Hanshin/Sanyo - Hanshin Umeda to Sanyo Himeji

miyakoji

cteno4 was asking me on chat last night if I'd seen any new front-view videos, so I did some searching rather than just trawling my YT subscriptions and came up with this contributor, bxi06030 . I know we've discussed this line before, I think this is the best video of it I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h5X5owRiEs

This is a direct express service from Hanshin Umeda to Sanyo Himeji on Sanyo rolling stock. I don't know if it will be of any interest to modellers, but there are some dense suburban areas through the southeastern Hyogo area (Amagasaki, Ashiya, Kobe). I really like the ground-level track, although it looks like there's a lot of construction in progress to elevate the line. Too bad, it snakes through the neighborhoods and there's a bit of a Showa vibe to some of it.

• Like 2

Man always ceases t amaze me all the interesting scenes, structures and details to model within spitting distance of the tracks. So wonderful the diversity changes so quickly as well. Fun fun fun.

Thanks Miyakoji!

Jeff

bikkuri bahn
I really like the ground-level track, although it looks like there's a lot of construction in progress to elevate the line. Too bad, it snakes through the neighborhoods and there's a bit of a Showa vibe to some of it.

Best section for this is the outer end approaching Himeji (starting from 1hr:21 or so)- you get quite a few stations with the "two side platforms and a grade level pedestrian crossing between the two" showa-era style layout. Also two of the bigger stations which are stops for this service are interesting- Shikama Station with its center bay platform for Aboshi Branch line trains (there is a soba shop abuting the buffer stop that I'm hankering to sample next time...) and Ooshio Station, a two island platform affair with grade level pedestrian access.

These old-skool station layouts are quite common in the Kansai (especially on Kintetsu) and Chubu regions, less so in Kanto.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

Bad news--the original video posted is now longer available publicly. :( However, YouTube member HINTEL1824TRAIN did post a similar video, taken 25 July 2012:

• Like 1

Oh wow! I just watched that video two days ago! What a coincidence. :D

I'm also slowly getting very interested in these Hanshin scenes, as they variety of rolling stock is LARGE! Hot damn! Does anyone know a place where I can find some more information on the inter-connecting services (直通列車) in the standard gauge realm of the Kansai? I mean, the situations in Kōsoku Kōbe and Amagasaki are pretty interesting. Plus, running 18m, 19m and 21m rolling stock together is pretty crazy if you ask me!

Edited by Toni Babelony

Toni,

Hanshin has inter-line agreements with the Sanyo Electric Railway (that's why you have Sanyo express trains from the Hanshin Umeda Station in Osaka all the way to Sanyo Himeji Station in Himeji) and Kintetsu (that's why you can ride a train from Hanshin Sannomiya Station all the way to (I believe) Kintetsu Nara Station!). It's similar to the inter-line agreements between JR East and Tobu Railway, which allow JR East trains to run on Tobu tracks (for example, the limited express from Shinjuku to Tobu Nikko Station).

You thinkin' about defecting from Keisei, Toni?

No way! It was maybe as an alternative to Keisei if Greenmax didn't come out with re-releases of the Keikyu 1000 economy kits soon, I'd get into Hanshin a bit. But guess what? Greenmax felt the heat!

Hanshin has inter-line agreements with the Sanyo Electric Railway (that's why you have Sanyo express trains from the Hanshin Umeda Station in Osaka all the way to Sanyo Himeji Station in Himeji) and Kintetsu (that's why you can ride a train from Hanshin Sannomiya Station all the way to (I believe) Kintetsu Nara Station!). It's similar to the inter-line agreements between JR East and Tobu Railway, which allow JR East trains to run on Tobu tracks (for example, the limited express from Shinjuku to Tobu Nikko Station).

Hmm, I see. Like private railways aplenty in Japan. The most amazing one was maybe Meitetsu with DMU trains running all the way from Nagoya to Toyama and beyond over JR and Toyotetsu tracks.

An interesting detail is how Sanyo feels "no-frills" when compared to the other private railways...

Cheers NB