Layout update

Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Just a quick update as its been awhile.  I have been busy with work (I guess I need to pay for trains so off to work I go) so progress has been slow.  I finally had some time these last couple of weeks. I was really concerned on how things were going work out with the grades and scenery. Fortunately I think it may actually look ok when its done and I may actually be able to run trains again soon. :-)

The cabinets under the layout were made by my friend to hold trains.

Spiff

post-387-0-10362800-1394591078_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-47566200-1394591107_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 2

Very nice! Awaiting to see the final landscape after it has been painted. Really impressive layout with different gradients!

Spaceman Spiff

Hi Densha,

I will be replacing the Kato switch controllers to a smaller toggle type switch and going to a panel with indicator lights.

Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Gday Gang,

Time for a quick update. Its been a good month for the layout. Managed to get a lot scenery done. I find the scenery the most rewarded as you see the final results pretty quick compared to wood or track work :-).

Most of the ballasting is done with some tweaking to do. The yard area has some unitram track sections. I will be using the unitram areas as an intermodal and autorack areas.

I am also getting the back drop hard board ready for the main layout.

Bernard, rerailers are gone ;-)

Spiff

post-387-0-59613900-1397174326_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-92531000-1397174360_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-49591600-1397174382_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-62055600-1397174402_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-27841700-1397174424_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-34213200-1397174446_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 1
Spaceman Spiff

Thanks. It's finally coming together. Lol

Just noticed that the iPad's auto spell screwed up your name. Sorry.

Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

IST, the mountain was actually abit bigger. Couldn't get off easily so it was shortened abit lol.

I went with unitram as I figure it would be easier that making styrene inserts for the yards.

Looks like the ballasting may have taken out two or three of the Kato switches. :-(

I though I was careful with the glue and ballast but looks some got thru. I'll have tinker with them and see if I can fix them. Put the bridges back in tonight. Nice to run a train for the first time in a couple of month, even if it only for testing.

Spiff

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
Spaceman Spiff

Just did a test run with a steam loco (Athearn Challenger). A couple of places with dirty track causing deadspots.  Other than that it seems to be ok.

Spiff

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 3

I like the idea of Unitram track in the intermodal/autorack yard.

Me too.  That's a very clever way to use it, and would work for something like an Intermodal yard too.  I'll have to remember that.

The layout is coming along very nicely.  And you've even got scenery in places (I think I had pink foam for more than a year after I had working track).

Spaceman Spiff

I like doing things the easy way so when I saw the unitram track I thought it would be perfect for the autoracks and intermodal yards since they are all concrete.

I have had alot of progress on the layout in the last 6 weeks or so. The mountain portion of the layout is almost complete. I need to figure out the opposite end of the mountain part of the layout in regards to buildings for the town. I received the back drop just to find out they didnt reverse the image as requested. That will delay the back drop by a month or so. It will be a rocky mountain scene.

Started the lake a couple of days ago. The glosss medium is still drying out so its still white in places.

House boating anyone?

post-387-0-45508200-1398009586_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-39019400-1398010012_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
Spaceman Spiff

Hi Jeff,

Those are interesting items. The helicopter is cool. I didn't realize the inventor according to the description is from my home town. I remember playing an old arcade type game at the airport where you flew a helicopter inside a globe going around trees and having to touch down on landing areas. If I didn't have a modern layout I would get that chopper. Maybe I can fit into the club layout ;-)

Jon

I really dig that dust extractor! It looks industrial enough to be placed against any production hall, for any purpose, just to induce the feeling of an industrial area. It's just the perfect industrial 'junk'. :)

Jon - The video is even better than the still photos! I like your friend that not only bought you the houseboat but built it for you too. How are the trains handling the double crossover?

Spaceman Spiff

Hi Bernard,

It's good to have good friends :-).

The crossovers have given me no issues which is good because I have 5 of them. Lol

J

Spaceman Spiff

Gday Gang,

Time for an update. Some good progress since last time. I was really concerned on the scenery work during the wood work as there was some real high sharp drops. I have to say that I am pleased that things turned out better than I thought it would. The back drop is in and makes a difference on the look of the layout. Opposite of the large mountain was supposed to be a smaller mountain but we ended up going with a smaller town with a small station (Kato Swiss stn) and a freight siding. I added a third track for the station which didn't help for a level crossing, that I wanted in the corner -alignment issues. So we went with a vehicle tunnel going under the track. The track has a grade along that turn and being curved made it interesting trying to come up with a level station and platform. The station area is elevated abit so we made a small street level parking lot. I did some scenery work along the lake also.  I also just threw up some fabric cloth behind the backdrop to get rid of the dark green wall. I'll end up having to paint the wall to match the back drop.  I need to touch up the roads and add some more road markings. I'll be adding street lights, trees and more scenery details.  Time to tackle the Shinkasen station and modern city area.

The first pic is the before and the second last one is the after pic :)

Spiff

post-387-0-95273400-1405044999_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-92758300-1405045021_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-93592900-1405045072_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-08086800-1405045089_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-87024000-1405045217_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-69968100-1405045664_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-48344100-1405045678_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 4