Martijn Meerts

H0e forest railways with H0 branch line

Martijn Meerts

Minor update... The part I sent to RG-Rokko to get replaced by World Kougei finally arrived at RG-Rokko last weekend. All in all it took almost a month to get there. RG-Rokko sent it on to World Kougei immediately, and to my surprise, only a few days later I got an email from RG-Rokko saying they had received the new parts from World Kougei already, including a note apologising for the wrong part being included in the first place. Remember, this is a 5 year year old kit for which spare parts no longer existed. On top of that, I didn't buy it at RG-Rokko, but they were happy to help anyway. Gotta love Japanese service 🙂

Since RG-Rokko will need to send back the parts to me, I figured I might as well check if there are some other items I want. Since I only have 1 H0e locomotive and only a few cars, I decided to order World Kougei's Shizuoka Railway B15 tank loco, a World Kougei tank car, and various kits by Toma Model Works, such as some box cars, open cars (both brass) and a plastic kit of some log carrying cars.

In the meantime I added the final detail parts to the body of the Hokutan #2, as well as some additional custom details bits I noticed were present on the prototype. I also went over it with a glass fiber brush, so now it's just a matter of running it through the ultrasonic cleaner, add the metal prep, and then prime it. The 3D printed cab interior details I'll likely install after painting the rest of the body.

I also added my custom 3D printed axle boxes to the WaFu22000 frame using some epoxy. I'll go over it with the glass fiber brush later today, and prepare that for priming as well. The axle boxes have some small holes drilled into them where I will install small brass cups for power pickup, which was the reason I made custom axles boxes, since the kit did come with white metal axle boxes.

• Like 2

hide7072001

Nice to meet you

I am Hide, a newcomer to this forum.

If you have already ordered Shizuoka Railway B15, it is unavoidable

but I think this Imon's Kiso C-type Porter is more suitable to be added to your Kiso Baldwin.

It fits chronologically, and affectionate fire-prone chimney is same : )

imon.co.jp/webshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=130091&w=332&x=100&y=0&from=mk

More than that, you can expect more stable running with this loco that uses Imon's larger motor.

Hide  

• Like 1

Martijn Meerts

Hi, and welcome to the forum 🙂

I have already ordered the B15, but I will definitely be ordering more locomotives eventually. IMON's C-type Porter looks like a great locomotive, so I'll add it to my wish list. What I don't like about it, is that the motor is very visible in the cab.

For (hopefully) smooth running, I will be using an ESU Lokpilot Micro DCC decoder with the ESU Power pack mini capacitor.

This project is not prototypical, it's a fictional forest and mining railway. I buy the trains based on how much I like the look of them, so I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of strange combinations 😄

hide7072001
Posted (edited)

If the loco is painted black, the motor is not so noticeable.

0000019.jpg

This is IMON's Senpoku No.3 C Porter (Prototype specification) SF, a finished product, I bought with my poor bonus😪

What people think is same🙂

0000020.jpg

The ESU Power pack mini capacitor is bigger than expected.

I want to create a Layout in HOe and HOj blanch line, simulating the relationship between SR&RL and M.C.

in Japanese style🙂

Hide

Edited by hide7072001
photo
  • Like 2

Martijn Meerts

It definitely looks good painted, the motor almost looks like it's part of the interior of the cab.

The power pack is definitely quite big. It doesn't fit without adjusting. What I'm doing for both the Hokutan #2, as well as the Baldwin, is remote the capacitor from the circuit board. I can then hide the capacitor in the boiler / smoke box and run some wires from the capacitor to the circuit board. In case of the Hokutan #2, I can hide the circuit board in 1 of the water tanks. The decoder will go into the other water tank. ESU did release a new version of the power pack as well, where the circuit board is slightly smaller, but the capacitor is still the same size.

My idea is a branch line operated by JNR, that's seeing quite a lot of traffic, so it's in the process of being turned into a main line. That way I can run some of the bigger locomotives, since I really want a C55 at some point. The narrow gauge line is a fictional company, inspired by both Japanese and American narrow gauge forest and mining lines.

Of course, due to being very busy with work, progress is really slow, but I'll get there eventually 🙂

Martijn Meerts

Yep, it's quite an expensive project 😄

Martijn Meerts

Not much news, work has kept me busy the past weekends and most evenings.

Still waiting for a reply from RG-Rokko about some of the Toma Model Works items I ordered. RG-Rokko had most of them in stock, but were missing 2 items. The inquired with Toma Model Works to see if they still have them in stock. I also asked them to check which wheel sets I need for the WaFu22000. I had ordered some before, but they were the wrong ones. Unfortunately, World Kougei doesn't list an item number, but just a general description. I ended up with a set of wheels that are probably meant to convert a 16.5mm gauge car to a 12mm gauge one. 

