Uneven Unitrack rail joints?

scott

I've noticed lately that, at several spots where two pieces of Unitrack join, I have uneven joins--the rail on one piece will be noticeably higher than another. The unijoiners appear to be together correctly. Sometimes engines or power cars will bump over these joins more than I would like.

This really became a problem when I was having problems with yet another locomotive (we probably have one or two out six or so that will just run without hesitating, jerking, stopping, etc....arg....). I finally realized that its fairly low-slung snowplow was hanging up on these uneven joins. (Of course, idiot me thinks, "Oh, the snowplow is removable--I can just do without!" When I removed the snowplow, the spring and coupler fell out, and I still can't find the spring.)

Have I just done a lousy job of putting the Unitrack together, or is there some technique I've missed for getting these joins to be smooth? I've never  heard of anybody having any trouble like this with Unitrack, which makes me think I must be doing something wrong. But I'm not sure what.

Any help would be appreciated. Your patience with my stupidity is appreciated.

Scott - Can you post a photo of the track that you are having problems with? This will help members to see the problem looks like.

As for losing a spring or parts, we've all have done that. Every time I take apart a train, it is almost even money something is going to "pop" out and I be searching for it.

alpineaustralia

I have the same problem with unitrack. I end up getting a pair of longnose pliers and forceably pushing/bending down the rail that sticks up until it is the right height. This is especially a problem if you run your trains on an uneven or unreliable surface like carpet (as opposes to a solid surface like a wooden table). I must admit I have had mu layout up long enough that I have bent down all of the offending rails.

As the famous Japanese expression goes ... "the nail that sticks up is nailed down"

Thanks for the ideas--I don't have any pictures, but I'll see if I can get something to come out. But I'll also try the pliers method. Brute force I can do. Competent I apparently can't.

alpineaustralia

Pilotfish - I am certainly not advocating this as a method for dealing with it. I am only saying that is what I do. It may not be the most scientific method for dealing with the problem.

SubwayHypes

I have this exact same problem on my double track!!  No matter what i do sometimes it elevates just a tiny bit higher.  I was thinking about drilling it down a bit?

My locos get stuck too sometimes, also i had a 651 series that had one of the undercompartments get caught once!

I've only run into one piece of track that this happened to, but have since replaced it. Once the track is hard fastened down to the layout, it has not happened again.