World's Greatest Hobby on Tour Train Show

Hi All,

Just got back from the above mentioned show in California and, although 99% of the items for sale were non-Japanese, it was nice to see so many other train enthusiasts out and about. I even bought some boxcars just for the hell of it.

Kato USA was there and I saw a bunch of their products on display. I did purchase some tractor trailers and some containers for the railyard I plan to build someday. It sure would be nice to see a show like that except predominately Japanese rail...now that would be something!

Minelayer

bikkuri bahn

I wonder if anyone on the west coast has tried a Japanese outline N trak module(s) that could be part of a bigger exhibition setup- would go far in promoting Japanese outline model rr'ing. Say as part of an "international modular club".  I know the exhibition in Roseville (went many years ago) had a European HO scale modular club making an appearance- if I was still living in the Bay Area, I would be seriously be interested in joining/starting up an HO scale modular club that had an international flavor (anything outside N. American prototype OK).

• Like 1

Bikkuri bahn,

There is the asianrails group in the sf Bay Area that has a ntrak type modular format that they do modules on various Asian rail scenes.

A chap here in the dc area has three great Japanese ntrak modules that get a lot of attention at local show. They usually do the worlds greatest show as well. He has several Japanese trains to get eyes.

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/modulesofjapan.html

Probably the easiest way to start introducing Japanese trains to the general train public. Befor I found the other Japanese Modelers here in the dc area and we formed JRM I was about to start on a pair of 3' deep ntrak modules that was going to have large shinkansen station with the ntrak lines running thru it and a lower level with a local level line running independently w.in the modules. Idea was to then build end and behind modules to be able to have it displayed independently or at home as well. Might do it eventually as it would be fun to play with the ntrakers. Ttrak is another option, one of our club members has a great loop of very Japanese tram modules at alternate space so he can integrate into bigger ttrak setups.

Our club has done the wgh show when it was here last, may do it again!

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1
nscalestation

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and just saw this post.  I belong to Peninsula Ntrak in the Bay Area.  We were at the WGH show held in the Bay Area earlier this year and it was great.  We had a corner module in that layout that was re-done a few years ago by one of the members with a Japanese theme.  She has a short video about it on youtube.

Also I am rebuilding one of my old straight 4 ft modules in a Japanese theme that will include the mountain division track and have a diverging track to form a junction to the AsiaNrail layout which I am also involved with.  The AsiaNrail layout is normally at 51 inches but the legs for most of the AsiaNrail modules are adjustable to it can be lowered to the Ntrak mountain division height.  I have quite a few posts on my blog about the "Hot Springs Junction" module. 

http://www.tokyo-in-nscale.blogspot.com/search/label/Hot%20Springs%20Junction

Went to an east coast convention years ago and really enjoyed the variety of Ntrak modules.  Hope to do something like that again sometime.

Brad

• Like 2

Nice video! Like the mass of people gathering in front of the public bath. What's very interesting is 'She' has a short video... Don't get much female rail enthusiasts around ~ 

nscalestation

Thanks guys,

Yes, we've been lucky at Peninsula Ntrak to have active women members.  We currently have 3 who are all quite skilled with scenery and have their own modules.  One of them even runs her own trains.   Additionally they have served on our board, and helped with layout coordination.

The convention on the east coast I attended years ago was in Orlando and NV Ntrak was a big part of it so I am familiar with them.  They are a fun group who do some great layouts.  

Brad