Platforms for a (one-off) viaduct station

macdon

I just replied to a PM on this, but the answer's probably of wider interest: 60mm (2 3/8") from table top to the base of the unitrack snapped into the viaduct).

Much appreciated Ken - thank you!

Mardon

I got platforms. 1240mm long x 2.

Its a long decal in sintra board. We placed some texture on the yellow line as well as to the concrete nosing ......... but its hardly seen from a distance.

Each tile is about 18" square tile in actual scale.

IMG_1032_zps16d00bc6.jpg

Could anybody give me the footprint measurement of an island platform stairs?  The only one I have here is the platform with a kiosk, not the one with the stairs.

Thanks much!

Mardon

• Like 1

mardon,

as my old physics prof homer (yes homer and way pre simpsons) bosserman would say Wayyy good! syntra is great stuff to work with, i really like it. are all the lines decal or just the yellow? or iare the lines score marks or texture already in the syntra?

the stairway foot print is 37mm x 20mm

cheers

jeff

mardon,

as my old physics prof homer (yes homer and way pre simpsons) bosserman would say Wayyy good! syntra is great stuff to work with, i really like it. are all the lines decal or just the yellow? or iare the lines score marks or texture already in the syntra?

the stairway foot print is 37mm x 20mm

cheers

jeff

Everything is just a decal made via photoshop and printed by a Roland printer. Decal was wrapped around the sintra board.

The nearby printshop here made some effects with the squares to look like tiles (embossed).

Thanks for the measurements bud!

Mardon

Mardon,

Wow that came out great! Really at n scale stuff like tile lines are so tiny in relief that its barely a scratch, so doing a visual effect will give the mind's eye the right idea w/o doing a groove that would be 6" deep scale!

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
Mardon,

Wow that came out great! Really at n scale stuff like tile lines are so tiny in relief that its barely a scratch, so doing a visual effect will give the mind's eye the right idea w/o doing a groove that would be 6" deep scale!

Cheers

Jeff

Its them computer magic via photoshop. The guy did one, then two, then four, then eight - basically just copies what he's done and paste to form a row. When the single row is done, he copies the whole row and brings it down to multiply again. It took him less than 10minutes to do the thing.

I actually came in the shop just to have a pdf of a paper model laser printed in matte photo paper and while waiting - we kinda just started talking about the platform idea I had. 

Frankly, that got me more excited than the paper model printing which I came for in the first place.....Lol!

Mardon

Fiberglass stairs added to the platform. I did the stairs out of card and had my workers mold it so we could produce 4 copies.

Mardon

IMG_1057_zpsee70bc0c.jpg

IMG_1058_zpse1631363.jpg

Hey guys,

Does anyone have the Kato 23-118 Platform Accessory Set and could possibly give me the footprint measurements of the 3 structures in the set?

I would like to check if i could integrate them to my platform before ordering 2 sets.

Thanks!

Mardon

you're not kidding Martijn, you should see his 1/12 scale stuff! his workers must be laughing at the boss's 1/150 tiny things!

jeff

Lol! Its actually 1/6 scale Jeff.

Here's sample:

I had some xtra kato bogies awhile back so I made koki cars via fiberglass. Not really practical as the bogies costs $3 a pair/per car while you can easily get a koki for $4 with containers to boot via loco1. But I wanted to experiment, so I made one from card and had my workers mold it. I didnt had the pulled products cleaned to give a "distressed" look. I placed bondo on top and hand painted it burnt sienna. It has some weight to it and surprisingly were good runners as well. Will serve as track fillers, I guess.

IMG_0983_zpsc35a8467.jpg

IMG_0985_zps6ec23d20.jpg

IMG_0986_zpsbef64c68.jpg

IMG_0988_zps04c697e4.jpg

IMG_0990_zps43c56507.jpg

Mardon

Fantastic stuff Mardon!

Great modeller you are!

