Tomytec - Painted & Anything Model Bus Related

JR 500系

I've seen the various test layouts and they don't have real turnouts, just these selective ones. They work as spring switches, like the new Tomytec ones. On the other hand, you can see, that it's possible to build very complex layouts without using active switches.

Hi JR500,

In your first video it looks like the bus chassis is having its problem very early on the stop section. If you look at the third diagram down on the first page you scanned, the bus should stop farther along the stop track. So, it looks like the front steering magnet is "freezing" over the under-road control magnet (which is actually supposed to be off-center of the vehicle lane).

The diagrams at the bottom left of the third scanned page seem to be showing some sort of adjustments at the front and rear of the bus chassis. I can't read Japanese to know the details.

I assume all three of the chassis you tried are behaving the same way as the video shows. Do they do this on all of your stop track sections? Did the stop sections came entirely pre-assembled, or did you have to mount or assemble things? I only have two of the original Moving Bus sets, but their pull-over stop sections and chassis work fine, so I am having trouble imaging how things got messed up with the new ones that you have. Jeff may be right that there is a stop magnet quality problem, in which case there will be an official explanation (and apology) forthcoming. Does anyone else in this group have these parts yet and can test them out?

Rich K.

• Like 1

Thanks Rick K for the comments!

im guessing the retainer magnet may be pushed in too far to the road bed and thus grabbing the bus even when in the go position.  does it look like it can be pulled down some from the underside?

maybe they got a batch of magnets that were more strongly magnetized than they should be.

jeff

Tks Jeff! I don't think I can remove the magnet though, cause it might seem that the magnet is the mechanism that stops the bus at the junctions, much like the bus stops. I'm guessing the magnet is way too strong to totally 'suck' in the bus. The bus motor tries very hard rear wheels spinning and then finally it can move through...  

Hi JR500,

In your first video it looks like the bus chassis is having its problem very early on the stop section. If you look at the third diagram down on the first page you scanned, the bus should stop farther along the stop track. So, it looks like the front steering magnet is "freezing" over the under-road control magnet (which is actually supposed to be off-center of the vehicle lane).

Yap. I think the picture actually means it is recommended to have a straight right before the stop track so that the bus can straighten itself after a bend before coming to a stop at the stop track. The stop track works fine though, the bus stops right off the track and right in front of the cross junction line. Without the straight, the bus might stop slanting and might cause some issues when entering the junction.

The diagrams at the bottom left of the third scanned page seem to be showing some sort of adjustments at the front and rear of the bus chassis. I can't read Japanese to know the details.

It seems to be how to adjust the bus chassis should there be a problem with the chassis, like bending the chassis to be straight or bending the magnet up for lesser suction etc. but with my limited Japanese I cant fully understand them. By the way I did try to bend the chassis just for trying but it still gets 'stuck' whenever it enters that specific road piece.

I assume all three of the chassis you tried are behaving the same way as the video shows. Do they do this on all of your stop track sections? Did the stop sections came entirely pre-assembled, or did you have to mount or assemble things? I only have two of the original Moving Bus sets, but their pull-over stop sections and chassis work fine, so I am having trouble imaging how things got messed up with the new ones that you have. Jeff may be right that there is a stop magnet quality problem, in which case there will be an official explanation (and apology) forthcoming. Does anyone else in this group have these parts yet and can test them out?

Yap all  3 behave exactly the same way, BM-01, BM-02 and BM-03. They perform perfectly on my other bus tracks though, like bus stops, bends, straights, whatever I throw at them, just the new tracks they do not seem to like them... The junction comes in four pieces, so each piece is like a 'boomerang'? Connect all 4 and you can get a full dual carriageway junction, connect 2 and you just get a single way T-junction.  

I just found this guy's video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XkkEJc-bsY

Notice the tapes on the track? I need to study in depth this video to see what I have done wrong...

I hope others with the set can look into theirs to see if they encounter the same problem. I sure hope it's not a product issue and it's just something i'm doing wrong... Wouldn't like the item recall process....

Also, here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ap_e714FRQ

I wonder how they control the points? I see wires, but I don't see how they did it. Also, there are tapes at the road pieces, do the tapes help to solve this issue?

I discovered that the initial product when announced and the final finished product for the junction is not the same too: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBs7mjurI2A       (refer to 0:55 starts)

The initial has split lanes before coming to the junction, meaning the bus will keep left to turn left or keep right to turn right when approaching or stopping at the junction, but I don't see this function in the released product. Or does the product actually have an option for this?

Am I doing something wrong or missing something here?

Darn I feel so dumb buying a product and not knowing how to fully utilise it...

