A new viaduct station?

macdon

Mardon,

very interesting! not seen ArtDM before! some interesting buildings. price on buildings is not bad. they need some floors in them to finish them off, but thats easy. Wonder if anyone exports them? i dropped them an email to see if they ship to the us or have an exporter.

with only the one station section its good for a couple of cars, good for a light rail. from the 338mm length it looks like its set up to take tomix viaduct thru it but they show it with kato viaduct! since the viaduct goes thru it i guess the length does not matter. width would though so looks like its built for kato viaduct.

nice interior details.

there is a small and unique model rr industry in korea, just dont hear much of it from the outside usually. 

good find! thanks

jeff

I think it may be tipping the pricey scale at US$66.50, dont you think?

It got some nice details though. Just too bad its short as they could've made it similar with Kato by offering expansion units.

One observation thou - the center canal is deep to accept a kato viaduct track system and the platforms do clear the viaduct walls, wouldnt that be a bit high? 

They do have some other structures that seems good for kit-bash projects.

Mardon

I think it may be tipping the pricey scale at US$66.50, dont you think?

It got some nice details though. Just too bad its short as they could've made it similar with Kato by offering expansion units.

One observation thou - the center canal is deep to accept a kato viaduct track system and the platforms do clear the viaduct walls, wouldnt that be a bit high? 

For a low-volume specialty product the price isn't unreasonable, but I agree that a station that's only 338 mm long isn't very useful for the kind of line it's intended to model.

I also share your concerns about he height.  Although they show the car doors at platform height, there's something wrong about that. Sticking a Greenmax train I had handy on a length of Kato viaduct put the bottom of the doors below the wall height, which means the platform would end up about halfway up the windows.  Perhaps they're using some other viaduct (Tomix?) with lower walls, but it sure looks like Kato to me.

It's a great concept though, and the look is excellent.

yeah i was suspicious of the height with the viaduct wall there as well! sure looks like kato viaduct though and if it is kato then tomix wont fit, it would be too wide as the kato looks to take up all the space.

price is a bit high, but interesting idea. 

the other buildings seem a more reasonable price. no answer to my email yet. will be interesting to see if anyone does answer.

jeff

For a low-volume specialty product the price isn't unreasonable, but I agree that a station that's only 338 mm long isn't very useful for the kind of line it's intended to model.

I also share your concerns about he height.  Although they show the car doors at platform height, there's something wrong about that. Sticking a Greenmax train I had handy on a length of Kato viaduct put the bottom of the doors below the wall height, which means the platform would end up about halfway up the windows.  Perhaps they're using some other viaduct (Tomix?) with lower walls, but it sure looks like Kato to me.

It's a great concept though, and the look is excellent.

I think its just the way they took the pics - from above at an angle, so it gives the illusion that the platform seems level to the bottom of the doors.

The 2nd to the last pic do show the platform a bit high.

Mardon

yeah i think you are right, you can really mess with things with camera angles like that. you could always cheat by taking out the slab track portion of the rail to adjust to the right height w/o the viaduct walls or cut them down on a couple of viaduct sections, but then the height would be too low so you would need to raise the station.

too bad they didnt make it a tad longer at like 390. then you could have had two pockets at either end for the viaduct with walls to rest in and then a flat spot for a piece of 248 and 124 viaduct with the walls/base removed and just the slab track thru the station and the platform at the right height. but i guess too much fiddling with that. this way you can just plunk the station where ever on your viaduct. it looks like their line of stuff is for rapid on the floor model rr which this concept works fine for.

jeff

Since I model Korean N scale (to a small degree, along with my Taiwan and other Asian N scale stuff), I was also interested in what Art DM (Art Design Models) is offering. I don't model urban, but I did purchase their Jinhae station model, some of the fencing and the Korean military tank model about a year ago to see what they were like.

The station model is all laser cut acrylic sheet and the parts are very clean and strong with no bowing or warping, and fit together perfectly. The tank, a true modern Korean type, is a very clean resin casting, with the turret separate so it can be mounted to turn, if desired. 

