New Saikyo line E233系7000番 on test

bronzeonion

I still like the 205 series better, train designs from the 80s rock.

According to wikipedia, the oldest 205 series is from 1985, so that makes them 28 years or less old. But also on wikipedia I saw that it is still active on many lines, if it is up-to-date.

bronzeonion
I still like the 205 series better, train designs from the 80s rock.

According to wikipedia, the oldest 205 series is from 1985, so that makes them 28 years or less old. But also on wikipedia I saw that it is still active on many lines, if it is up-to-date.

I agree, the 205 series are very nice and if it wasn't for the patterned interior panels they would still look pretty modern too! The 205's on the Saikyo line have run on it since it opened in 1985 so these must be some of the oldest on JR. I'm not sure how old the Musashino line ones are but I know they had their traction equipment changed to a newer VVVF type. It's a shame to see these old JNR trains slowly fade away but there is always a future for most of them on secondary lines,like the 211 series finding a home on the Chuo Secondary line and 205 series I think from the Keiyo line being refurbished and put on the Nikko line. It is nice to see private operators buying some Keiyo line 205 series' and giving them a new home on the Fujikyu line.

• Like 1

How new are the 205's on the JR East Yokohama Line between Yokohama and Hachioji? Are they eventually going to be replaced by newer 231/233 variants, since the Yokohama Line can be fairly busy....

bikkuri bahn
How new are the 205's on the JR East Yokohama Line between Yokohama and Hachioji? Are they eventually going to be replaced by newer 231/233 variants, since the Yokohama Line can be fairly busy....

They're pretty old- the line is served by 28 eight car 205 series trainsets of the original 0 bandai  production run.  As they started running in 1989, they are due for replacement with 233 series beginning in fiscal 2014.

• Like 1
bronzeonion
They're pretty old- the line is served by 28 eight car 205 series trainsets of the original 0 bandai  production run.  As they started running in 1989, they are due for replacement with 233 series beginning in fiscal 2014.

I seem to remember some of the Keiyo ones had different style windows, similar to 103/201 series style windows. Were these even older?

Some 205 Series trains on the Musashino line (also running on the Keiyō line) have high door windows, as opposed to the regular windows on 205 Series. The 205 I rode on the Yokohama line today was bog standard, no special features. I need to enjoy the ride next monday twice again (doing some training assisting at Fuji Electric in Toyoda). As they'll be gone next year, I need to memorise the sound of the hard working motors in the rush hour... :(

bikkuri bahn
I seem to remember some of the Keiyo ones had different style windows, similar to 103/201 series style windows. Were these even older?

They are also from the 0 Bandai subseries.  They were fitted with FRP cab fronts to present a different image from the standard 205's.

bikkuri bahn
As they'll be gone next year, I need to memorise the sound of the hard working motors in the rush hour...

Admittedly not particularly favorites of mine, but yes, the traction motor sound is decent w/o annoying inverter whine to muddle things up. I try to ride in a moha unit at either end near the bogie centers (actually this is the case with any EMU I ride).

• Like 1