Edited by JR500 のぞみ

The original prototype had electric turnouts, stop sections and the double lanes. The final product has manual turnouts, stop sections and no double lanes. Actually the price for the whole crossing would be about the same as at least 16 electric turnouts if they kept everything. The instructions only mention two things that could cause trouble. First is that you must ensure that the bus have aligned itself on the road, by adding straight sections before the stop tracks if needed. The second things to the explanation about how to operate the stopping sections, by pushing at one point and pulling at another. I don't know why the latter is required, but the first advice is to make sure the guide magnet is straight above the wire, otherwise the stopping magnet might stick to it or in the other case the sensor could miss the stopping magnet. Othan than adding more straight sections, a good idea might be to add a slowing magnet somewhere, so the steering mech has more time and less overshot and can get the bus to go straight before arriving above the stopping magnet.

Though I've yet to solve my moving bus issue, the recent purchase have kept me busy playing trains. But nonetheless i'll always find time for buses which is my close second interest in Japanese transport!

Now we've seen quite a fair bit of trains PV (Promotional Video), but a bus one?

Here's a Keio Bus PV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2xjMrHLDUc

Keio does quite a fair bit of PVs !

And from my recent purchase, I got hold of the Tomytec Odakyu Evangelion bus set number 2! Love these printed buses!

I took some pictures comparing the bus set 1 and 2... Being a fan of both buses and Evangelion these sets are a god send!\

Hope you like the pictures!

post-819-0-76152700-1409122574_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-10827100-1409122581_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-44873500-1409122587_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-21108600-1409122598_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-70453100-1409122605_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-32796800-1409122616_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-35364100-1409122848_thumb.jpg

Edited by JR500 のぞみ
  • Like 1

A quick question:

I own the Basic Set B3, and I want to buy a second basic set to create a two-lane oval.  Should I be looking for a B basic set (B1, B2) or an A basic set (A1, A2, A3)?

Thanks. 

A quick question:

I own the Basic Set B3, and I want to buy a second basic set to create a two-lane oval.  Should I be looking for a B basic set (B1, B2) or an A basic set (A1, A2, A3)?

Thanks. 

Apologizes for the late reply, just read this!  :)

For basic sets B1, B2 & B3, the tracks they provided for curves are C177, hence the basic B sets cannot be used to make two lanes as they are identical.  

For the basic sets A1, A2 & A3, the tracks they provided for curves are C140 and C103, so ideally, you can join the C177 on the outer lanes that you have in Basic set B3 to the C140 from the Basic Sets A1-3 for the inner lanes to form a two lane road. However, please beware that the Basic set A1-3 only provided 6 numbers of the C140, which is only enough for a half circle, not enough for a full oval. Also, you will have excess C103 left over.

My suggestion is, better to get the tracks by themselves instead of getting the track sets. You can get the C140 by themselves and connect them with your basic set B3 to form a double lane road. I tried to find a photo of the curves but couldn't at the moment... Anyhow, the radius works this way:

1) C66 (Inner most)

2)  C103  

3) C140

4) C177

5) C214 (outer most)

Hoped that helps! Have fun!

• Like 1

Has anyone created an automatic stop yet?  Say - where you can set the stop duration and then the bus will continue on its own?

Not really, but i have some vague ideas and plans for the future. You'll need a hall sensor with a digital output to detect the tracking magnet of the bus, then somehow create a magnetic force indicating stop next to the sensor. This can be done with the normal stop section, moved in position with a motor (servo) or by turning on a small electromagnet designed for continous operation. The output of the hall sensor can be sensed by a microcontroller and it can turn on a coil drive chip (or equivalent transistor circuit), then turn it off after a preset time. Instead of a microcontroller, it's possible to use any timed delay circuit, both electric and electromechanic. Just be careful not to re activate the stop sensor after departure until the tracking maget fully clears the sensor.

The same circuit can be set to take input from a track occupancy detection circuit and keep the stop magnet energised as long as the occupancy is present. This is even more simple, since any occupancy detector that can pull a relay (has high current outputs) can pull the stop magnet without any extra circuits. This is good for a railroad crossing. The smaller Tomix roadbed (tram) track pieces contain the grooves for the bus guide wires, so they can be configured as mixed rail/bus track for various crossing types, including single and double lane, even so complex as a multi track mainline crossed by a multi lane road with tram tracks in it.

An extra complex version of the circuit above would be to monitor which stop positon is taken, so multiple buses can queue up at the crossing, then get released one by one or shifted one stop at a time. This can also be used for bus and truck terminal queues. Of course this would need a rather large and heavy duty microcontroller, something like an arduino and lots of sensors and stop magnets.

What about the Miniatronics RU2-1?

I realize that you would need to mount the stop sensors at the bus stations.

One issue might be the need to pass the unit's auto reverse function and just use the timed station stops?

A normal bus stop contains a magnet that can be set to indefinite stop or timed stop. That timer is on board the bus, so for an externally controlled stop, you have to provide the indefinite stop polarity on the electromagnet and remove the original control parts.

The miniatronics is an optical sensor based system, not really ideal for a magnet based system and can't really drive the stop magnets, because it was designed for dc motor control. (it can probably be hacked to work, but imho it's easier to build a new dedicated circuit)

A normal bus stop contains a magnet that can be set to indefinite stop or timed stop.

I hadn't realized that.  I thought you had to manually set it on the station section for stop or go.

