Platforms for a (one-off) viaduct station

macdon

On 5/24/2013 at 6:24 AM, KenS said:

The surface of these platforms is really a work of art, with detail that can't be seen directly from a distance but still creates a very different appearance from a distance.  You might want to buy one, and photograph/scan it if you plan a scratch-built platform.

The tiles on the pale yellow center portion are square, and there are 10 across the platform in 26mm, so 2.6mm each including the gap between them. These have a very faint texture to them, to keep them from looking slick.

These tiles are separated from the yellow line tiles by a single row of small tiles 1.5mm square (also pale yellow). The yellow line is actually a separate plastic part (actually two on each side of 124 mm length) that can be unsnapped.  These fit in a slot 2mm wide, but the square tiles are about 1.8mm wide. These both have a more substantial pattern on them. The yellow tiles have the most obvious pattern: a 4x4 (I think, its at the limit of my vision) grid of dots to represent the raised bumps used to allow vision-impaired persons to detect that this strip is different from ordinary flooring.

Finally, the outer edge is a set of rectangles with a pattern of stripes parallel to the platform edge, each rectangle 4mm x 3mm (long axis towards the platform edge).

Total platform width is 41mm at the base (to fit between the tracks) and 42mm at the platform surface.  Height is 14.5mm.

Edit: fixed a minor omission.

Ken, is the 14.5mm the overall height for a Shinkansen platform with Unitrack? I need three platforms just under 2m long and using Kato platforms it’ll be expensive so I’m thinking of making them from strips of wood 40mm wide wrapped in grey paper or brick paper with a 42mm Plasticard top.
I’m not near my trains at the moment to be able to measure the correct height needed.

Thanks in advance