Kato Glacier Express

Guest Closed Account 1

Guest Closed Account 1

Just got my sets and they are impressive. Included is a Unitram short burgundy re-railer.

Still searching for DCC decoder. Light board is the same as an EF81.  Picture of light board. http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10161228a/20/1

Looks just like the Metra Decoder.

Couplers, need to reduce that gap.

Tried Kato short shanks 923500. Knuckles just touch. 

The Kato GG1 couplers have the right tail shape to stay centered but are the same length as the short shanks.

Kato 923501 Long shanks are the only knuckle choice however there is no pointy tail to allow the spring to center it. Maybe a larger diameter spring will work #923500.

Kato Coupler comparison attached. GG1 and short shanks are on either side of the long shank knuckle coupler in the center.

post-398-0-51636700-1362105703_thumb.jpg

Edited by Webskipper

My friend's set arrived yesterday. It looks really cool, althoguh the gap is quite big between the cars. He is also thinking how can he reduce this gap.

He promised me to shoot some photo about the train, I will show them.

Maybe a solution which isn't suitable for N-gauge, but for fixed formation rakes of Z-gauge coaches I have removed the couplers and connected the coaches with a piece of stiff industrial sticky tape on the underside of the bogies. Cheap and effective at least for up to 4 coaches. It costs nearly nothing to try this, so why not give it a shot....

Claude_Dreyfus

I have a set due for delivery next week. The couplings will certainly be looked at, as well as how it will handle DCC.

Saw an interesting link in another forum: http://ngauge.seesaa.net/article/323224832.html

But those Tomix couplers are pretty expensive.

I fitted this Loco set Dcc for a mate and used the same tomix system

As I understand the item for the short copler set for these is Kato 28-186 will be available in days.

Tomix coupler sets are very very good and I often use with rakes for new installations in DCC.

DCC installed this Glacier set on Monday. It took a long time using plug in board. I would hard wire as a very large bit of inner roof had to be milled out as well as  the metal Chassis. I have fitted some 300 locos this year with DCC and I am really quite cynical about some Kato claims to be semi DCC friendly. The new tooling sets using the kato own decoders are a great setup. As far as Locos and difficult non DCC Friendly, once you just approach everything from a hard wired perspective things actually improve  a lot. Economy of scale in research, adjustment and the rest ( swewt)  offset plug in pricing, unless the drop in decoder is required for 4 or 6 functions. For 4 -6 funtions into 2 car permanently coupled units really interesting things can be done. I recently put door exit lights into a German ET45 model, along with individual cab lights and sparking panotgraphs using tiny micro LEDs. I approach everything now in reverse. work not from drop in to hard wire but hardwire to drop in. Recently I have  actually separate parts of decoders to allow fitting into my personal units. Capacitors are often the components that take the bulk width of decoders. I have only done this as research into the component make up of decoders as I am interested in the electronic construction. It is a learning curve to dismantle something working, and to then put it back together to work once more but better. . Do not do this dismantling of chips as this will void the warrenty on ya decoder chip. As Leonardo De Vinci said once, "their is more to learn in a lifeless body, than often in a living one."

For those that need this chipped, hard wire with milling on frame across chassis for a suitable sizes chip with replacement fourth of a mm microwire than standard dCC wire that is usually supplied.  Go luck  . With hard wire no plastic shell need be removed.

Guest Closed Account 1

Interesting.

So the TCS Metra decoder K4D6 did not fit well in the loco used for the Glacier Express?

Which decoder did you use?

This issue has caused great embarrassment at Kato, especially after certain customer use Tomix parts to resolve the problem. 

Kato have announced a short coupler replacement.  I have found the HobbySearch link for international customer here:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10219203

Please note that Kato claim the new coupler is compatible with R150 curve.  I don't think this can be achieved with Tomix coupler.

Edited by Ochanomizu
Guest Closed Account 1

As I was assembling my Daylight coaches to the GS4 4449 with hemostats because I used the close couplers, it dawned on me that Kato only used one diaphragm per coach and not 2.

That allows for a tight fit.

I think hobby train made the coaches and Kato made the loco because of its similarity to the Metra chassis. Same decoder.

Interesting.

So the TCS Metra decoder K4D6 did not fit well in the loco used for the Glacier Express?

Which decoder did you use?

Did not use this decoder. I have done 2 of these now and the option is milling for a dz125 which is pretty easy really and the other is with a Digitrax DN163K1D which I did for the first one but was a pretty major shell job needed on roof panel to allow the unit to shut snuggly. Also the main frame needed one section of it milling for a protuding componant on the underside of Chip PCB.

Second time used a hardwired Digitrax DZ125 and with a milling away of the frame. Was up and running much quicker than first effort but this is offset by some decrease in traction due to weight.

Döhler und Haas. 

are another option in extreme tight spaces but functions are very limited.

Good Luck

• Like 1

Finally got my GE yesterday from the postman.  Still waiting on hearing whether or not the TCS K4D6 will fit or not.  If the DN163K1D fits, then why won't the TCS K1D4-NC fit?  (I new to this, so this may be a stupid question.  But it can't hurt to ask.) 

Guest Closed Account 1

TCS K7D4 will fit the Ge4 with tiny bit of light pipe shortening. Score and snap.

Edited by Webskipper
Claude_Dreyfus

Likewise. Arrived in a huge box from HS...a little bit overkill for such a tiny package.

Fitting them is, hopefully, a job for the weekend!

Hello Mr Webskipper and Mr Claude,

I did not purchase Glacier Express because of excessive car spacing.  But I am interested.  Could you post before and after photo of coupler replacement?  Can you measure car spacing before and after replacement please?

I would very much appreciate to know.

Did not use this decoder. I have done 2 of these now and the option is milling for a dz125 which is pretty easy really and the other is with a Digitrax DN163K1D which I did for the first one but was a pretty major shell job needed on roof panel to allow the unit to shut snuggly. Also the main frame needed one section of it milling for a protuding componant on the underside of Chip PCB.

Second time used a hardwired Digitrax DZ125 and with a milling away of the frame. Was up and running much quicker than first effort but this is offset by some decrease in traction due to weight.

Döhler und Haas. 

are another option in extreme tight spaces but functions are very limited.

Good Luck

Digitrax make new dcc decoder for GLACIER EXPRESS "Digitrax DN163K4A" Modeltrainstuff have it for 28.89 USD

One member of our club made a small article with some pictures about the replacement couplers, you can see it here:

http://vonatmagazin.blog.hu/2013/08/22/kato_glacier_express_csinositas

Sorry, it is only in Hungarian, but at least you can see the pictures. Kato packed some shorter gangway with the couplers. We found it is better to change only one gangway at each car to the shorter one and leave the longer (original one) on the other side, so it looks better.