Tomytec - Painted & Anything Model Bus Related

JR 500系

With two articulated bus models coming out, I was wondering how many operators in Japan actually run them as they have been rare. I am aware of these in addition to Kanagawa Chuo and Shinki:

- Keisei Bus runs Citaro artics and used to run Volvo/FHI ones in Chiba

- Ohmi Tetsudo in Kusatsu/Otsu runs Citaro artics

- Gifu Bus in Gifu runs Citaro artics

- Niigata Kotsu in Niigata runs Scania/Volgren artics

Are there any other Japanese operators running articulated buses? 

It seems like this are really gaining in popularity - and so I wonder if that means we could expect more Tomytec models. Personally, i like the Volgren best.

When it comes to the N scale Erga Mio bus models, I see the newly announced Local Bus set already has one in it. We will probably see many more of these. The other model in that set looks to be a two step Fuso Aero Star, 

Edited by mukade

JR Bus Kanto uses (although I don't think in revenue service) some ex-Keisei Volvo/FHI units based in Shirakawa, Fukushima, and Nishitetsu Bus uses two Scania/Volgrens in Fukuoka.

Iwasaki Bus Network in Kagoshima also received some ex-Keisei units a few years ago, but I don't know if they ever put them into service.

I noticed that set. First train and bus combo pack?

There used to be one set like this a long time ago:

fujikyuset1.jpg

Moving on, the Twin Liner, or articulated bus is finally out today... what seems mighty interesting is this:

10395187a5.jpg

The moving wheel is the centre wheel, and the rear is nothing but just a trailer... interesting!

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 2
The moving wheel is the centre wheel, and the rear is nothing but just a trailer... interesting!

Not that much, as all standard tractor-trailer type articulated buses have this arrangement. It allows a passive articulation and in case of an added rear axle steering rod connected to the articulation, the same turning radius as a solo bus. (the famous hungarian ikarus 200 series buses used this arrangement, essentially a 1-B-1 arrangement and this also allows a 1-B-1-1 double articulated design with shared modular parts between all types and a common main steering/power chassis, including diesel and electric variants)

Do those instructions warn not to use the C66 curved roadway pieces with this bus?

Rich K.

Correct. The bus won't be able to negate any narrow curves, much like the real thing (which it probably could though).

Several new bus models were announced including:

- JB045 Matsudo Shin-Keisei Bus Isuzu Erga non-step (QPG-LV234N3)

- JB046 Iyotetsu Bus Hino Blue Ribbon new style non-step (QPG-KV290Q3) - First 5800mm wheelbase new style and first all-Japan series model from a Shikoku prefecture

- JR Kyushu B&S (Bus & Shinkansen) Miyazaki bus in Tsubame livery: Mitsubishi Fuso Aero Ace (LKG-MS96VP)

- Coastal Bus Rumoi Betsukari bus and train set commemorating the last train on the JR Rumoi-Mashike line: Engan Bus Mitsubishi Fuso Aero Star II one-step (QKG-MP35FM) and the diesel train car

And the first of a new series called "Let`s Go by Bus". This one has three buses at "World Heritage Kumano Kodo Inn front of Hongu Taisha"  in Wakayama prefecture. I think these are the first models from that prefecture.

- Meiko Bus Hino Selega-R

- Ryujin Bus Hino Blue Ribbon (KC-HT2MPCA)

- Kumano Kotsu Hino Selega (U-RU2FRAB)

Edited by mukade

Interesting models, and any new bus models are more than welcomed! However they are mainly older moulds.... hoping to see some new moulds soon...

What about the The Bus Collection JR Kyusyu B&S Miyazaki

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10438357

Tomytec seems to be coming out with more single bus models these days... Wonder if it is because sales are better with these... The B & S models were only released by Popondetta sometime back, so this is very welcomed especially for Kyushu fans.

Another train and bus set, I think this is a new trend here ~

Edited by JR 500系

Speaking of new moulds.... The most curious thing is that despite all the new Isuzu Erga and Hino Blue Ribbon models coming out every month, the only Aero Star MP38 remains the Kanagawa Chuo original set one which came out a year ago. There are not yet any Aero Star one-step models with the new front style yet

There are some really nice ideas there! It gives me a lot of inspiration for my own little layout as well. It's not really programming, but electrical mechanical engineering going on here. It's not automated (except the traffic signal), as it's all hand operated, but maybe that's good, as there are no sensors and feedback electronics needed. Very nice nonetheless!

