Kato 500 Series Shinkansen - Same Set Number, Different Headlights?

The Next Station Is...

The Next Station Is...

I'm a bit baffled as I've got two sets of Series 500 Shinkansens, both Kato and both with the same set number (10-382). However, they have different coloured headlights - one set with amber headlights and one set with blue headlights. The packaging is also different between the two.

I've been trying to find out some more information but I haven't been able to find anything that indicates the set was released in two different versions. The only thing I can think off is that the version with the blue headlights is a re-release of the original set with the modification of the headlight colour.

I'd be grateful if anyone out there can shed any light on this (pun intended)!

post-940-0-12834900-1363967594_thumb.jpg

Lol. Even the card inserts are colored in the colors of the headlights, it also mentions "Head/taillights". Maybe the "西日本xxx", probably implying JR West, could be something that makes for the difference. I don't know many Japanese characters so there may be more info in the text on the card inserts.

CaptOblivious

The yellow card insert reads "1998 Blue Ribbon Winner" where the other doesn't. Sounds like a clue to me!

I wanted to write that at first too, but the blue card has the same written on it only in a different letter size if you look closely.

Guest Closed Account 1

Looks like Kato just changed LEDs for a modern look.

I've received DCC decoders of the same stock number with these warmer white LEDs.

The initial release was 10-382 - power set 7 cars . 10-383 7 cars and 10-384 2 cars for total 16.

10-384

41DqATOCREL.jpg

I knew this was familiar here is the thread as I was researching this when I first started.

The manual has the print date on the 110-1121-9809 and 110-1121-0403

The 10-383 is out of production and is a 5 car set with yellow. card

41yRQc1KdJL.jpg

The manual may be reversed as the right manual has Sept 1998 as the print date. 

I think the UPC codes may be different on the two which will give you a better distinction.

The UPC Code 4949727005270

Inobu

Edited by inobu
The Next Station Is...

Thanks to everybody for your replies.

Inobu - Your comments about the UPC and manual dates were particularly interesting. I've looked at both of my sets and although they both have the same UPC, the year of print on the back of the manuals gives it away - the version with the yellow headlights is dated 1998 and with the blue headlights is 2004.

It's especially interesting considering that Kato re-released the Series 500 only two years later as set 10-510 (etc), again with blue headlights.

Now I've got to decide which set to keep! I've got the extra sets for the complete 16 car set and the earlier set is more prototypical but the later set was my first Japanese train purchase... tough decision!

The Next Station Is...
i was trying to get some info about the 200 Series maybe google and i found something the 500 kato in jap but maybe will help too

http://www9.plala.or.jp/akotetsudo/sks500.html#500k.

Thanks - I had a look at the page with the help of Google Translate. I couldn't find anything that suggested a change in specification between the original 7 car/5 car/2 car sets originally released and the later release as 4 car/4 car/8 car sets.

It's a very interesting page though and has both the Kato and Tomix releases.