Krackel Hopper's HCD Layout

Krackel Hopper

Krackel Hopper

After several debates on size, portability, functions, features.. I think I've finally found a "Starter layout" for myself.  I still intend to work a modular layout (modified T-trak) but in the meanwhile, this layout design will give me some scenery practice and provide me with a layout for running trains while I continue to debate the best method for my modular design.

It's a modified version of a layout on Kato's website.

http://www.kato-unitrack.co.uk/images/Kato_Track/layout_301.jpg

I tightened the curves a bit, 348/315 to 315/282 to provide longer straights as well as providing room for a longer staging yard.  The yard from the Kato plans will hold 2 - 4 car trainsets, my design will house 4 - 7 car consists.

It's a generic themed layout.

Looking at the plans from the bottom up, there are two tracks in the staging yard and then a space, followed by four tracks.  I will be using Kato's Rural Station and Rural Station Platforms (23-220/23-130) to make a station area from the bottom tracks.  I'll be using Kato's Rural Freight (23-221) to place a warehouse and freight platform on the top track in the yard.

I plan on using Kato Diotown "Shops of Traditional Eaves" (as HS lists them) to stick with the wooden building design.  I still need to purchase the Kato post office (23-454B), freight forwarding office (23-457B), & community center (23-455) to go with the buildings I currently own.

I've attached a photo of the track plan, and one (not to scale) with some MS paint drawings of roughly where the station/platforms/freight warehouse and roads will be.

Track is setup on a 30x80 hollow core door, and my design has the track about 2" in from all sides.. so I do not have any more room to expand in length or depth.

Track plan is not set in stone, but I won't be purchasing extra track for the layout.. so if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I'd be glad to listen.

Jon

post-180-0-25913900-1370204998_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-79849800-1370205009_thumb.jpg

Martijn Meerts

Looks quite good.. I usually dislike track plans of small layouts because they seem so limited, but seeing the actual layout with a few buildings immediately gives you a completely different view :)

My first N-scale layout was a double-oval like that with a yard in the middle (actually two yards, for a passenger storage yard with long tracks and a short freight yard on either side of the entry track). The only thing I did different was put the stations on the oval, front and rear, as through stations with sidings (four tracks total, main and siding on each side).  It provided me several years of enjoyment.

But I like the terminal yard in the middle.  That looks like it will make for some interesting operations, and the way it's angled avoids the usual cliche of all the tracks being parallel.