Tomix 0-7000 Question

Minelayer

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone knows when the release date for the Tomix 92702 0-7000 Shinkansen was. I think it was somewhere around 2003/4 or so?

Also, would the Tomix 92963 Goodbye Version be considered it's replacement? (Other than it being a goodbye version that is).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/comments.

Minelayer

Minelayer,

I can't help you with the first question, other then mentioning that HS doesn't list a release date, which they do for sets released as far back as Jan 2001. So this might suggest a release as far back as 2000 or even earlier.

now for you're second question:

Also, would the Tomix 92963 Goodbye Version be considered it's replacement? (Other than it being a goodbye version that is).

The short answer would be: No, as they represent different formations ((W)Sk vs (W)R)

The long answer: The way model manufacturers (Kato, Tomix and MA are all equally guilty of this) refer to their Shinkansen sets by their sub-types as opposed to the formation they represent is incorrect and can create confusion for those not familiar with the classification used for the Shinkansen. This is particularly troubling for the older J.N.R. types, the 0系 and the 200系 as those series more often then not had up to two or even three different sub-types within a single formation (dependent on the period and formation). Especially within the 0系 this was the rule, rather then the exception in the last 25/30 years of their operational life, take for example JR Tōkai formation Nh37: in 1994 this 16 car Hikari formation had among others, a 1982 built 21形 (21-2008, a 2000番台) a 1976 built 25形 (25-1001, a 1000番台) and a 1975 built 36形 (36-88, a 0番台) just as an example (the formation consisted of: six 2000番台, eight 1000番台 and two 0番台 cars), which was quite typical for a 0系 formation in that period. So for example, Kato referring to their 16 car 0系 model as a 0-2000 is incorrect, even though most of the cars are in fact 2000番台 (3 cars are 1000番台, though this total should've included a few 0番台 cars to be prototypical...) marketing the model as a Nh formation would've been more correct. Same applies to the Tomix versions, and in a lesser extend to the MicroAce model as they model the early homogenous formations, as opposed to the mixed formations post 1976.

For the more modern series this is less of a problem, as they tend to stay a lot more homogenous throughout their careers, and most of the time have shorter production runs. Though in some cases, like for example the E2系, this does indeed rear it's head again, as the E2系 J formations (J1~J15) are sometimes referred to as E2系100番台 to differentiate from both the N formations (E2系0番台) and the J51~J75 formations (E2系1000番台) though both N and J formations contain 100番台 cars, and while the cars of both are officially classified as part of the E2系0番台 fleet.

Anyway, on to the model, to understand the difference, in a prototypical sense, you have to look into what both models represent, and what "0-7000" really refers to;

Tomix 92702 represents a JR West Sk formation. The Sk formations where a result of the abolition of J.N.R. in April of 1987, and the resulting split of the 0系 inventory between JR Tōkai and JR West. JR West, being responsible for the Sanyō Shinkansen, had different capacity requirements then JR Tōkai, who was by now responsible for the operation of the much busier Tōkaidō Shinkansen. As a result JR West didn't have as much need for 16 car formation as JR Tōkai, who at that moment was further increasing their capacity further by expanding 12 car S/Sk formations to 16 car Y/Yk formations. After the split though, JR West started reforming surplus N/Nh Hikari formations into 12 car (W(est))Sk formations, to be used on new services from Shin-Ōsaka to Hakata (and the reverse) beginning in 1988, these services where also known as 'West Hikari'. Starting in 1989, the Sk formation cars where renewed by JR West to make them better suited for the 'West Hikari' services, as well as life extension for the oldest cars (mainly 0番台 cars). During this renewal the 3-2 seating in ordinary cars was replaced by 2-2 reclining/rotating seats, and the cars where repainted in a white (as opposed to ivory) livery featuring two blue stripes, a big one around the windows and a smaller one a few centimeters bellow (similar to the, then new 100系). The renewed cars where renumbered into: 3000番台 (former 0番台 cars), 5000番台 (former 1000番台) and 7000番台 (former 2000番台 cars, ergo 0-7000), and though there was one full (as built) 2000番台 formation (Sk10), as the 16形 cars (green car) weren't renewed, this was technically a 2000/7000番台 formation. in early 2000 the last Sk formations where replaced by new eight car 700系 E formations, the well known 'Hikari Rail star'. Surplus cars where used to form new six car (W)R formations (to reinforce the already existing R formations), leading us to the second Tomix set:

Tomix 92963 represents a (W)R formation (R61 to be precise), and is part of the R61~R68 sub group within the R formations.

