New Toy

Claude_Dreyfus

Claude_Dreyfus

Okay, so it's not a Japanese prototype, but it is Asian, and produced by Kato.

I have today taken delivery of a Hong Kong KTT set, comprising an 'SLM Winterthur ABB locomotive (better known as the SBB Re460) and four double-deck carriages. The loco is a standard Kato product, however I understand the carriages were produced by a sub-contractor. I have heard mixed responses about the quality of the coaches, but they look fair enough to me....and I would suggest the comparison is against the usual quality of Kato products... 

It cropped up on ebay the other day, and I got the whole set for under £100.00  :o. If anyone is interested I'll post a couple of pictures when I get to take them...

Claude - You don't even have to ask if anyone is interested....if it has the word "trains or new model" we all want to see it.  ;D

I look forward to the photos and also post them in the Gallery!

alpineaustralia

So you got it!

I was looking at it and hoping and praying it would stay at the 30-40 pound level that it hovered at for some time.

Drats! beaten again.

Claude_Dreyfus

So you got it!

I was looking at it and hoping and praying it would stay at the 30-40 pound level that it hovered at for some time.

Drats! beaten again.

Sorry 'bout that...

Claude_Dreyfus

Okay, as promised...a couple of pictures taken last night. The layout it is posed on is our club's work in progress, a 00 layout set in 1950s Dorset...

post-141-13569922493296_thumb.jpeg

post-141-13569922493765_thumb.jpeg

oooh! ;)

I'm never have seen this train before. How does it run, and do you like the construction of it?

Claude_Dreyfus

oooh! ;)

I'm never have seen this train before. How does it run, and do you like the construction of it?

I have yet to run it...however it certainly looks the part. I suspect one of the possible issues with it will be the couplings, which are certainly not up to the usual Kato standard - it is fitted with rudimentary Kadees. To be strictly prototypical I need two  ;)...as they run in an eight-car formation with the two locos top-and-tailing. I have, in effect, a half-set. That does not worry me too much, and this will make a nice and unusual addition to the ever increasing 'Dreyfus stud'...

As I said, I have not had the chance to run it as yet, although I will need to probably tomorrow as I don't leave ebay feedback for an engine until I have tested it first....