JR West to operate "cruising sleeper train" that visits World Heritage sites

Interesting news, looks like that thing that JR Kyushu will be running: http://osaka.yomiuri.co.jp/e-news/20130504-OYO1T00215.htm . Found it in this Ompuchaneru thread: http://rail-uploader.khz-net.com/index.php?id=1092943

Some interesting bits: between the prefectures of Kyoto, Nara, Hyogo, Hiroshima, and Shimane, there are 9 World Heritage sites. Along the route, passengers will sleep on the train and in hotels. On-board meals will be gourmet, using ingredients local to regions along the route.

I'll be interested to see what rolling stock is used, specifically refurbed existing passenger stock or new cars, likewise for the motive power (well, a new type of diesel loco seems pretty unlikely). There'll be a lot of unelectrified sections, I wonder if they'll switch locos or if they'll just run it the whole way with a diesel. JR Kyushu is reworking a DF200 as I recall, I wonder if they don't have many DD51s or if they're not up to the task.

Edited by miyakoji
Sacto1985

My guess: they will be former Blue Train passenger cars that will be completely refurbished to current standards for luxury and comfort, pulled by refurbished JNR Class DD51 locomotives (the same locomotives used on the Twilight Express, Hokutosei and Cassiopeia between Hakodate and Sapporo Stations). I wouldn't be surprised that the route along the San'in side of western Japan will be Kyoto to Tottori and onward to Izumoshi completely on the San'in Main Line, the first time a through passenger train travels this long on the San'in Main Line in who knows how long....

you're probably right about the refurbed blue train passenger cars. I haven't kept track, but a few blue train services have been retired over the past few years, which should create some surplus; then again, I'm not sure that stock wouldn't have been scrapped already. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Sacto1985

The fact a number of Blue Train passenger cars were pressed into service during Golden Week this year in Japan tells me there may be enough retired passenger cars to do the conversion to this special luxury passenger train. Given Japan's huge elderly population, there may be enough demand for this special train for many years.

Well, some of the guessing we did here has turned out to be wrong, detailed in the thread mainly about JR East's luxury train: http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/8792-japan’s-jr-east-to-launch-a-luxury-train-service-by-2016/

Anyway, I just found this video of an animated version of the JR West luxury train superimposed on otherwise real footage:

impressive video work

• Like 1