Looking for fellow Bay Area modelers

CaptOblivious

Although I am currently at sea, I also live in the area!  Perhaps a meet up could be organized later this year.

serotta1972

Hello fellow Bay Area Japanese Modellers, would love to meet up with folks and talk trains, especially Japanese trains. I know the coordination of time and place will be difficult but it's worth a try.

• Like 2

If you origanize a meeting in the middle of September (somewhere between 14th and 20th) I would attend also. :)

• Like 1
serotta1972

I will try to re-establish my relationship with the Bay Area N Trak Club in Crocket and see if we can hold a meet up there in September and run Japanese trains.  We have plenty of time to plan and set a date.  I think for a small donation or fee they will be open to us running trains on the layout.  They've always been very welcoming.  I will keep you all posted and updated.

-Junior

serotta1972

If you origanize a meeting in the middle of September (somewhere between 14th and 20th) I would attend also. :)

The show falls in between the dates you provided!  Would be great for you to attend!  Los Altos is about 40 minutes from San Francisco.

Hey, Everybody in the San Francisco Bay Area. I hope you all saw the announcement that serotta1972 and I (Railtunes) posted on the Platform 5 > Club and Show News > 7th Annual Train Day spot on this forum on 3 August. If you haven't seen it yet, check it out for details on the Los Altos Train Days show next month.

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/11829-7th-annual-train-day-los-altos-ca/

The dates worked out perfectly for those of you looking for a mid-September get together - even for IST visiting from Budapest!

We look forward to seeing you all there. And bring something to run.

The combined NTRAK and AsiaNRail layout will be available to you. NTRAK is great for the Shinkansen and bigger mainline passenger and freight trains while AsiaNRail is a branch line single track style layout, great for those little railcars, short MU sets and small steam and Diesel trains. That layout also provides some interesting routing possibilities so you can actually do some purposeful operation.

May I also suggest that we get together either Saturday or Sunday evening (after layout tear down) for dinner and a chance to get to know each other? Please contact me directly <pei@sonic.net> and let me know when you plan to attend the show and if you'd like to join us for one of the dinner options.

- Paul Ingraham.

Edited by cteno4
Added link

Hiya! I really need to get better at checking this forum! We should definitely do a Bay Area meet and greet! 

Thank you for checking out the blog! :)

BTW, nice blog and layout malcoJoJo! I've been a lurker and secretly admiring your work. Would be great to meet and see your work. Sorry, for sounding kinda creepy! Im uncomfortable writing this.

I can vouch for Junior (serotta1972). I've actually met him and can assure you he's not creepy at all, even though he has shown an interest in HO European stuff recently. ;))

Please do plan to join us at the Los Altos Train Days show next month. This could be considered our first Bay Area "Meet and Greet" get together, as you suggest.

I like your blog too!

- Paul Ingraham, AsiaNRail Coordinator

Malcolm,

You can follow this topic using the button on the top of this page. If you have turned on email notifications in your account settings, you should receive an email when new posts are made. Pretty convenient if you don't check the forum often! :)

• Like 2

Nice! Thank you, DENSHA. Super helpful. :)

Malcolm,

You can follow this topic using the button on the top of this page. If you have turned on email notifications in your account settings, you should receive an email when new posts are made. Pretty convenient if you don't check the forum often! :)

The show falls in between the dates you provided!  Would be great for you to attend!  Los Altos is about 40 minutes from San Francisco.

I will be there, or at least I try. At this moment I do not know on which day, it depends on other programs and the weather, but at least I have already checked how can I get there from San Francisco. Walking, train, walking. :)

serotta1972

Hello IST,

I'd be more than happy to give you a ride from SF and if you really insist on riding the train then I can pick you up from the train station. Let's coordinate.

-Junior

serotta1972

I can vouch for Junior (serotta1972). I've actually met him and can assure you he's not creepy at all, even though he has shown an interest in HO European stuff recently. ;))

Please do plan to join us at the Los Altos Train Days show next month. This could be considered our first Bay Area "Meet and Greet" get together, as you suggest.