At the time I purchased these, the models were available as kits at lower prices, but the company informed me that, in future - which is now - they are going to offer only assembled models. That may account for the higher prices. Also, you should note that the N scale model line is only a small part of their business. They are mainly a provider of bespoke architectural and technical models, so they are probably more accustomed to that tier of pricing.

All that being said, I am able to get things from them through Korean friends who can ship direct from Korea. I also will be going to Korea in June 2015 and will try to see if I can visit their showrooms while there. 

I don't know if the elevated station has an exact prototype, but I can confirm that the model was designed to be used with the Kato Unitrack V13 double track viaduct set and can be expanded using the double track straight viaduct sections.

And, for those interested in the Jinhae station prototype, this is a small resort town in the south of South Korea, known for its cherry blossom festival in the Spring (Google Jinhae for great photos). The adjacent station to Jinhae is renown for the arch of cherry trees through which the train passes approaching the station - or did, as I believe the line has been rerouted around the town now.

The high rise apartment buildings in the ArtDM model range are also from Jinhae and can be seen in a number of the station area photos on various websites.

And for those of you planning to attend the 2015 NMRA National Convention in Portland, Oregon next August, I plan to have part of the AsiaNRail layout on display in the Train Show. I will also be giving a clinic on modeling Asian N scale as part of the convention program and hope to have not only samples of the ubiquitous Japanese prototype range on show, but also some of my Taiwanese, Korean, and Chinese N scale models and modules included in the presentation and in the layout.

Meanwhile, if you would like me to try to get any of the ArtDM stuff for you, let me know.

- Paul Ingraham, Coordinator

AsiaNRail N Scale Modular Group

Kind of off-topic, but living in Japan it's like the rest of Asia doesn't exist as far as N-gauge/model trains go. Having poked around in a whole lot of model shops recently I see the odd bit of American and European stuff but *never* anything from Taiwan, Korea, China etc.

Out of curiosity, have you got any links to sites which show non-Japanese Asian stuff?

Good find Mardon! The station looks neat with the details, but too bad they can't be jointed together with multiple sets to lengthen it without looking like a station with multiple entrances... Add in some LEDs to light them up and it'll look perfect!

Thinking of some of its buildings too, hope to see if we can order from them. Also, shipping costs would be lower than that of Japan, as Sillypore ships in tons of clothing and other stuff from Korea at quite a reasonable rate, hence the lower price tag on these products, as compared to Japanese ones...

I'd be interested in modeling some Korean n scale as well, but have no idea where to start. Are there any websites or online retailers you'd recommend for picking up Korean n scale trains or structures?

I've started working on the presentation "Modeling Asian Railways in N scale" for the Portland, Oregon NMRA convention next August. As part of that, I'll have a handout with some basic information on sources, manufacturers and possible kitbash projects using available motive power and rolling stock of Japanese, European and North American prototypes to model various Asian railways. Be forewarned! that, while I will certainly recognize Japan, since Japan is so well covered in both prototype and model (I note this and other English language fora, as well as lots of prototype websites, as examples), the focus of the presentation will be on the less-modeled countries and how to approach modeling them. I will probably be able to post that document on this forum when it's ready - or perhaps better, after the convention when I can update it, based on comments and questions I get at the presentation.

In developing this presentation, I'd very much appreciate any input at this point about which railway systems interest forum members and what aspects of these (motive power, rolling stock, structures, scenery, period/era) are of most interest. Please let me know what intrigues you and how you would approach such projects, e.g., you only or mainly interested in ready-to-run models, you're willing to do moderate detailing and repainting, interested in scratchbuilding, including 3D printing to make models, building structures from kits or scratch, would like to do a module or layout of these railways, etc. This will help immensely in shaping the focus of the presentation.

Thanks to all of you who share these interests. If you're in Portland for the convention, be sure to track me down for a chat!

- Paul Ingraham, Coordinator, AsiaNRail