Kato Glacier Express

Guest Closed Account 1

Guest Closed Account 1

I ultimately used the Kato Coupler/diaphragm set 28-186 to close the gap.

Digitrax glacier decoder arrived and will get to run it on the mountain line at the fairgrounds Saturday. Will get pics.

Since the curves I run are wide, I did not replace every diaphragm with the new shallow ones. Instead the 1st car keeps the originals, and each door end of the other cars gets the new shallow diaphragm. This pushes the tolerance for the gap.

Be careful when removing the diaphragms, the lower hooks are fragile and easily break.

The couplers look like modified GG1 couplers.

Edited by Webskipper

I have just recently done this upgrade on my Glacier Express set. Like Webskipper, I chose to alternate the diaphragms.

Here is stock:

b90c94040f9fa65f3a3b17b0e9141f0b-800.jpg

Here is the complete replacement:

2996bb5b09f24132c699ea0ebd2a4979-800.jpg

And here is the hybrid approach:

16fef73148fad3940c0b2398ef3fa23c-800.jpg

More details on the installation are on my blog: http://www.utrainia.com/61-upgrading-the-kato-glacier-express

I also did a fairly in-depth article on hardwirng a DCC decoder. It was a lot of work, but I like the quietness of the NCE decoder over Digitrax. Details here: http://www.utrainia.com/60-dcc-decoder-installation-for-the-kato-glacier-express

Completed installation:

ef6aa75377c77492749e3502400b7a02-800.jpg

Enjoy,

Michael.

• Like 2
Claude_Dreyfus

The alternate solution looks good, but will restrict the radius of curve the train can negotiate. Having fitted my set, the gap is shorter, but still noticable. Really it is all about compromise...either in appearence or operation.

milkfish888

Hello!  I would greatly appreciate if anyone could provide some inputs on how to install interior lights in the passenger cars for the Kato Glacier Express.  Thanks!

Guest Closed Account 1

how to install interior lights in the passenger cars for the Kato Glacier Express. 

Have you seen the Glacier Express cars illuminated?

I know in real life they have lights, but minimal. Maybe just for aisles and emergency.

Edited by Webskipper

I found a picture from the prototype with interior lights turned on:

http://www.eurail.com/sites/eurail.com/files/styles/asset_image_images_slider_big/public/panoramic_windows_in_glacier_express.jpg?itok=Zn80z99U

On the video above, it looks like individual leds glued to the roof, so my guess is that it has self adhesive light strips installed. The leds are visible, since the roof is very thin and the windows are tall, so it might need some masking or painting to look good when the lights are turned off.

• Like 1

I thought about adding lights, but from memory the wheels don't have electrical pickups? So you would need to run cables between carriages or use battery power.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk

• Like 1