I like your blog too!

- Paul Ingraham, AsiaNRail Coordinator

Thanks for vouching for me Paul.  :) When it comes to most things I'm pretty focused but when it comes to trains I'm pretty scattered.  

Ha! Cool.

I'm part of the MODEL RAIL RADIO group and I've had a few visitors in the past. Always good to get a heads up on the visitors before they arrive. ;)
I just had two folks from Australia visit a few weeks ago. I have a few weeks of hell post vacation to play out, but I'm sure we can arrange a meet-up in the near future! 

And, thanks for reading the blog! :)

Thanks for vouching for me Paul.  :) When it comes to most things I'm pretty focused but when it comes to trains I'm pretty scattered.  

Kiha66 and I may have found a meeting place for us and run trains too.  We took over the Crocket N-Trak Club today and Bob was very welcoming and gracious to let us run our trains on their layout. It just happened that there were 3 of us and there were 3 mainlines available. Very fun running the trains and even more so hanging out with folks with similar interest and Bob had some great stories.  

post-2776-0-57905800-1486876221_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-83815100-1486876224_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-08976000-1486876228_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-30105200-1486876232_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-42560400-1486876236_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-33833300-1486876240_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-87141900-1486876244_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-40323900-1486876249_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-12400100-1486876253_thumb.jpg

I had my 10 car 115 and 8 car Keikyu trains running and it was great seeing them run on an actual layout.  Kiha66 had his 15 car passenger train hauled by C62 and it looked right at home.  

• Like 3

Wow that looks like fun. I've always love how the Keikyu looks but haven't gotten around to getting a set. Great layout too!

Although I am just beginning to learn about Japan rail and rail modeling in general, I would be interested in future events. Crockett isn't that far away from where I live. :)

Kiha66 lives very close by so he'll be going there more often.  I live in SF so it's about a 30 minute drive without traffic.  They are open to visitors and welcome people to bring their own trains to run on Saturday and Wednesday mornings.  Bob said the club if you call it that is very informal and they all basically just go there to run trains, shoot the breeze and then go off and have lunch.  Oh I forgot to mention, the building is next to the railroad tracks so Amtrak and Union Pacific trains would go by every so often and they have a viewing window.

• Like 1

Hey that's great! Glad you guys found a meetup place like that. Ardesh (of trainaidsa.com) and i looked and looked for meetup places like that around here to no luck for various train folks.

Jeff

• Like 1

Awesome I will check them out! I'm in the Oakland Berkeley area so pretty convenient for me. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is great! I'll have to make a trip up to Crockett and join you guys, so keep me posted when you're planning to be there!

Also a reminder that we have an AsiaNRail layout setup coming up in April, 2017. We will be at the Hiller Aviation Museum in San Carlos for their annual Spring "Planes and Trains" show for the ENTIRE WEEK beginning with setup on Friday, April 7 and running from Saturday, April 8 through Saturday, April 15, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m every day. We'll probably have a connection to the Peninsula NTRAK layout through Brad Myer's Japanese hot springs module, and possibly an additional loop from one of the Freemo-N guys who models Japanese. I'm still working out the layout configuration details, but, with a WHOLE WEEK to have the layout set up, we can definitely use some people to run trains whenever they are available, especially on weekdays.

As I mentioned, Peninsula NTRAK will be there, as will Silicon Valley Freemo-N, so N scale will be well represented, along with G scale and Lionel. This is always a great show, focused on modeling (no sellers there) in a clean, well-lighted and secure place. And you get to see airplanes too!

Any Asian prototype N scalers are totally invited and welcome to join us and bring trains to run on the NTRAK layout for big, long and fast mainline trains and the AsiaNRail layout for those cuddly little branchline ones. Please let me know if you can join us for all or part of the show run so I can plan things better.

Also consider an after-show break down "Meet and Greet" dinner together at a Japanese (or other) restaurant nearby on Saturday evening, Aprll 16.

- Paul Ingraham, coordinator, AsiaNRail

Edited by Railtunes
  • Like 1