or Tomix, TBD.

- Width at the module join should be standardized - perhaps 300 or 400 mm.

- The main line is centered at the module join, and straight for ~100 mm.

- The main line is precisely perpendicular at the module join.

- The maximum curve of the main line on any one module is limited - maybe 15 or 30 degrees.

- Operation would be end-to-end, and not loop.

- DCC operation would be optimal, as trains would be running in both directions on a single track line. The location and length of sidings would be a determining factor.

- An overall dispatcher / traffic controller would likely be required, based on size.

I see the module arrangement as being somewhat similar to the zig-zag used for overhead wire, with the maximum curve being restricted so that the next module can bring the track back toward the center of the table(s). With a relatively small group of modules, the actual arrangement could be determined at set-up time. If there were a lot of modules, a Fremo-like system would likely be required.

The modules could be rectangular, with the realization that other formats would require custom construction of unique shapes. Very thin and/or bendable plywood would allow module edges to follow the curve of the track as desired.

Another drawback compared to T-Trak is that twice the number of tables would be required, and since it would be linear that also means a larger space.

The major benefit is an uncompromised single track oriented system, and a very large degree of freedom in designing your module (s).

Possible connection to two track modules needs to be considered at a local level.

There are many things that would need to be worked out and formalized, so this should only be considered as a wild and crazy idea for possible future exploration by serious and creative modelers.

• Like 1

As an afterthought, a less disruptive way to achieve more interesting and pleasing single-track T-Trak modules is to have the main line positioned in the middle at each module join, unless one person has a group of modules which comply. This solution retains loop running, if that is desired, although two terminus points could be established just short of a loop for truer single track operation. However, any single track solution still leaves control issues to work out - which increase along with layout size and numbers of people.

Very difficult with scenery on the original 210mm deep modules. 300mm would be easier. But gotta work with what everyone else does.

If you do make a single track varient. Probably just using the same modules but only using R282 curves and a single line moves the track into the middle of the module more. 83mm from the front of the module instead of 50mm.

Or another option is to keep the corners as double. Use them as passing loops or storage. And make the straight modules single tracks using a turnout to converge the tracks. That way you only have one lot of corner modules for both styles.

Velotrain, you just described fremo single track without legs and placed on tables. (1 meter length, centered tracks, 40 cm width, max. 30 degrees, etc.)

Personally i think the ttrak format (31 cm length, 1x/2x/3x/4x lengths, 21 cm module ends, etc.) is better suited for japanese layouts and we have a single track variant from it too. Not to mention ttrak could also be set up as a point to point layout, just needs some terminuses and a Z- or Ü-schaltung with isolating joiners at module ends added during assembly. (Z is cab control in english, used by analog fremo and Ü means dedicated local controllers as suggested by Kato for larger layouts) The latter is already built into the ttrak standard. Imho there is no need for something fully new, but adding something that follows existing standards and just extends them is ok.

Übergabe schaltung (handower circuit) for ttrak:

Each direction at each station has one dedicated controller, with feed points at each end (optionally through an on/off switch). Crossovers between up and down tracks are isolated. Midway between stations there are double rail isolators. Trains are handed from each controller and station operator to the next. Each station operates as a mini layout. Operation requires 1 to 3 operators at each station. (turnout and signal controller, up and down drivers) The maximal amount of trains is not limited, but each direction must have at most one arriving or departing train, the total number of moving trains will be around the same as the number of stations. Longer open lines could also get dedicated controllers and their own block.

I'd like to remind everyone that one of the most important aspects of T-Trak is to compromise space. Size does matter, which is important in Japan, as cars for transport are sometimes a no go for venues. The Asakusa event (summer) won't be accessible for normal cars, so all modules and equipment has to be carried on public transport.

With my system in development I don't want to start a new module system, but rather offer a simple solution for those who would like to see single-track operations integrated in a double track layout. I don't want to stray from the original standards too much, so I will stick to the 210mm depth, as this is easy to transport.

However, I'm also tempted to create a wider module to actually give the opportunity to integrate already existing T1-Track standard modules in a double-track layout. The big concern with this is that there always needs to be extra track provided on either narrow modules on the backside (which can be made into small staging yards), or rails on modified piers (less transport space required).  With this system, recommended would be to use skyboards/backgrounds to hide the rails in the background. This would also make taking pictures of the modules more easy I'd reckon.

post-188-0-69922800-1490140662_thumb.png

An alternative for this is to switch the outside track for the inside track to allow for scenery in front of the tracks and create obscurities to make the landscape more interesting:

post-188-0-15060600-1490140722_thumb.png

An alternative for both concepts would then again also be to add points to allow for bi-directional operations on occasion. This will require however a sharp eye from the operator(s) and/or a well functioning automation system (so this is very much wishful thinking).

post-188-0-60817900-1490141071_thumb.png

kvp's idea with having narrow single-track modules instead of a simple hidden track layout is also quite nice, as this allows for very small and easily transportable scenes with possibly a required backdrop that can provide a division for both the narrow module and the T1-Trak module. The downside of this system however is that the modules on the backside won't be visible for the public, as the layout is usually only visible from one side. Making an exception for just these modules at every meeting would be a hassle.

The electronics on the layout are not so much a concern of mine, as T-Trak in Japan will use the ATC system already in use by the T-Trak Network (路面モジュール) system at bigger meetings (Kato Hobby Centre, Asakusa and perhaps the JAM as well).

Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 2

Personally i think the ttrak format (31 cm length, 1x/2x/3x/4x lengths, 21 cm module ends, etc.) is better suited for japanese layouts and we have a single track variant from it too.

Toni mentioned "A simple solution to this would be to handle the T1-Trak standard, which eliminates the inside track."

A major part of my thinking is that straight tracks - whether double or single, at the front edge of any modular system are boring and generally not at all scenic - back to the South Bohemia reference. Toni's suggested approach seemed like a somewhat convoluted way to get pseudo single track with a fair amount of scenery compromise - having to split off and hide the rear track. I was thinking about ways to get a more realistic and "cleaner" single track format.

I rest my case.

As much as suggestions go, ideas are always appreciated, but it would also have to be feasible in practice at meetings. There are plenty of options available to get scenery more to the front, like simply extending the module forward with a protrusion and so on.

For more realistic options, there are other module standards available, though I personally would like to stay within the T-Trak realm to be able to participate in every meeting without the meetings/organisers having to compromise on my behalf. Next to that, I would like to keep the number and size of transition modules as limited as possible for the ease of transportability in public transport. A double length module is the maximum size I'd like to go and a standard 210mm width would be ideal.

Another space saving option would be this setup:

post-188-0-55545100-1490149758_thumb.png

It reduces the overall length with one single T-Trak module (310mm), but requires one compensating length 248mm module. The compensating module could also be extended with a standard length module or whatever you have.

Even smaller, reducing it with one more module, it effectively becomes a triple-length module with a forced standard length T1-Trak module inserted in between:

post-188-0-69761100-1490151020_thumb.png

This might be the best option I've thought up so far, as it's compact. The two transition modules can also have a non-rectangular form where the inside track disappears behinds a backdrop. The space between the T1-Trak module would have to have at least a centimeter clearance playing space or so for a backdrop and layout construction's sake.

• Like 2

Do you have a link to this ATC system? (if it's in japanese it's ok as long as it has circuit diagrams)

AFAIK there is no online source for any ATC system schematics. I think that if there was, if would already have been picked up by others and improved. I really should push the creator to release these things to the public...