Formations R61~R68 where all created using surplus cars from retired Sk formations, and all consisted of 7000番台 cars. In the same year, the 37形 (buffet) cars which where still part of the formations, but weren't used as such anymore, where rebuild into 25形7900番台 cars.

The coming of those formations from 2000 onwards, allowed, together with the formation of 4/6 car 100系 formations (P and K formations), for the replacement of the older life expired R formations, which was completed in 2005. This made the R61~R68 formations the last active 0系 Shinkansen anywhere in Japan. In 2008, with the first 500系 V formations being formed, and the upcoming retirement announced, three (R61, R63 and R68) of the remaining five formations (R61, R63, R64 R67 and R68) where repainted into their original color scheme, the first being repainted in April. On November 30th 2008 (last day of the autumn timetable IRC) the 0系 was retired from scheduled service, followed by a few special Hikari runs. On December 14 the era of the 0系 was officially ended, with Hikari 347 (Shin-Ōsaka to Hakata), using formation R61 (the Tomix set), marking the end of more then 44 years of service.

Anyway, I hope this answers you're question, and I probably added a tiny bit too much information in relation to you're question, but I hope It's of use anyway.

-Sander

• Like 4

Hello Mr Minelayer,

Please allow me to provide additional information following the excellent response from 200系.

Firstly, the Tomix 92702 was released in 1992.  I am not sure of the exact month but I think April.  The product was released again in 1996.  The tooling was the same for both release.

As such, because of the age, the model has several shortcomings in quality of production:

1. Frames of the front windows are too thick and poorly detailed;

2. Driving cab interior is blue color;

3. Panto is fixed in raised position;

4. Ends of intermediate cars not correctly modelled.  The product looks fine assembled as a consist, but not for display of individual cars;

5. You will find some bleeding of blue paintwork.

However, such shortcomings were typical of models of the day.

Please consider the review of 2008 comparing Kato 10-136, Kato 10-453, Tomix 92702, and Micro Ace A0259.

http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~toyoyasu/zero.htm

• Like 4

Miyakoji-san,

I do not collect steam, but you are right as I frequently rely on information derived from this site.  Especially look at Nゲージの比較(蒸機以外)here: http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~toyoyasu/memo-c.htm

I always read the information here before making a purchase.  But I find it often confuse me further.  I have two reasons:

1. I usually find pros and cons with the model of each manufacturer on offer;

2. No comparison is made with the actual prototype;

For example, if you consider the Yufuin-no-Mori comparison.  I think the underfloor component of Tomix is superior to Micro Ace.  The cars couple closer together, the bogie is more accurate and the hoses are depicted between cars.  The matt finish to the roof is also accurate.  On the other hand, Micro Ace has done a better job of the seating, overall color, skirt hoses at end cars, and decals.  Personally, I chose the Tomix product for the at-a-glance-correct roof color.  But one has to question whether window wipers should be included with a Tomix HG product.  There should be nothing more to buy, don't you think?

• Like 1

After I posted, I continued to look around the site, I noticed that only the comparison of the C61 has an image of the real thing, C61 2 at Umekoji.

Yes, this kind of comparison does seem to make things more complicated, when there is no clear winner.  Perhaps the manufacturers just want us to buy all of the models :grin... :(

• Like 1

Hello Miyakoji-san,

Thankfully, such detailed comparisons demonstrate that Kato, Tomix, and Micro Ace are all using different factories, or at least different moulds to produce their models.

Hello Mr Minelayer,

So sorry, Tomix 92702 is no longer listed on the website or in the catalog.  Please do not expect the product to be re-released.

• Like 1