To be honest, the old Seibu trains have a certain charm. Especially the far flung branches, but that's almost always the case with big companies like that. The longer I'm in Japan, the more I appreciate the companies I deemed boring before. However, for me to dive into getting to know Seibu better, it's still too far away from me physically and mentally (I've actually never ridden on any Seibu train).

Yeah, the northwest area of Tokyo served by Seibu isn't the kind of area you end up going to much unless you live/work there.  There's nowhere of particular interest to visit, except maybe Kawagoe, which is served by Tobu and JR as well, and the Chichibu area (worth a visit for general holiday purposes).

Talking about ugly trains, I'm currently making my own from a JR West 103 N40 set I got for ¥3000 somewhere.

IMG_20161024_143224.jpg

The whole is mainly just a JNR 103 N40 rebuilt, but with the front a bodge of Shizutetsu and spare parts. Naturally, this train will go into the realm of the Sagamihara Development Railway. The whole centre of the design is a big front window to have a friendly image for passengers to be able to look over the driver's shoulder without hinderance. There are no big tunnel sections and little level crossings, so no minor impact-oriented design was needed, nor a front door. Just a front skirt for the occasional wildlife on the mountain section of the line. The main operational area will be on the Sagami line ((Chigasaki-) Atsugi - Hashimoto) and the Tsukui Midori line (Hashimoto - Sagamiko). However, partial operations on the Sagamihara Development Line are also possible.

• Like 3

Talking about ugly trains, I'm currently making my own from a JR West 103 N40 set I got for ¥3000 somewhere.

IMG_20161024_143224.jpg

The whole is mainly just a JNR 103 N40 rebuilt, but with the front a bodge of Shizutetsu and spare parts. Naturally, this train will go into the realm of the Sagamihara Development Railway. The whole centre of the design is a big front window to have a friendly image for passengers to be able to look over the driver's shoulder without hinderance. There are no big tunnel sections and little level crossings, so no minor impact-oriented design was needed, nor a front door. Just a front skirt for the occasional wildlife on the mountain section of the line. The main operational area will be on the Sagami line ((Chigasaki-) Atsugi - Hashimoto) and the Tsukui Midori line (Hashimoto - Sagamiko). However, partial operations on the Sagamihara Development Line are also possible.

from greenmax economy kit?

from greenmax economy kit?

Actually, it's from a rather rare Hobidas 103 Series Morinomiya EMU Depot formation (103系森ノ宮電車区編成(1•11•25編成)) kit, which is composed of mainly Greenmax components, Gacho House details, and Ginga Models details (which I sold off to a friend). There was only one N40 front car, so I had to bodge a centre car to a front car with the cabin doors of a 101 Series kit that came with the kit:

IMG_20161025_045907.jpg

IMG_20161025_045937.jpg

I'll have to add some extra putty, let that dry, and polish excess off before I put a primer base over the whole car. No hurry.

Actually, it's from a rather rare Hobidas 103 Series Morinomiya EMU Depot formation (103系森ノ宮電車区編成(1•11•25編成)) kit, which is composed of mainly Greenmax components, Gacho House details, and Ginga Models details (which I sold off to a friend). There was only one N40 front car, so I had to bodge a centre car to a front car with the cabin doors of a 101 Series kit that came with the kit:

IMG_20161025_045907.jpg

IMG_20161025_045937.jpg

I'll have to add some extra putty, let that dry, and polish excess off before I put a primer base over the whole car. No hurry.

i see.. it's really similar to toei 6177F both shape wise and history wise lol

Espass_6177.jpg

Wow!

Apart from the stainless steel body they look identical!

And the roof details, and the number and location of the breaks in the front and the curve of the roof and the curve of the top front part. Not to mention the small extra windows next to the doors and the size and shape of the main windows and the small windows next to the front. The number of wheels per car actually and the location of the pantograph do seem to match.  :)  Actually imho Toni's version looks better... (it has a somewhat retro 80ies look)

I would also like to argue that my project doesn't look much like the Jabotabek 6177F, but it is in a similar spirit.

As a big 80s design style fan, I chose to use the wedge shaped approach, which I think is simple and effective. It reflects the era the best IMO.

In good Sotetsu tradition, no small windows next to the doors are present. However, a more customer friendly design with the big front window breaks from that a bit tradition-wise.

Here is the flat painted version without any decorations or numbering. I'll have to think about making a decision on that for a while...

IMG_20161026_032252.jpg

Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 2

Looking good! I like the big front window, are you planing to add headlights and taillights as well?

Thank you! I'm not planning on having functional lights inbit for now, but it is an option, as the chassis is prepared for electrical pickup and interior lights. All that needs to be done is drill holes in the body and add the lights. Not too much work, but not a priority. I first would like to focus on finishing the model with an appropriate livery and add the details before I step into that direction.

Ugh... I chose a difficult paint scheme again... Need to patch up the white parts because I can't bring up the patience to do the black window linings...

IMG_20161026_165159.jpg

Maybe I'll redo the whole paint job. It's not really what I was going for.

Also, a next project:

IMG_20161026_142327.jpg

A Limited Express model. The fronts need modifications, but will be nothing special, like many Tōbu Ltd. Express trains. A practical, attractive and simple design will be used for this 4-car Yokohama - Hashimoto - Sagamiko, or Yokohama - Atsugi - Chigasaki speeder. Naw, the latter service will probably have a longer formation, but that's not my modelling focus.

P.s. for the commuter train, I think I'll just paint the window section black. Lazy to avoid having to paint the rubber sealing and it gives that late eighties feeling of futuristic modernity.

Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 2

A restart for the commuter train and a first layer of base paint for the Ltd. Express train:

IMG_20161027_162650.jpg

Both trains have a quite European (I might even say South-European) look to them. I guess that's my childhood hitting back at me... The Ltd. Express train really reminds me of the Croatian 6111 type EMU, whereas the commuter train reminds me of the narrow gauge DMU on the lines in Corsica.

• Like 1

I was about to comment on how these look like trains i see daily, but then i realized, the HZ6111/JZ411 is a hungarian made train, so yes... I would even go so far to think of a green with white band paint style for the commuter one and a blue with white band for the express. ( the left one: http://iho.hu/img/vasut/1209/120918_csinos/hev05.jpg and also the left one here: http://www.le-rail.ch/bild/JZ-Aufteilung/ZRS-411.jpg the blue with yellow bands were limited express variants for the 1984 olympics, some extra photos here, including the control car with the bar: http://forum.vozovi.com/viewtopic.php?t=83 )

I'm considering the commuter train to have a green or blue band indeed. I'll probably settle for both, as these are two of the three livery colours of my railway company (SDR). Maybe a pink accent roof line as well. Blue, green and pink are also the colours of the three wards of Sagamihara City, so it's not a coincidence :P

One thing I completely forgot about the Ltd. Express unit, is that I already decided on the name long ago: 'Tanuki-go'. Partially because there are many Tanuki in the area (I even spotted one near our apartment), plus the Ghibli movie Pom Poko plays in the area (granted it's Tama, but it's close anyway). Hence, the express will get the double brown treatment.

P.s. managed to paint the roof of the Ltd. Express today:

IMG_20161028_115325.jpg

Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 2

850mm is possibly the maximum width I can go. Anything bigger can't fit under the beds. This is a mixture of the Keikyū Oshiire line and the Seibu Chichibu layouts that featured earlier in this here thread. Two stabling sidings in the front and one in the back of the station with a bridge at the back of the layout:

01i_4_car_simple_compact.png

I've been testing making layouts on this limited size (max. 800 x max. 1100 mm), but didn't come up with a brilliant idea yet. Also, after some drive-testings, I want to get rid of any R177-15 curve as well, since it also poses a risk for derailments. So it's purely down to standard, classic Fine Track pieces from now own.

Also, I've been contemplating the height, as the layout can't be any higher than 190 mm... It's practically nothing, so I'll have to keep the tracks level and maybe try to maximise the scenery on the space that remains between the board and the storage space. Maybe a modular type of scenery can be a solution to gain height.

P.s. here is the bare minimum I want to go for. 700 x 1000mm with a cramped station that can just fit 4-cars (semi-)realistically:

01j_4_car_simple_compact.png

I still need a few more track pieces for this idea, though the R177-15 pieces have gone.

Edited by Kabutoni

I think I've finally made up my mind about what layout I want to make. It took a lot of planning and thinking, but now I have a goal to work towards:

01j_4_car_simple_compact3.png

I think the plan is pretty self-explanatory. Two stations, with one station having staging tracks for two trains. In total five trains can be present on the layout, though I think it'd be healthier for operations to have four to ensure smooth operations. Three more points need to be purchased, which is the most important goal for now. Maybe some replacements for my crappy old standard points is also in order, but that's less of a concern.

All in all, this layout contains all my wishes; 4-car 20m trains, more than three trains on the layout, two stations, two staging tracks and plenty of room for scenery.

As for the scenery, I'm not entirely sure what to do with it, but I think the best and most fun solution would be to make a background board in the dead middle. This way I can have two completely different settings. One as a busy town scene and the other set in a more rural area. The town scene could feature a sneaky and short tram section where single and double car units can run their rounds.That could be very fun for two person operations. The rural scene then would have the trams hidden from view under the landscape (maybe even with a passing loop), so the scenery doesn't get too cluttered there. If I can really manage to plan the scenery well, I might even be able to squeeze a moving bus in all of it...

I think this is a nice plan. You could add power to the stable track through a track power on-off switch and a feeder at the buffer stop. It's possible to connect the feeder switch to the switch lever of the bottom turnout. Also, you can eliminate the selector box and the isolation if you power the layout by the joiners between the two curved turnouts on right side. (or course, connecting the selector to the lever of the upper right curved turnout would also work)

You're right on the power between the points, but I'd like to keep electronics as minimal as possible, so I'm going for a complete Tomix system. I already have all the elements, except the selector switch. Maybe I'll consider it, as these tracks will be hidden anyway, so it can be done without actually having to drill into the roadbed. It probably saves a bit of money I can spend on scenery, as well as wires and making something very simple overly complex... 

The unpowered track is an optional idea and will be used to store either MOW stock or unpowered empty stock, so I don't see any need in powering that track. That station in particular is by the way heavily inspired on the layout of Sōtetsu's Nishi-Yokohama station where a few MOW things are stored next to a few stable tracks that hold some empty trains for in between the rush hour periods:

kba47t.jpg

Usually, on the rightmost tracks there is a tie tamper or something else.

If you're just storing MOW equipment on the unpowered track, you can always just kitbash a fake turnout from some old rail. That might save quite some money. Or just use one of those crappy old turnouts for it. ;)

• Like 1

If you're just storing MOW equipment on the unpowered track, you can always just kitbash a fake turnout from some old rail. That might save quite some money. Or just use one of those crappy old turnouts for it. ;)

I already have an old point planned for it. It doesn't redirect power any more, but I also should check out what's wrong with it exactly. Maybe it's fixable, but if not, I'll hard-wire the powerrouting in one direction and use it as a dummy with a switching function.

nice setting, love it. but why don't go for a fully double track layout instead? you could run 2 trains at the same time..

Ballast is the devil. 

so plasser is the hero?