Guest ___

Going to Sapporo in September and am trying to determine the best shots to watch trains outside of Sapporo Station of course. Anyone in the group been there? I'm gun I g for as much ground level and at-grades as I can since I don't use zooms anymore to take pix.

• Like 1
Guest ___

Bikkuri and I are appearly not on good terms from what I'm told so I doubt I'll hear from him.

As for Bon Jovi sucks (which he does these days), I'll chock that up to Siri. (I can't proof the iPhones tiny screen very well outside)

Edited by Shashinka
Damn Siri
bikkuri bahn
Bikkuri and I are appearly not on good terms from what I'm told so I doubt I'll hear from him.

As for Bon Jovi sucks (which he does these days), I'll chock that up to Siri. (I can't proof the iPhones tiny screen very well outside)

That's news to me :icon_scratch: 

Anyway, as far as locations, I only know some station platform locations- Kami-Nopporo on the Chitose Line for good variety including freight, and a few elevated stations on the Gakuentoshi Line.  As far as grade crossings, hmm, there is one on the Hakodate main line between Atsubetsu and Shinrin Koen, it's on a curve, so you may be able to get some nice shots.  You mention you don't use zoom- I suppose that means approx. 50mm lens type perspective?  On moving trains a 3/4 shot will mean you really have to have that train on top of you to fill your viewfinder- kind of like Naotaka Hirota's work in the late 70's. Anyway, if you take those kinds of shots.

I also like to go out on the Gakuentoshi Line around the area of the Ishikari River bridge, the line slopes down after crossing the bridge, you can also get a 3/4 overhead shot from a nearby road bridge.

Human interest rail scenes of course you can find at any station.

Sapporo Station is dark and dismal, though the west side platform ends are OK.

Guest ___

Looking at Goole maps, it looks like I really have to do some hiking to get anything worth while. I've sicne given up on dSLR cameras and shoot rangefinders, mostly Leica (M6, M8...) and Fuji (X-Pro1, X100....) Sigh, well, this was going to be more of a street photography and model shooting trip anyway.

bikkuri bahn

You can check out the grade crossings near local railway stations in suburban Sapporo- there may be a few with some good angles.  A check of the map may turn up some candidates.  You will have to walk from a few hundred meters to a km or so, perhaps.  Sapporo is not as grade crossing rich as the urban areas down south.  One station I like is Zenibako on the Hakodate mainline on the way to Otaru.  There is a grade crossing there on a curve.  It's near the coast too, so some further walking may get you some lineside shots with the ocean in the background.

• Like 1
Guest ___

Thanks Bikkuri, that's a decent start.

What do tyou think of the Hokkaido Railway Museam and the turn table at Naeno?

bikkuri bahn
Thanks Bikkuri, that's a decent start.

What do tyou think of the Hokkaido Railway Museam and the turn table at Naeno?

The museum at Naebo Works is only open on certain Saturdays, it's small but may be worth a look.  I recommend the railway museum in Otaru, that has a turntable and a very nice old brick roundhouse. You'll have to take a bus from the Otaru Railway Station to get there.

http://www.morimori-rr.com/z-morimori-web/mori-travel/mori-travel-24.html

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1

Oops. I missed this reply. I didn't know about the museum up there and will look at that. If its less than 5km, I'd just walk it. I walk 20km a day in average now.

BTW: I plan to ride the Sasso Line but looking at the stations I do not see any turnstiles or IC booths. Is this line cash only or do the on-train fare boxes take Kitaca/Sapica?

bikkuri bahn
BTW: I plan to ride the Sasso Line but looking at the stations I do not see any turnstiles or IC booths. Is this line cash only or do the on-train fare boxes take Kitaca/Sapica?

You can use Kitaca or any of the other rlwy IC cards at any station up to Hokkaido Iiryo Daigaku Station.

Here is a map of the coverage area (the JR Hokkaido Urban Network), the ends are the above mentioned station, Otaru, Iwamizawa, Shin Chitose AP, and Tomakomai.

Another note on photo spots- Naebo Station may be interesting.  I was just there yesterday, lots of trains speeding through and the adjacent Naebo Depot makes for a nice railroady atmosphere, especially in the early evening with the low angle sunlight.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

You know it's funny you should mention Naebo. I already had it on my train chase itiniary. (I love Google Street View) If, I recall correctly, Naebo is the first station east of Sapporo, where as Soen is the fisrt station west, and where Sassho splits off to the north.

Ah, the coverage link. Matthew Davis, our club president at the JRM and I were having this conversation the other day and we stumbled upon this very same map. It looks like about half my trip has me getting on or off at stations that the Kitica pass wont work at.

I am heading out as far as Nakagoya on the Sassho line on a Friday.

Just an example of my day to chase the SL train and hit the musueam to Otaru.

¥530 0:36 to Asari No Kitaca  SL train outbound

¥200 0:04 to Otaruchikko No Kitaca
¥200 0:07 to Otaru

¥350 0:19 to Zenibako

¥200 0:07 to Inaho No Kitaca SL train inbound

¥260 0:18 to Sapporo No Kitaca

Total: ¥550 Kitaca fare ¥1190 cash fare ¥1740

I've seen the English version of the map which shows Asari, Inaho and a few others did not take them unless they have been upgraded since the latest JR map came out. But, unless, the English version is wrong, the stations where the dots are in white, those were the stations that do not accept the Kitaca.

The station list in purple states where I have to board from or alight from which does not take the Kitica cards according to the JR map provided map (English version)

EDIT: After looking at a few street view maps, I was ableto confirm that Asari has a Kitca reader inside it, but as for the other stations, I cannont confirm.

Edited by Shashinka
bikkuri bahn

Problem solved.  Anyway, the uncolored station ticket barriers can handle kitaca, it's just you can't purchase kitaca cards at the tvm's at those stations.