JR Tokai 117 series on route to scrapping

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Location is Tokaido Main Line between Araimachi and Bentenjima, the body of water is the entrance to Lake Hamana. Train originated in Ogaki, bound for Nishi Hamamatsu for a date with the scrapper. Apparently one of the pair of these trainsets has run the previous day on a charter- JR Tokai got its money's worth on these trains to the end.

I think I posted something about this before:

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/6912-retiring-of-jr-central-117-series/?hl=%2B117+%2Bseries

I have been wondering this for a while, but why would you scrap a train that is even able to drive itself to the scrapyard?! This happens pretty much anywhere in the world, trains get scrapped even though they are in perfect condition. While the 117 series is aging in terms of years, I've seen many trains being scrapped even though they were just... say 20 years old.

The JNR 117 Series trainsets have been around since the first half of the 1980's--they're probably about 30 years old and hard-worked in express and local service. Given the small number of trainsets built, it's past due they are retired.

There's several news entries in the JR Central category on Tetsudou News (http://railf.jp/news/jr/central/) about trains being moved to Hamamatsu, mostly stock I thought they were intending to preserve, from Mino-Ota Depot.  Maybe a sort of a spring cleaning?  These 117s and maybe some 119s that aren't going to new homes (still haven't found good info on that) seem to be included.

Densha - yeah I often wonder how they decide when to scrap.  In the case of JRC, I think they've got enough money for new equipment, and they probably want to standardize on the 313s, and the nature of their conventional line operations allows that, so maybe they get rid of this older stuff before other operators would.

SubwayHypes

im a fan of the 117 series trains, reminds me of childhood.  im also surprised they scrap them, maybe the value of the metals alone is worth more than what they could sell it to developing nations for.  im sure places like philipines or other developing asian countries could buy some trains, i saw the trains in manila they are terrible!

I think I posted something about this before:

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/6912-retiring-of-jr-central-117-series/?hl=%2B117+%2Bseries

I have been wondering this for a while, but why would you scrap a train that is even able to drive itself to the scrapyard?! This happens pretty much anywhere in the world, trains get scrapped even though they are in perfect condition. While the 117 series is aging in terms of years, I've seen many trains being scrapped even though they were just... say 20 years old.

Been going on for years. I remember as a kid in the late sixties seeing long lines of steam locos at Redbank workshops awaiting scrapping, most were driven there under their own steam, some not much more than ten years old and some only just overhauled, many would have been good for another ten years service without major work. I think sometimes there is a lot 'we don't want to look old fashioned' involved in the decision making.