Excellent! I played with doing points way back with the faller busses and it worked great. I just did them manually pulling the wire to move the point. Cool thing with a stepper motor you could have multiple branch points at one point. Also some pretty tight and complex patterns could be done with the guide wire.

Jeff

This is just too darn good NOT to post!

The programming in this circuit is just... astonishing...

Thanks for posting it.

I spent some hours in youtube today and this video came across.

Cheers,

Edited by nxcale
  • Like 4
woodbury22uk

10395187a5.jpg

Do those instructions warn not to use the C66 curved roadway pieces with this bus? I do not read Japanese. Any help appreciated!

Rich K.

Rich

I do not think that there is any warning about the minimum radius but the articulation has its limits. I have managed to get mine to run around a 90 degree 66mm curve by installing a strip of 5mm flexible foam plastic on the inside of the curve to cope with the cut in of the trailer wheels. It just copes with this and I have several of these on my layout. But if the curve is 180 degrees and 66mm radius the articulation locks and will not allow the bus to follow the wire. It then runs off to the outside of the bend. So there needs to be a stretch of straight track or gentler curve ahead of a minimum radius 90 degree curve for it to work. The articulation is rigid plastic and forms part of the driving unit. It seemed to be not very free moving initially. So I rubbed a soft black pencil around the inside of the front edge of the trailer body, and the graphite provides just enough lubrication for it to move smoothly.

I'll put up a video shortly to show it working.

woodbury22uk

The video shows that the articulated bus will just about go round 90 degrees of 66mm/2.5inch curve. It is at the limit of the articulation and the trailer is close to pulling the bus off the road. The larger curves are 177mm/7 inch radius and the trailer tracks through these without a problem.

Author's note:    On Saturday, December 3, 2016, I went to the "Kananaka bus goods sale meeting" held at the corner plaza in Hiratsuka city, Kanagawa prefecture!     Tomy Hirasuka video.

Edited by bill937ca

The dc-crafts web site shows a preview of the TomyTec bus collection set #22 which will have the two lengths of the Fuso new Aero Star non-step models and the 1980s Fuso (Kureha body) Bulldog models. This new version of the Bulldog is based on the Kanagawa Chuo set 3 model that is much more realistic than the ones that were in set #1. The brochure only states that this set will be released in 2017.

This image is from a link in the dc-crafts web site (http://dc-crafts.main.jp/trm/img2017/img20170101a.jpg):

http://dc-crafts.main.jp/trm/img2017/img20170101a.jpg

Edited by cteno4
Image embed
  • Like 2

Well, if you consider the purchase of this model (probably a Kanachu one), the designing and printing of the decal (not cheap), the labour of it all, plus the desirability of a model like this, it's quite understanding to see these prices.

The DC Crafts web site describes a lot of the new Tomytec N-gauge bus models coming out soon. They include:

Coming in March is Enoden Bus Original Set #5:

Enoden Bus KC-MP637M Aero Star-M/MBECS

Enoden Bus QKG-MP38FK New style Aero Star

Nationwide set #23:

JB047 Kominato Tetsudo - Isuzu QDG-LV290N1 - New style Erga (Chiba)

JB048 Saihi Bus - Isuzu QDG-LV290N1 - New style Erga (Nagasaki)

The Bus Collection set #22:

Asahikawa Denki Kidō  - MP118 (Hokkaido) 

Chitose Sōgo Kankō Bus - MP118 (Hokkaido) 

Kanto Tetsudo Bus - MP118 (Ibaraki) 

Toyo Bus - MP38FM (Chiba) 

Seibu Bus MP38FK (Saitama/Tokyo) 

Shizutetsu Just Line - MP38FM (Shizuoka) 

Hokutetsu Bus - MP38FM (Ishikawa)

Ohmi Tetsudo Bus - MP38FK (Shiga) 

Kyoto City Bus - MP38FK (Kyoto) 

Shinki Bus - MP38FM (Hyogo) 

Hiroshima Bus - MP38FK (Hiroshima)

Azuma Un'yu (Azuma Bus)  - MP38FK (Okinawa)

See: http://dc-crafts.main.jp/trm/img2017/img20170101e.jpg

Edited by mukade