How do you enable the timed system?

How do you enable the timed system?

Flip the magnet. One polarity is timed the other is indefinite stop. Also for the speed control magnets, one polarity is slow, the other is fast. The same placement trick can be used for stopping a bus at an interesection that doesn't have a normal stop section. This allows the simulation of stop signs.

I have a motorized moving bus chassie that is missing a rear gear for the Green Bus Set BM-2.  How can I go about fixing this.  Does Tomytec have a way to fix them or someone that does?

Keeping the thread alive, the recent Popondetta buses are really neat! Looks like the previous Kyosho, but colours and interior detailing have been improved...

Also featured in this post is the newly released 'Journey by Local Bus trip' set. For those unfamiliar with this series, it is a TV show (we get to watch it here in Sillypore sometimes on Japan Hour) whereby the hosts are required to get from one prefecture to another within a stipulated time frame, using ONLY local buses or ローカル路線バス, NO trains, NO high speed buses. It's difficult to connect buses but it's nice to watch how they managed to connect them to get further. Best of, it also shows the punctuality of Japanese buses with their schedules!

Lastly is a Tomytec special release box set, Tokyu Bus Set III. These sets are not sold in stores but only at designated locations on certain days, so they are kinda hard to get. Still trying to collect them all!

post-819-0-82909600-1422540040_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-71763400-1422540046_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-66987900-1422540048_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-10799800-1422540133_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-61638100-1422540139_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-25809100-1422540145_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-17932300-1422540151_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-63479200-1422540331_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-68717100-1422540337_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-86206300-1422540340_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-92250500-1422540342_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-33587900-1422540345_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-40511300-1422540347_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-53598300-1422540350_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-04856300-1422540359_thumb.jpg

Edited by JR500 のぞみ
  • Like 1

Hi, I just received the 'Journey by Local Bus trip' set today, they look so great and the packaging is also very nice!

Some of the shows can be found on You Tube and I will also put some in my Dropbox in a few days time.

Edited by dabsan

Hi, I just received the 'Journey by Local Bus trip' set today, they look so great and the packaging is also very nice!

Some of the shows can be found on You Tube and I will also put some in my Dropbox in a few days time.

Yes, it is a long running series as it is really popular with tourist, since the locals can take buses around and they are fairly cheaper than train journeys.

Hey I thought I saw a link to the videos? That was a great find! I wish to watch some of the older episodes I missed.... It's through these episodes that sometimes they recommend good shops that we can visit if it fits into the plan!

Yes, it is a long running series as it is really popular with tourist, since the locals can take buses around and they are fairly cheaper than train journeys.

Hey I thought I saw a link to the videos? That was a great find! I wish to watch some of the older episodes I missed.... It's through these episodes that sometimes they recommend good shops that we can visit if it fits into the plan!

Yeah I found a link to the videos but they are on the FC2 video website, some need premium membership, so I deleted the link. I will put some episodes in my dropbox tonight and put a link.

I will also re-post the link I deleted

http://dougazukan.com/localbus/

:)

Hi, here are the links to the first 2 shows of ローカル路線バスの旅.

ローカル路線バスの旅 #1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r9xgsskpfy55vuh/%E3%83%AD%E3%83%BC%E3%82%AB%E3%83%AB%E8%B7%AF%E7%B7%9A%E3%83%90%E3%82%B9%E3%81%AE%E6%97%85%20%231.flv?dl=0

ローカル路線バスの旅 #2

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbn0z5ngqhpllbi/%E3%83%AD%E3%83%BC%E3%82%AB%E3%83%AB%E8%B7%AF%E7%B7%9A%E3%83%90%E3%82%B9%E3%81%AE%E6%97%85%20%232.flv?dl=0

Hope people find them interesting? :)

• Like 1

Thank you dabsan! That was most generous!

I do find it very interesting! I think the Japanese too, since it has now rolled into the 20th bullet? It's a great way to see Japan on buses too, with all the 'secret' and lesser known areas explored... I can't say I really like Ebisu san though....

Ah yes, pretty awesome stuff! I think I have seen this guy in action at the JMRA last time with the T-Trak guys (I have the feeling I know the guy who made the T-Trak module the Airport Limousine is running on in the first scenes).

It's cool looking, but it must be extremely hard to run these things on a layout, let alone build it.

Wow! Great work on the r/c! Fitting into the bus and especially the truck is work. Wonder what he is using for the steering servo. I know they keep getting smaller with all the micro fliers these days. A while back I got one of of those micro r/c cars (bout 1" long) and tore it apart to see if the rc stuff could go into a bus or truck. The steering servo and mech were jsut a bit to fat to fit into a n scale bus. Might have worked but would require total strip down and build back up so I dropped it. Also the steering servo was all or nothing, not a continuous servo control,

I like the scenes with the moving busses that are areas like station fronts like this where it would be primarily only the busses driving and having the right of way as it's not too jarring that any other vehicles are not moving or it's reasonable to the mind's eye they are just waiting.

Cheers

Jeff