Wrestling with two scales...

ChrisV

How many people model more than one scale for your trains.

I have been a HO collector for years but now deviating into JR N Scale and now $$$ are even more stretched but I can not stay away....

I have wondered whether I should dump the HO gear and concerntrate on the N stuff but its incredibly hard!!

Any others show symptoms like this!? :-\

Chris - Oh Yeah, I have this problem...but it's a nice problem to have.

When I was a kid my father bought me my first train set which was S scale American Flyer which I still have. I then got into HO and started collecting them, at one point I thought of doing a Garden RR and bought some LGB, recently my uncle passed away and in his will he left his "O scale" Lionel train collection to me. (My wife was thrilled when I walked into the house with 5 boxes of trains ::))

How I got into "N scale"? A friend of mine went to a LHS that was going out of business and bought 4 Bachmann started sets. He lived in a NYC apartment and didn't have room to run them so he gave them to me, I was hooked, it became my favorite scale and the rest is history.

So I have a lot of different scales but I find that I can do more with the N scale because of its size plus I find the designs of the Japanese trains unique.  The next question is should I sell my other scale trains? I don't have the heart to part with any of them and I do take the trains out from time to time to run them and clean them.

The one thing I've noticed is that the prices of trains has gone up in value over the years. 

On one of my earlier layouts I did mix all the scales trying to give the layout a "perspective" look, it was interesting seeing all the different trains running but you were really limited in what you could do with design. Sticking to one scale as a layout has a uniform look.  My new motto is: stay with N scale and don't even about looking at anything else.  (But boy aren't those Z scale trains interesting? ::))

Martijn Meerts

I have Z, N, H0 and 0 at the moment.

Z: only a starter set (swiss prototype, installed a decoder as an eperiment)

N: lots of Japanese stuff obviously ;)

H0: Variety of German, Swiss and American prototype. Will likely get rid of most of it, stopped liking H0. I will be keeping by Big Boy though ;)

0: Just 1 locomotive (German prototype) and a 1 meter stretch of straight track. Track is all hand laid though. Considering getting more of this.

Martijn Meerts

Bernard, Lenz =)

Not only are they good at DCC, they make some impressive 0-scale models, for an affordable price. I have the v100 in the red era III livery. I went for that one because German era III is a mixture of steam, diesel and electric.

A good site/blog for some 0-scale (featuring Lenz rolling stock) is http://busybeas-alterlokschuppen.blogspot.com/. Really shows the detail that's possible, and why I now prefer 0-scale over H0 =)