TV program heads up- 7/6 7pm Fuji TV Yamanote Line

I think if you're fluent in Japanese, this show may be interesting to watch. I hope they include an extensive history of how they built up what became the loop line by 1925 and extensive modernizations done since then, including going to dedicated tracks by 1956, the impending opening of the Tōhoku Jūkan Line (which could dramatically affect ridership between Ueno and Shinagawa), and the development of a new station between Tamachi and Shingawa Stations.

I hope someone manages to record it and post it online for us all to enjoy it.

Watching it from the beginning and it's really interesting. Even for a Yamanote-line noob like me. They covered the history from 1909 to now roughly. It's ONLY about the Yamanote line and not about any other lines. I don't expect any other lines to receive much attention, other than just a mention of having connections to the Yamanote line.

I hope y'all be jelly!

Edited by Toni Babelony
bikkuri bahn

If posted, it would be pulled down pretty quickly due to copyright violations.  Here is an official preview clip, with the predictable quiz format with geinin.  Not my favorite format*, but usually you can get some good bits of info here and there as the program is two hours long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQJvOxPw-xI

*looks like alot of other people agree with me, judging by the large number of thumbs down :tongue5:

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1
bronzeonion

Someone could record and upload it to Youtube but have it as 'Unlisted' so only people with the URL can view it and the URL could be sent out via PM from someone on here.

Someone could record and upload it to Youtube but have it as 'Unlisted' so only people with the URL can view it and the URL could be sent out via PM from someone on here.

Sorry, I can't help you out on this one. No recording equipment here.

bronzeonion
Sorry, I can't help you out on this one. No recording equipment here.

Fair enough, i'm sure it will turn up on Youtube somewhere eventually

bikkuri bahn

Some trivia from the program:

Average number of complete trips (one revolution) a single trainset makes in a day: 13

The trainset depicted in the program had a longer day- 16 complete rounds of the loop taking 16hours and 46 minutes, a total running distance of 552km, or roughly the distance between Tokyo and Osaka.

In the peak AM hour (8am~) there are a total of 49 Yamanote Line trains running- 24 on the inner loop, and 25 on the outer.

The most crowded section on the Yamanote Line is the section between Ueno and Okachimachi, with trains at 200% capacity.  Actually one of the most interesting segments in this program involved this.  The TV program producers borrowed a whole trainset from Hokuso Railway (in Chiba) and got a bunch of volunteers to simulate 100%, 150%, 200% and 250% loads. For reference, 100% capacity is when all seats are occupied and all strap handholds on the train are claimed by the standing passengers.

*I figure about 60 min. of the two hour program was taken up by commercials and promos, and 20 minutes of quiz stuff, and 40 minutes of actual solid information.  So basically the same level of detail you would get in a TV Tokyo business documentary running for 40 minutes (60 min including commercial breaks), or a 30~40 min. NHK commercial-free documentary.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

I think right now, the most crowded part of the Yamanote Line during rush hour is from Ueno to Shinagawa--and that's with the parallel-running Keihin-Tōhoku Line between the two stations I mentioned. Hopefully, once the Tōhoku Jūkan Line opens, the overcrowding between Ueno and Shinagawa will no longer be a problem.