Layout update

Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

G'day Gang,

Its been a while since I posted an update.

I took out the helix on the one end of the layout (previously posted in a video) and added an extra siding to that end of the layout. I wanted a larger station area but I didn't have the room that I needed. My layout is basically a backwards "L" shape so to accommodate the station I had to add an expansion area. (1st pic). I needed to connect the expansion area to main layout so a friend of mine built a bridge. The bridge does pop out hence the Kato expansion track connecting the bridge area to the station area and main layout. I'm now trying to figure out the small city layout with the kitbashed overhead stations. I do have a Aoshima parking garage that will be kitbashed to the station. There will be an adjoining hotel next the station also. Behind the taller building will be a two or three track loco shop and maintenance area. I am still finalizing the yard area (grain terminal, small inter modal & autorack area). Once that is done I'll get all the switches powered up and start working on the coal mine area (top level after the bridge). It's taken awhile but the end of track work is in sight. Figuring out the scenery is next. Switch panels like Quinntopia's after that. :-)

Youtube vid:

Spiff

post-387-0-76265800-1367456537_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-30628500-1367456552_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-97864800-1367456566_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-56426100-1367456583_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-08829200-1367456614_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Wow!! That is one long run and there is a lot of interesting paths the trains can take. Nice layout

Spaceman Spiff

It losely based on the Atlas Oregon Pass lines track plan. The original Atlas plan had a hump yard and round house. I modified mine to have a normal siding type yard on the main level and a hidden yard on the lower level. I then added the autorack/intermodal area and the station addition. My layout has 3 levels (main level being the station and main yard level). Even though it looks like two main lines it actually is only one main line with a couple of reverese loops ( bottom loop by hidden yard & top level after the bridge). It isn't the ideal layout but with the space constraints I have it works for now :-)

Most ot the scenery will be mountainous. I hope I can pull it off as some those rock faces will be steep and high lol.

Spiff

post-387-0-45579600-1367464851_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
JR 500系

Cool Spiff!

That's a fantastically long run layout you've got there! Takes alot of planning to get all those tracks in without jumbling them up! Great Job!

I believe a 16-car shinkansen can stretch their legs fully on this layout!

Yours make my layout look way too simple...

What region is your layout based on? Japan or US? Because I see both a Japanese station and an American freight yard... ;)

Mudkip Orange

Nice to see they finally completed that Bering Strait bridge I was reading about in Popular Science 20 years ago.

Love the spaghetti bowl. Benchwork ain't bad either.

Spaceman Spiff

Densha, my layout doesn't have region lol. It's very international as I have Japanese, European, UK, Taiwanese and North American lol.

Mudkip, good name for the bridge ;-)

Spiff

A very nice layout and your track work has been well laid as can be seen by video. what type and code of track are you using .looks to be in a room in your house. definitely better than my garage which is cold and dusty.

Spaceman Spiff

beakaboy,  it`s mostly Atlas code 80 flex with Peco & Kato switches. The station area is done with Kato unitrack. Some of the unitrack was cut to fit. I am hoping the ballasting will fill in the areas that have cut marks.The layout is in a small room in the basement. The wife overuled me in the size of the room :-(.  The main layout section is 13X6ft and 30 inches wide. Its all modular built (with removable legs & wiring that can be disconnected) so it can come apart in sections if I ever move.

Spiff

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

Spiff

Smart man making it modular, that way you won't move. If you had made it permanent just about the time it was running well and scenery is going bam you would need to move!

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
Spaceman Spiff
Spiff

Smart man making it modular, that way you won't move. If you had made it permanent just about the time it was running well and scenery is going bam you would need to move!

Jeff

Lol. You're probably right

Spiff

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

I'm never ever thinking of doing a permanent layout again, you don't know where to start and will never finish it that way.

quinntopia

Spiff! Its looking great...and I'm really impressed with your carpentry skills as well! ;-)

I agree with Jeff, keeping it modular is the smart way to go.  That does involve some sacrifices, but in the long run its worth it (IMO).  My layout was pretty modular up until I decided to expand it 3 years ago, now I almost regret it!

Doesn't have to be modular, can just be sectional so that even a custom layout can come apart into movable pieces! Having the wiring so it can decouple with each section is a big plus. Also having a support structure that is not permanently attached to the layout sections helps and then a support structure that come apart easily and be reassembled is great. Bit of work and expense up front, but the alternative of taking a chain saw to a finished or semifinished built in layout! Arrrrgggggg!

Jeff

Spaceman Spiff

Quinn, it was my buddy who had the carpentry skill. If you see a crooked cut then that was me lol.

Doing the modular set up did make for abit more work but hopefully if and when they day comes to move it will be easy to move. I just had to make sure I had joiner track (5 inch Atlas track or retailers) crossing over the modules quick disconnects with the wiring. The legs of the modules sit in pockets, so I just need to lift the modules and the legs fall off.

Spiff

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
Spaceman Spiff

Time for a quick update. I'm disappointed with how long its taking but things will probably progress quicker now that winter is here :-( . The track work is 99% done, just some minor tweaking and straightening of the track in some places to be done. I have started with the scenery now. The one end of the layout has three levels and track that is climbing and descending. This end is going probably going to be the most complicated for the scenery but its now taking shape. I have a rather large mountain (with removable top) that will have a coal mine and a small lake with a stream going to a larger lake. I have also added a second bridge going across the lake.

First test run under the mountain with 500 series 16 car train:

Spiff

post-387-0-26674100-1385084951_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-18226700-1385085075_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-71255800-1385085114_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-29708600-1385085149_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-32465300-1385085202_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-94814600-1385085222_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-03745000-1385085283_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-85225500-1385085314_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-00259500-1385085340_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-12888700-1385085418_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-61938400-1385085440_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-58707200-1385085457_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 5

This layout is really coming together....I wouldn't be worried about it coming together at a slow pace, it's more important that it's running smoothly with little or no problems. Usually the winter months when you're stuck inside is when a lot of work gets done on layouts.

Spiff, excellent! The full shinkansen runs very smoothly on your track work and grades! Love the arch bridge! Mountain is going to be quite grand!

Looks to be a fun winter ahead!

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

Spiff - One suggestion: I like that you have re-railer tracks on the layout it's a great idea.....but is it too late to move them into the tunnel? The reason is that when you start ballasting your track, the re-railer tracks will take away from the effect. I always try and hide my re-railers.

I can't believe how big the mountain is...very impressive! What I like about your layout is that when someone comes to see it trains will be coming out of know where, the viewer really is going to have to follow a train.

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks for comments guys. Bernard, the rerailers are there because that is where the modules join up. They also assist in placing cars in the yard. You do bring up a good point in regards to ballast so I may put in 5 inch pieces of snap track in there instead.

Thanks

Spiff