In the meantime I've been going through a lot of old ballast, sand, trees, bushes, ground cover, etc. A lot of that stuff is many years old, and really doesn't look good, so I'm getting rid of that. The stuff I want to keep, I'm storing in some transparent plastic jars rather than in the opaque plastic boxes it's in now. Slowly working towards a more organised hobby room. I'm also looking into cutting the Minitrix layout I have in the garage into sections, so I can move that up to the hobby room. I want to strengthen the frame a bit, and then install some digital components. Short term I can use it to run some trains, long term I'm not sure what to do with it. It's the last layout my father worked on, so I don't really want to take it apart. On the other hand, it uses the tight Minitrix curves, so most Japanese trains won't run on it.

Finally, been working quite a bit on the model train database project again. Much of the database and API is done, and I'm working on a fairly basic UI now. While I did get this far before with the project before the rewrite, I'm much happier with how it looks now, both the overal look, as well as the code. I'm hoping to have an early testable version done sometime in the next month or so.

roadstar_na6
44 minutes ago, Martijn Meerts said:

Still waiting for a reply from RG-Rokko

Message them on Instagram or Facebook, you might get a reply then 😉

Martijn Meerts

They'll get back to me when they know more, they're good at communicating. Besides, they have around 45k yen worth of items waiting to go my way, so I doubt they forgot 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Martijn Meerts

In my pursuit to find a good way to paint the wooden sleepers, I came across a site that used "Dye-na-flow" textile dyes to colour not only wood, but also plastic. Interestingly, on plastic they used white gesso as primer, which is what I've been trying to use to prime the pcboard sleepers used to build the turnouts. The results looked really convincing, so I decided to have a look if I could find something similar. To my surprise, I found a shop in the Netherlands that not only sells the "Dye-na-flow" dye, but also has dye powder/pigments which you can mix with water or alcohol to create your own dyes. Ended up ordering white, black, brown and burnt umber Dye-na-flow, as well as black and brown basic dye (the powder version). They arrived earlier today, so I'll do a little experimenting soon.

Also, my newest order from RG-Rokko, including the spare parts for the Hokutan #2 drive rods was shipped, and should be arriving tomorrow. Included in that package are a couple of H0e Toma Model Works kits, quite interested in their quality.

Finally, I've started looking into the IMON ToRa6000 and WaMu50000 kit. I've started doing some measurements and quick research into turning those into true 12mm gauge cars, as in, make sure the undercarriage looks like it was made for 12mm gauge, rather than 16.5mm gauge. This means doing some custom 3D printed bits and some fairly minor adjustments to the existing kits. Just waiting for the WaFu22000's wheels to arrive, since those will be my template for the ToRa6000 and WaMu50000.

Martijn Meerts

And here's a quick test of the Dye-na-flow brown. I'm already quite happy with these results.

large.dye-na-flow-brown-test.jpg

The experiment was basically putting a little bit of the dye in a small cup, inserting a couple of sleepers, and then leave them in for various periods of time. Interestingly, the sleepers were only submerged in the dye for about 1 to 1.5 cm (they're around 6cm give or take) but the wood sucked up the dye pretty well. 

The image shows sleepers that were submerged for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 10 minutes, but there's no way to tell the difference. I checked the penetration of the dye into the wood, and it's pretty much the same for all of them, and definitely better than previous dyes I tried. I did run some sand paper over these after dyeing, hence why some are nearly blank again.

I might try a mix of brown with a little burnt umber for a very slight red-ish hue, possible also some white to dull it down a little bit, but I do think these are pretty usable as is.

I also need to try brushing the dye on instead of dipping the sleepers in the dye, although dipping them is a lot quicker of course 🙂

• Like 3

Martijn Meerts

The 13 ton Shay kit by Toma Model Works came in. I got both the frame kit and the body shell kit. I've not had a good look at them, just took the various bags with parts out of the box to give them a quick look. Most parts are 3D printed using a resin printer. Some quick inspection of some of the parts would suggest it's done on a very high quality printer, a lot of the parts can be used almost as is, with just some very minor sanding.

large.H0e-Shay-01-frame-parts.jpg

This is the frame kit. It comes with everything needed to build a rolling frame. Of course all the gear come as separate bits, so they'll need to be glued onto the axles. This can be a little bit annoying, but epoxy tends to do the trick 🙂 There's quite a lot of tiny moving parts and various gears to make sure the pistons on the side of the loco move. There's actually more parts than I expected, especially since I thought the motorised bogie was pre-assembled. I'll need to find some good glue for resin to resin and resin to metal I guess.

large.H0e-Shay-02-shell-parts.jpg

This is the shell kit, obviously a lot less parts. The boiler and much of the boiler details are all printed as 1 piece. Some of the detail on the boilers looks really rather fragile, so I'll need to be extra careful. I did also order a really small finishing file from Toma Model Works as well, which you can insert into a pin vise, so that should give some pretty good control when working on the boiler. Interestingly, they actually gave me the file for free 🙂

It'll be interesting building this thing, I think it's going to be quite a bit more complicated than I initially thought it would be ...

Edit: Forgot to mention the building instructions. They don't come with the kit, but there's a URL / QR code on the boxes where you can download a PDF. Instructions are actually really quite detailed, and the ones for the frame also have English texts. The shell is Japanese only, but it'll probably get English texts at some point as well, they frame's been available longer than the shell, so more time has likely been spent on the manual.

• Like 1