Small station - Kato 23-210 and Greenmax 27 (now 2130)

These two stations, the Kato 23-210 built-up and the old Greenmax 27 (now  Greenmax 2130) kit represent a distinctive type of train station found on private railways and sometimes even JR East in large urban areas.

The Kato tag line used by dealers is' "It is a modern type of ground station building, which is common in the cities and suburbs and private railway main trunk."

This style of station usually consists of a semi-open head house with ticket vending machines and fare gates (or ticket sales windows and ticket chopper positions in the old days), steps up to a short covered platform and a short open platform section.

Some private railway stations are built with separate entrances for each platform.  There examples of this on the Tokyu, Hankyu and Nankai.  Here are a few examples. First a wooden version on the Tokyu with fare gates, ticket vending machines, ordinary vending machines  and stairs up to the platform,

Tokyu Yaguchi-no-watshi Station  

Now a more modern version that has the same functions as above.  

Tokyu Shimomaruko Station

The Kato version has stickers for Ikegami (on the Tokyu), Shimibashi (a majorTokyo station) and Hashiue (which I can't find).

On the major private railways where these stations are most common, there are usually platforms on each either side of a double track main line.  Examples are Tokyu Ikegami line, Tokyu Tamagawa line, Hankyu Itami line, Hankyu Kyoto line (at Minamikata) and the Nanaki Main Line.

In some cases, the old entrance on one side has been supplemented by a modern addition to the other platform.  This is on the Nankai. It might be because traffic volume grew or it replaces an in-station level crossing between platforms.

It is hard to find video of station entrances, but I did come up with a couple.

Here is a single track version on the Enoden, but single track is much rarer than double track with platforms on each side of the tracks. 

Most interesting of all is the Showa station on the JR East Tsurumi Line.  This station has limited service on weekdays and weekends mainly during the morning and evening.  Although part of JR East this once was a private railway - the Tsurumi Port Railway until nationalized by JNR 1 July 1943. Today the line uses 3-car Series 205 trains.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 2
bikkuri bahn

The Kato version has stickers for Ikegami (on the Tokyu), Shimibashi (a majorTokyo station) and Hashiue (which I can't find).

I think Kato intended some of those place names to be a play on words. The alternate reading for "Ikegami" is "chijou" (ground level) and for "Hashiue" is "kyoujou" (above ground, elevated). Perhaps this is a generic set that also goes with other station kits. BTW, I envy the prices- 620 yen for a station kit (if available) would be unheard of in HO- think quadruple the price (at least).

Edited by bikkuri bahn
I think Kato intended some of those place names to be a play on words. The alternate reading for "Ikegami" is "chijou" (ground level) and for "Hashiue" is "kyoujou" (above ground, elevated). Perhaps this is a generic set that also goes with other station kits. BTW, I envy the prices- 620 yen for a station kit (if available) would be unheard of in HO- think quadruple the price (at least).

That makes sense.  I usually see stations referred generically as ground station or bridge station. I agree on the price.   :)