@Lachette

I don't find the pantograph really detailed after looking at your photo.

Yea, I forgot to extend it for the picture, but sometimes alot of kato's pantograph aren’t real detailed from what I have seen on my other Shinkansens also made from Kato. Then again most of the time when running them, I leave them down in fear they’re going to get ripped off....

The pantograph on car 12 was a little crooked and I spent some time trying to straighten it before I gave up fearing I'd mess it up.

But other than that I'm super happy with this set, this is my second E series Shinkansen and I find it super cool that you can consist them together. Sadly the gap looks a little big for my tastes, but I leave the tongue (is that what it’s called?) of the E5 retracted to make it a little closer. Wide radius rail (was running on the V11 set) keeps that tongue from rubbing against the sides.

While back, I wanted an E4 to connect to my E5 but I've had hard time finding the whole set.

@Zeppelin

Yea I found the width of the mini Shinkansen E6 compared to the E5 interesting as well, Kato did good scaling that.

Edited by Lachette
Guest Closed Account 1

Received mine today. Another nice hot wheel for my collection.

Will run the E6 with E5 tomorrow on the big track.

Guest Closed Account 1

Ran E5 + E6 today at 201MPH. Don't blink or you'll miss it.

http://youtu.be/UH0xadjS7RA

Sexy Red E6 runs smooth and fast on DCC.

I never saw this before. At each door, a step lowers and lifts. So it's easier for people to step to the platform. I thought it was a vent (black). Saw it in action on a utube video.

post-398-0-88423700-1365904951_thumb.jpg

Edited by Webskipper

the Kato E6 will work perfect with Kato Decoders (EM13,FL12)

simply plug in and go :-)

i just ordered my full E6 and a Lenz Silver mini+

Zeppelin driver

I just noticed,,, I moved my E6 over to my track with a incline.

It labored. So I take a look & there is no tires.

I was searching here on the JNS.

I see in '09 there was a thread where some Kato E3's had tires and others didn't.

Did you guys notice whether your Kato E6 have tires ??

I don't feel a tire groove on my wheels.

I see the Kato part sheet shows tires as spares !?

Howard

I just noticed,,, I moved my E6 over to my track with a incline.

It labored. So I take a look & there is no tires.

I was searching here on the JNS.

I see in '09 there was a thread where some Kato E3's had tires and others didn't.

Did you guys notice whether your Kato E6 have tires ??

I don't feel a tire groove on my wheels.

I see the Kato part sheet shows tires as spares !?

Howard

I noticed mine without tires either. I'd like to get some spare tires and install and see if they stay, or get the wheels with grooves for tires from the E5 and put them on the E6, just not sure if they would fit or the gears would mesh correctly.

Either that or they left tires off so they could "slip" a little when connected to an E5 when people run with them in DC only. or did Kato recommend people who couple these trains together that they run DCC and have them speed matched?

• Like 1
I never saw this before. At each door, a step lowers and lifts. So it's easier for people to step to the platform. I thought it was a vent (black). Saw it in action on a utube video.

Hello Mr Webskipper,

This is because E6 is narrow like E3, for operation on Akita Line.  You will find standard shinkansen width is approximately 3.35m.  However, E3 and E6 are approximately 0.4m narrower.  The width is 2.945m.

Guest Closed Account 1

Width makes a difference.

Trucks with traction tires are common on the Kato Shinkansens. They fit most chassis using the 4.1mm tire.

Before adding trucks with traction tires be sure your Shinkansens are speed matched or you will have trouble.

I didn't mention this before.

I speed matched the E6 to tbe E5.

E6 used CV29=39 to reverse the motor car decoder.

Rotated each End Car decoder so the whole train

Behaves correctly when coupled with E5.

Remember, when you reverse the motor CV (CV29= odd value) the normally forward trim CV66 becomes the reverse trim CV95.

I had to turn up the forward trim quite a bit to get the E6 to keep up and perfectly match the E5.

I first speed matched just the motor cars.

The Em13 must have Bemf on because the E5 train continues to accelerate as you add cars. That little extra weight triggers the motor to compensate speed.

@ Skipper:

You meant like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC040gN-zqI

Turn to 1:37.

I have this movie in my phone (Well i did say i love JR East and the E3 Komachi~)... I think it only exists on the E3 Komachi & Tsubasa and i think the E6 (i can't be sure on this) as they are susposed to be 'mini-shinkansens' hence they are much taller the their height allows for this feature. Bet you can't find this feature on the E2, E4 or E5 cause they are way too low to have it.. It's very nice to have a mini platform to mind the gaps in between the train and the platform. Very thoughtful Japanese as usual.

Edited by JR500 のぞみ
  • Like 1

Just picked up the Kato E6 - great runner with a very quiet motor. However, I've noticed that the 4 coach cars that come with the add-on set flicker continuously with the interior lights installed. This doesn't happen with the motor car or the end cab cars - just the coach cars. One option was to add some weight to force more pressure on the electrical contact points, but this required too much weight and didn't completely fix the issue. Have others noticed this problem? Wondering if this was typical for this set and if there was a solution to this. Thanks.

This is typical with kato models the pickup is just not a good way to do it. KAto should find a better way.

I am not too sure on the kato version of E6 as i only have Tomix one.

But with some kato models i have this works others don`t.

When inserting the brass strips into the carriage slot provided have a look underneath in some models there is 2 brass strips so if you slide the lighting one between this makes for very good contact.

However some models only have the 1 brass strip underneath so it does not help.

The motor car usually goes well becasue the strip is tighter making contact better.

Models with 1 strip are too loose, adding weight helps like you said, but also applying a think bit of paper between brass strip and plastic can also make better contact.

Edited by keitaro

Thanks for the info, Keitaro. I discovered that the issue was the lack of contact between the bogies and the brass strips - this is a very light train and there was so much movement in the bogie that it didn't maintain consistent contact with the brass strip. So I had to bend the brass strips to enable better contact with the bogies, which took a while to find that sweet spot - too much pressure from the strip would prevent the bogie from turning properly. And even after adding additional weight to the cars, it still flickers periodically. Wish I had gotten the Tomix version now.