Carrying realism just a little bit far

Jcarlton

I've been searching for pictures of those pointed telephones that decouple cars in prototype photos but can't find any. Can someone help! Be interestIng to see how they work in yards.

Jeff

sorry lysdexia again, telephone POLES (i can read right thru missing words or letters and never notice them missing), you know those big ones that come in the video and uncouple the cars. I want to see those in the prototypes, very curious!

the air hoses are cool. wonder if they have sound effects built in as well?! hey the car could have a sound unit thats triggered by the loss of the connection maybe... come on lets take this all the way out there.

jeff

• Like 1

I think they're a great idea, and I've ordered a set to play with.

I don't have any qualms about uncoupling Kadees manually - that's how we uncouple in real life! :)

Cheers,

Mark.

I think they're a great idea, and I've ordered a set to play with.

I don't have any qualms about uncoupling Kadees manually - that's how we uncouple in real life! :)

Cheers,

Mark.

On another forum, there was some concern over the fact that in Australia, we generally leave the gladhands on the kadees for uncoupling.  The gladhands have been removed in the video (and I understand that this is common in North America).  The gladhand would certainly be in the way of the airhose and what about layouts with the uncoupler magnet?  Those can already cause problems with rolling stock with metal axles... what would the track uncoupler magnets do to these things?

An alternative would be to use the Sargent Engineering couplings - no gladhands.

The first thing I do with Kadees, or stock fitted with them, is cut the gladhands/trip pins off. I've never used them or the uncoupling magnets - can't stand the things. I'm not sure that it's true to say that we generally leave them on here, as I've noticed that a lot of the members of my club do the same - horses for courses I suppose.

I've got some Sargent knuckle couplers floating around somewhere, just never gotten around to fitting them, but I agree they'd be a good alternative to use in conjunction with these brake pipe hoses.

All the best,

Mark.

The first thing I do with Kadees, or stock fitted with them, is cut the gladhands/trip pins off. I've never used them or the uncoupling magnets - can't stand the things. I'm not sure that it's true to say that we generally leave them on here, as I've noticed that a lot of the members of my club do the same - horses for courses I suppose.

I've got some Sargent knuckle couplers floating around somewhere, just never gotten around to fitting them, but I agree they'd be a good alternative to use in conjunction with these brake pipe hoses.

All the best,

Mark.

I feel the same way about Kadee/Micro Trains trip pins.

On QR we have always been taught to undo the air hoses by hand, not let them pull apart.