Japanese Train related toys?

JR 500系

I've got the first one - Autobot JRX / Rail Racer http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Rail_Racer_(RID)

It's Transformers, from the series called Car Robots in Japan and Robots in Disguise in the US.  The Japanese box set is the nicest version; the US version comes as 3 separate figures and the paint apps are simplified. 

The characters names in Japan are J-5, J7 and J4, combining to become JRX, while in the US, Railspike, Midnight Express and Rapid Run as Team Bullet Train combine to become Rail Racer.

More of a legendary status, the Transformers character RAIDEN http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Raiden is supremely cool.  First known as "Train Robo" during the 1980s before becoming part of the Japanese Transformers line in 1990 with the Headmasters series, RAIDEN comprises of  6 autobot trains in N-scale, that actually run on N-scale track.  Each train transforms into a robot and then merge to form RAIDEN.  Quite rare and difficult to get a hold of, RAIDEN was never released in the US.  I've seen it a few times, but never had enough money to get him for myself.

Edited by VJM

Thanks VJM!

i've been surfing the net to find more information, and here's a review on the set by youtube user balmatrix, that does lotsa Transformers review on sets:

The lengendary Raiden! I can see the 100 series, 200 series, EF-66, series 485, series 115 and DE-10 locomotive? Wow you mean they can actually run on n scale tracks? That's cool!

Here's a review on the Rail Racer, also by balmatrix:

Nice!

Edited by JR500 のぞみ

Do you mind me posting some stuff I have here? Some of it isn't really toys but there doesn't seem to be anywhere else to put it.

Do you mind me posting some stuff I have here? Some of it isn't really toys but there doesn't seem to be anywhere else to put it.

You mean transformers? or trains? Anyhow, please go ahead! Pictures are always welcomed~~

There doesn't seem to be just a thread for general merchandise but I do have a small handful of train related stuff that isn't related to models or anything.

Tdt1tZA.png

Oh I forgot these video games too.

wpZOafW.png

Edited by Keikyu
Martijn Meerts

Oooh.. Transformers.. The first anime I ever watched, before even realising it was an anime.. For some reason I always thought it was a French cartoon :)

I still have a generation 1 Optimus Prime, although unfortunately he's damaged after my nephew played with it. Also had all the stunticons, but 1 of them seems to be missing.. 

I would love some high quality, high detail transformers kits, would be hard to make them transformable, but even a Bandai Gundam quality kit of the robot modes would be cool to build :)

A friend of mine also had Metroplex, he was HUGE :)

Keikyu, what's that Hankyu 9000 series cab? Looks interesting.

They are alarm clocks. When they go off they play train noises and stuff.

I have a video of myself going through what they do on Youtube but my voice is weird.

Could you share the video Keikyu? Interested to know how the sounds are when they go off for the Hankyu cab...

Let me guess, you like Hankyu, don't you? The cabs and the games and all... Speaking of which, are those discs games or are they videos to watch? Haven't seen Initial D with trains before! Mighty interesting...

What's that 300 series head for by the way?

I can't find the video I had of it so I took another, unfortunately despite my phone being fairly high-end and praised for it's camera, it records sound awfully and it is really quiet and cuts out. I can't afford a good camera at the moment. And at the end when I look at the ceiling, it's because the clock has a kind of red led display which puts the time up on the ceiling. it didn't show up much because it was daylight.

I love Hankyu, probably my favorite private railroad along with Odakyu and Keikyu.

And the dvd cases are indeed games. They are doujin games called "Densha De D". They follow the story of Initial D fairly accurately except it's all done in trains, but it originally started out as a manga. This is the first level in the first game:

The 300 and 181 are Choro Q trains.

1wCyeyx.png

Edited by Keikyu
  • Like 1

Hi Keikyu!

Nice alarm clock! Nice of you to take another video! Would be nice to wake up to a lovely train tune each morning... Wish there was a Shinkansen version?

I've not rode on the Hankyu before, but i kinda like the marone red on all the train... Lovely colour.

I can't believe the Densha De D!! Really! An exact replica?? They even have commendatory for the trains! Is it sponsored by Kato? I remember Takumi saying something like Kato 223-1000 in the begining... I believe they're racing Hankyu 2000 and 8500 series trains? The two lines drift is a classic!!! 160km/h! Even faster than the Thunderbird/ Super Azusa!

That's alright, taking the video wasn't a problem. Just wish I had a more professional camera or my phone was better. And waking up to train noises is nice, it's getting up after it stops that is difficult  :)

Saying it's an exact replica might be a bit of a stretch. The racing certainly follows the story but in Initial D Takumi's first race is for a full tank of gas. Considering his train is electric, that would be difficult, and it appears in this his dad owns a model shop so it makes sense.

It's really quite fun, 3 games so far and a fourth coming fairly soon. But as for a replica it certainly comes as close as it can. You have races against Keisuke and Ryosuke, Takashi Nakazato, Kyoichi Sudo and Ken Kogashiwa. It's pretty good, and well made.

http://ec.akgb.jp/category/select/cid/327/pid/10755

That site sells the games, it's a bit tricky to get them running on English computers  though.

Edited by Keikyu
Thanks VJM!

i've been surfing the net to find more information, and here's a review on the set by youtube user balmatrix, that does lotsa Transformers review on sets:

The lengendary Raiden! I can see the 100 series, 200 series, EF-66, series 485, series 115 and DE-10 locomotive? Wow you mean they can actually run on n scale tracks? That's cool!

Here's a review on the Rail Racer, also by balmatrix:

Nice!

This is really interesting.

ha thats funny there was one of these up on ebay last week an i was going to post it and got distracted... i have the 200 somewhere lurking around the office.

jeff

I actually have Midnight Express from the Rail Racer team, he has a really nice vehicle mode and I wish I had the other two.

The newest Japanese Super Sentai series is train themed and the Megazord certainly is interesting, though I'm not sure if the toy design is any good:

LfygFdr.jpg

There's also the train from Kamen Rider Den-O which has a model and in the show it can travel through time:

bfwKfCp.jpg

I wish I could get a hold of those Densha De D games, but alas my cash is tight...ah well.

Edited by Zeether