Can i order some of custom made items from you neighbour? Keke just kidding ~

Sorry i do not have the Kato 23-118 platform accessory set, or if not i could have measured them for you... I couldn't locate any info on their dimensions all over the web too, although i would also like to have them on my platform~

Hey guys, Does anyone have the Kato 23-118 Platform Accessory Set and could possibly give me the footprint measurements of the 3 structures in the set? I would like to check if i could integrate them to my platform before ordering 2 sets. Thanks! Mardon

There are actually four structures in the set.  In the following, "width" runs along the platform. I've included a standard platform in the photo as a size comparison.

1. large brown waiting area - 21 mm w x 82 mm l (base) x 26 mm h

This has a slightly wider flange near the top (maybe 1mm) and signboards on both sides at one end that stick out about 3.5 mm ea. The interior is mostly featureless, with some bumps inside the windows that might be intended to imply seat backs.

2. large beige store - 21 mm w x 82 mm l (all, no extra stuff) x 20 mm h (main body), 23 mm high (part) plus some bumps that stick up a couple more mm

This has even less of an interior, and from the photo stickers go on the windows to suggest shelving.

3. beige newsstand kiosk - 20mm w (f-r) x 24 mm l (side to side), 20 mm h (plus a couple of 1mm bumps

4.  15 mm w x 21 mm l x 22 mm h

This is a "go down" elevator inside a transparent plastic cube with a small base of the same size (include in above measurements). The top of the cube is transparent, but shows obvious mold marks (I'd paint it it it wasn't under an awning.

The set also includes two sprues (identical), each containing four sets of things that hang down from the platform awning (I think they might be starting signals) plus two things that go at the end of the platforms on the ground, that look like signal masts with ladders, and a couple of other posts I can't figure out.

The weird thing about these is that they have pins on the bottom that don't match the holes in the platforms they're nominally for.  My best guess is that you're suppose to cut some off, and it can fit different platforms or different positions on the platforms depending on how you do that, but I can't make out the instructions.  I didn't include the pins in the above dimensions.

post-228-0-71033100-1371792489_thumb.jpg

post-228-0-09314000-1371792505_thumb.jpg

Thank you Ken!

I was planning on positioning them end to end with the elevator in the middle sandwiched by the waiting room and store (kiosk could be positioned elsewhere), in the center area of the platform between the stairs.

Unfortunately, the 3 structures from your given measurement is about 180mm, while the space between my stairs is only 175mm - I also noticed that the store's door is at the end side and not the long side like the waiting room?

Mardon 

I did a quick sample in photoshop of what im envisioning............

Its 25mm x 175mm

Mardon

platform_zps728a2527.jpg

Unfortunately, the 3 structures from your given measurement is about 180mm, while the space between my stairs is only 175mm - I also noticed that the store's door is at the end side and not the long side like the waiting room?

The brown building has only windows on the ends. The white building is more complicated.  It has a door at the end without windows, but this looks to be a service door, and could be ignored.  It has two side doors (one shown in your composite), but neither really looks like an entrance.

The end with the windows has two windows on the end that extend down to ground level (with a small lip). They aren't exactly the same height or width, so I think one is supposed to be a window and one the entrance.  You could place the windowed end against your stairwell and file away the windowsill on one of the side windows to make a door (the transparent plastic appears to extend down to the floor).

Edit: fixed a typo.

Edited by KenS

Thanks again Ken - appreciate it!

Well, these are far from the original plastic 23-118 kits - but im considering if they could be good enough since the platform will have a roof and most will be covered by the station's facade anyway. Maybe just add some store signs and posters?

Mardon

IMG_1060_zpsd0c9e906.jpg

IMG_1062_zps0c797f0a.jpg

@Jeff - thank bud!

@JR - yup, matte photo paper.  I even used the pics of Ken above as I cant find hi-res pics of their sides.

This is certainly turning out as an all "custom" station! Lol!  Lets see if I can complete the station without buying any kits - just all custom handmade items. But I may eventually 'cheat' hahahaha!

Mardon

Thanks Ken!

Im now double checking platform height in relation to door and distance between end of platform to train

Mardon

IMG_1064_zpscd8e4209.jpg

IMG_1066_zpsa792a7cc.jpg