Tokyu 8500 motor sound

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Nothing unusual or newsworthy here.  Just my favorite Kanto region rolling stock (since the retirement of the Keikyu 1000 series).  I love how when worked, the traction motors on these units almost sound automotive- going away, it sounds like a racecar. Also, motor driving units with pantographs are "boss"!

Express bound for Chuo Rinkan passing through Tsukushino:

Accelerating from a stop (at Fujigaoka Station).  Hear that sublime chopper whine, signature Tokyu, and also common on the Toyoko Line when the 8000 series were in their prime, before the beer cans took over (first train in the series):

same location, some knarly traction roar towards the end there:

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 5

Aaah, great sound! It reminds me of the awesome sound old JNR trains make when running at full power. It's that roaring noise from the traction motors, which gives these older trains such ambiance.

Nick_Burman

The first-generation Nagoya metro trains made a similar sound. It made them look very fierce when moving at speed, especially when running in express service on the Meitetsu.

Cheers NB

bikkuri bahn
The first-generation Nagoya metro trains made a similar sound. It made them look very fierce when moving at speed, especially when running in express service on the Meitetsu.

Cheers NB

Would that be the 3000 series?  They are contemporary with Tokyu's 8500. Both are chopper control, but the 3000's have a different sound on starting though (different maker- Hitachi), nice traction sound on start-up though:

@Iwakura Sta. on the Inuyama Line

Edited by bikkuri bahn
Nick_Burman
Would that be the 3000 series?  They are contemporary with Tokyu's 8500. Both are chopper control, but the 3000's have a different sound on starting though (different maker- Hitachi), nice traction sound on start-up though:

@Iwakura Sta. on the Inuyama Line

Yep, it's them... a short cab ride:

Cheers NB